Items Adding more crafting with Strange Dyes! (And solving part of their RNG)

What should we do with the Reflective Dyes?

• Use the Reflective Metal Dye to craft, and leave plain Reflective Dye as another possible drop.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Perume

Official Terrarian
1.3 vastly improved the dyeing system. Now, there are a lot of "strange" dyes which can be adquired from the Dye Trader, solving his unusefulness throughout the game. However, another problem was created: The RNG that came with it.

Though most of these dyes aren't used for any crafting, two of these are: The Shifting Sands Dye (Used to craft the "Shifting Pearlsands Dye"), and the Gel Dye (Used to craft the "Pink Gel Dye"). That's surprisingly few recipies, knowing that there are more than 30 of these dyes. And you get only three of each of them for each strange plant you find, ending with 12 of the dye you don't want, and three to none of the one you need.

So, to solve that, we should add more recipies with the existing dyes, and leave less to RNG:
  • Instead of having the Acid Dye, the Red Acid Dye, and the Blue Acid Dye, we should have either a "Blank" Acid Dye (with the same effect, but white) or just the Acid Dye. Then, both Red and Blue versions could be crafted with other dyes or materials.
  • The same with Hades Dye. The current, "blueish" dye should be the only one you can get through strange plant trading. Then, by adding some materials (Living flames for Burning Hades, Shadowflame...something for Shadowflame Hades...) we should be able to craft the rest of them. Furthermore, we could add more variations of this dye, to add even more into the game. Cursed Hades Dye would be a great example of that (the reason for me to write this...)
  • By removing the reflective metallic dyes, and making them craftable, we are removing five potential unwanted items from the "Strange Dyes" pool. All of them should be crafted from respective dyes and 5 of the ore of your choice. For Reflective Copper Dye, either a bottle of Reflective Dye or Reflective Metal Dye (that's up to discusion) and 5 copper ore (or tin ore). Or we could even add Reflective Dyes for the alternates. For variety's sake.
  • Also, Shifing Ebonsands and Shifting Crimsands should exist. The fact that you can only craft one of the "Hardmode sands" bothers my OCD. A lot.
Also, to further allow easier customising, dyes should be allowed to be bought from the dye trader after getting them at least once or a few times (Thanks to Darthmorph for the idea).

This opens a lot of possibilities to further personalize your character. Did you like Hades dye, but it does not match your colorset? Now you can craft variations of it! Do you keep getting loads of Reflective Obsidian Dyes, but none of that elusive Reflecting Silver Dye? Fear no more! Now you can choose the one you want to have! Simple as that. :)

Last edited:
1.3 vastly improved the dyeing system. Now, there are a lot of "strange" dyes which can be adquired from the Dye Trader, solving his unusefulness throughout the game. However, another problem was created: The RNG that came with it.

Though most of these dyes aren't used for any crafting, two of these are: The Shifting Sands Dye (Used to craft the "Shifting Pearlsands Dye"), and the Gel Dye (Used to craft the "Pink Gel Dye"). That's surprisingly few recipies, knowing that there are more than 30 of these dyes. And you get only three of each of them for each strange plant you find, ending with 12 of the dye you don't want, and three to none of the one you need.

So, to solve that, we should add more recipies with the existing dyes, and leave less to RNG:
  • Instead of having the Acid Dye, the Red Acid Dye, and the Blue Acid Dye, we should have either a "Blank" Acid Dye (with the same effect, but white) or just the Acid Dye. Then, both Red and Blue versions could be crafted with other dyes or materials.
  • The same with Hades Dye. The current, "blