Sprites Adding and balancing the Mechanical soul recipes.

Polly rolly

• Amazing, this idea makes so much sense and should be implemented

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • I agree that the souls need balancing, but I think it should be done a different way

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I get the idea, but it's not really needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible idea, the souls of sight need more recipes!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Storm

Golem
This suggestion has been partially implemented into my mod, the new weapons have been added: tModLoader - Storm Diver's Additions and Changes

Hello once again my Omega friends, if you’re not an Omega you’re still welcome, but inferior.

Now here’s something that’s been really bothering me for quite some time, of the three mechanical boss souls, one of them has twice as much uses than the other three, I’m looking at you souls of sight. Now take a look at this table, it shows how many souls it takes to craft one of each item that exclusively uses one of the three souls.
Soul of MightSoul of FrightSoul of Sight
Megashark x20​
Flamethrower x20​
Fairy Bell x10​
Light Disc x5 (x25)​
Naughty Present x5​
Logic Sensor (Player Above) x1​
-​
-​
Magical Harp x15​
-​
-​
Optic Staff x20​
-​
-​
Rainbow Rod x15​
25 (45) Total
25 Total
61 Total
Seriously, look at this, to craft one of everything it takes over twice as many Souls of sight as the other two, well I guess the Twins are technically two bosses, but still.

Here’s what I propose, some of the recipes should be changed, and perhaps a couple of new items could be added as well.
I also think each soul should be used per class:
Soul of Might
= Melee
Soul of Fright = Mage
Soul of Sight = Ranged.

Item​
Old recipe​
New recipe​
Misc.​
Flamethrower
Soul of Fright x20
Illegal Gun Parts x1
Any Iron Bar x20​
Soul of Sight x20
Illegal Gun Parts x1
Hallowed Bar x10​
Since this weapon is a ranged weapon, let’s move it over to using souls of sight instead of fright. Let’s also replace the Iron/Lead in the recipe to hallowed bars because it kinda bothers me that a mid-hardmode weapon needs a low tier bar to make.​
Megashark
Minishark x1
Soul of Might
x20
Illegal Gun Parts x1
Shark Fin x5​
Minishark x1 Soul of Sight x20
Illegal Gun Parts x1
Shark Fin x5​
To keep in line with Sight=Ranged, the Megashark will now be crafted with Souls of Sight, sorry for all of you who kill The Destroyer first for the Megashark.​
Pumpkin Moon Medallion item sprite
Pumpkin x30
Ectoplasmx5
Hallowed Bar x5​
Pumpkin x30
Ectoplasmx5
Soul of Fright x5​
Come on, they’re literally called souls of Fright, so why aren’t they used to craft the item that spawns a frightful event?​
Logic Sensor (Player Above)
Soul of Sight x1
Any Iron Bar x1
Wire x1​
Lens x1
Hallowed Bar x1
Wire x1​
Honestly why do these even use souls of sight? Ok I get it, they look for the player, but I still think it’s odd, especially since the other two don’t have any sensor. Let’s replace them with lenses and also add hallowed bars into the mix so they’re still post-mech boss.​
Magical Harp
Harp x1
Crystal Shard x20
Soul of Night x8
Soul of Sight x15​
Harp x1
Crystal Shard x20
Soul of Night x8
Soul of Fright x20​
Since Fright is now the mage soul, it only makes sense to change this, also let's increase the soul count to 20 so it's inline with the others.​
Rainbow Rod
Crystal Shard x10
Unicorn Horn x2
Pixie Dust x10
Soul of Light x5
Soul of Sight x15​
Crystal Shard x10
Unicorn Horn x2
Pixie Dust x10
Soul of Light x5
Soul of Fright x20​

Same as before, convert the Sight to Fright and increase the soul count to 20.​
Optic Staff
Black Lens x1
Lens x2
Hallowed Bar x12
Soul of Sight x20​
Black Lens x1
Lens x2
Hallowed Bar x12
Soul of Sight x10​
Now because this weapon is based off of the twins, it's best I keep it as a sight craftable, but I'll lower the soul count to just 10 so sight doesn't have too many recipes.​
Naughty Present
Silk x20
Ectoplasm x5
Soul of Fright x5​
Silk x20
Ectoplasm x5
Soul of Might
x5​
Let's just change this from fright to might just to balance out all of the souls.​
Fairy Bell
Bell x1
Pixie Dust x25
Soul of Sight x5​
Bell x1
Pixie Dust x25
Soul of Might x1
Soul of Fright x1
Soul of Sight x1​
Let's make this an award for killing all three mechanical bosses shall we?​
Now even with these changed, they are still imbalanced, so here’s a couple of new weapons I propose that can be added to fill in the difference.
The Seeker
LryuFRv.png

Earliest launcher, requires special ammunition. Rockets fired slightly home in and latch onto enemies and explode after a small delay. Basically an early nail gun. This is the new ranged weapon and will be crafted with souls of sight.

Damage: 55 (Ranged)
Knockback: 2
Crit Chance: 4%
Use Time: 25
Velocity: 4
Tooltip: “Launches mini latching eyes that explode after a delay”
Rarity: Pink
Sell:
Gold Coin dropped

Crafting:

Illegal Gun Parts x1
Explosive Powder x20
Soul of Sight x20
Hallowed Bar x10
@
Mythril Anvil/Orichalcum Anvil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seeker heads
jFBYTER.png

Ammunition used by The Seeker, they are bought from the Demolitionist for 30 Copper when The Seeker is in your inventory

Damage: 15 (Ranged)
Knockback: 1
Velocity: 1
Tooltip: “Used with The Seeker”
Buy/Sell:
Copper Coin dropped
/6
Copper Coin dropped

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Obliterator
7fUaBZs.png

vPgAHmg.png

Now before you all start raging at how useless chainsaws are as weapons, hear me out. When using this chainsaw it will fire a bunch of homing destroyer heads which deal damage to nearby enemies, and it fires them even faster if you hit an enemy with the chainsaw, that's special right?

Damage: 75 (Melee)
Knockback: 4
Axe power: 150%
Use Time: 20
Tooltip: “Not to be confused with the Sawmill”
Sell:
Gold Coin dropped

Crafting:

Sawtooth Shark item sprite
x1
Soul of Might
x20
Chain x20
Hallowed Barx10
@
The Vaporiser
czWrIgE.png
jj5iccb.png

This weapon here is a regular flail that fires a bunch of spikes when it strikes an enemy, the reason I have added a second melee weapon is to further fill the gap that souls of might have.

Damage: 65 (Melee)
Knockback: 6
Use Time: 50
Velocity: 17
Tooltip: “Releases a burst of lasers upon striking an enemy”
Sell:
Gold Coin dropped

Crafting:

Dao of Pow item sprite
x1
Hallowed Bar x15
Soul of Might
x20
@
The Prime Staff
2YCUbRh.png

2CU6fEz.png

This here is a magic staff that summons skulls that can ricochet of wall and enemies and do not pierce. This should be a decent enough magic weapon I hope, I've never designed any mage weapons before this :dryadtongue:

Damage: 65 (Magic)
Knockback: 4
Mana: 12
Use Time: 15
Velocity: 8
Tooltip: “Creates ricocheting skulls”
Sell: 4
Gold Coin dropped

Crafting:
Ruby Staff
OR Diamond Staffx1
Crystal Shard x20
Unicorn Horn x2
Soul of Fright x20
@
So with all that out of the way, let’s take a look at the new soul count:
Soul of Might
Soul of Fright
Soul of Sight
Light Discx5 (x25)​
Magical Harp
x20​
Megashark x20​
7fUaBZs.png
x20​
Rainbow Rod x20​
Flamethrowerx20​

czWrIgE.png
x20​
2YCUbRh.png
x20​
LryuFRv.png
x20​
Naughty Present x5+​
Pumpkin Moon Medallion item sprite
x5+​
Optic Staff x10​
50 (70)+ Total
65+ Total
70 Total
Much more balanced,

Honestly this is probably a bad idea and I really feel that souls of Fright should be for ranged, but again I’m sure people don’t want to have to kill the Skeletron prime to get the Megashark. SO what do you think of this idea, good, bad? Or should I leave this place and never return?

Last edited:
Omicron is the superior letter
I was actually going to use Phi or Sigma in my name, but then I realized that might confuse some people :p

Also, Might sounds like a more melee-ish name to me, but I guess it doesn't matter all that much?

Reactions: Bry
I was actually going to use Phi or Sigma in my name, but then I realized that might confuse some people :p

Also, Might sounds like a more melee-ish name to me, but I guess it doesn't matter all that much?
I was going to use might for melee, but like I said I wanted to keep the Megashark a Destroyer drop.

This has bothered me for many millenia; I may now rest in peace.
Aw, those new mech weapons are actually really neat. Does the Seeker actually not home in? Because the name lead me to believe it does.
I was going to use might for melee, but like I said I wanted to keep the Megashark a Destroyer drop.
Why's that? 'Cuz I also consider Souls of Might as the Melee soul.

This has bothered me for many millenia; I may now rest in peace.
Aw, those new mech weapons are actually really neat. Does the Seeker actually not home in? Because the name lead me to believe it does.

Why's that? 'Cuz I also consider Souls of Might as the Melee soul.
Well I wasn't sure whether they should home in, as it might be a little overpowered, but I suppose it should, I'd just need to nerf it a little.

Like I said many people fight the Destroyer first to get the Megashark, I don't think people would want to fight the skeletron prime first.

Also if I were to swap fright and might then the Pumpkin Moon Medallion would also need to use mights to be balanced, unless I add 1 or 2 new melee weapons. Also both new weapons I added are based off of the bosses that drop the souls.

Update:
Ok I just now realise that Sight makes sense for ranged, and fright mage, though I'm not entirely sure I should swap them, but if I do maybe I'll make the evil moon summons require one of each soul instead, or just ectoplasm and hallowed bars.
Also I looked back at the 1.1 crafting recipes and souls of sight were still in top, but the other two were more balanced:

Might:
NO9ITMe.png

Fright:
0ZxUwwJ.png

Sight:
CyUcGN5.png
And the repeater was made with sights, yet sights were still used for all magic weapons, strange.

Last edited:
Ok so major Update @Bry-ccentric @Spazmatism7 @Derpling Ω and anyone else:
  • Souls of Might are now for Melee, Fright is now for Mage and Sight is now for Ranged, recipes have been changed accordingly.
  • Added a new Melee and Mage weapon, The Vaporiser; a new Flail and The Prime staff; a new staff weapon.
  • The Seeker now fires homing eye rockets, and the chain saw has been renamed to The Obilterator and now fires mini destroyer heads.
  • The fairy bell now requires one of each soul instead of 5 souls of sight.
  • Naughty presents now use souls of mights to balance them out.
  • Soul requirements for the magic weapons have been increased to 20.
  • The Optic staff remains a Soul of sight weapon, but it only requires 10 souls now.
  • Plus some other changed I may have missed.
All this has been updated in the first post, and you can see the new table is even more balanced now, with 3 weapons for each of the 3 classes (and one for summoner, but :dryadtongue:)

I believe that the flamethrower should keep some lead bars in it, as I believe that the purpose of having them in is that they want some uses for early ores after you exit pre-hardmode. I find that to be smart and wish they did it more.
Also,the sprite appears to be made out of iron/lead and not out of hallowed bars.
Though I agree with the fact that some of it should be hallowed, and I say it would make more sense to have half of the bars as hallowed and half of it as iron.
This is a really good suggestion by the way. It's so simple but really smart.

I believe that the flamethrower should keep some lead bars in it, as I believe that the purpose of having them in is that they want some uses for early ores after you exit pre-hardmode. I find that to be smart and wish they did it more.
Also,the sprite appears to be made out of iron/lead and not out of hallowed bars.
Though I agree with the fact that some of it should be hallowed, and I say it would make more sense to have half of the bars as hallowed and half of it as iron.
The thing is, you already need iron for the boss summons. It’s tiresome to need that much iron.

I was lazy and made the sprites use the mechanical boss colour palette :dryadtongue: And surprise surprise this has been modded into my mod (With changes to the new weapons), well split across both, the vanilla recipe changes in one and the new items in the other.

I was lazy and made the sprites use the mechanical boss colour palette :dryadtongue: And surprise surprise this has been modded into my mod (With changes to the new weapons), well split across both, the vanilla recipe changes in one and the new items in the other.
I'm going to reinstall T-Modloader just for your mod if it ever comes out.

Interesting concept! I do agree that the soul recipes are unbalanced, but maybe the souls don't have to be class-specific.

I agree with the idea, especially because I always thought the one weapon made with souls of fright was underwhelming. but I don't think you need to add so many weapons and make so many changes to fix it.
if you just tie the pixie bell and sensor to hallowed bars, and change the megashark to use souls of fright, it's already pretty balanced. with that you could just add the flail you designed for the souls of might and you'd achieve a similar balance without having to compromise the original creative input of the devs too much. I kinda like prime as the defacto ranger boss because he wields actual gun-like weapons during the fight. I also like the twins as the mage boss because of their connection to the hallow.

When I read this a good song from deltarune soundtrack 1 started playing
COINCIDENCE I THINK NOT
It actually went really well with the theme of this post.

Back
Top Bottom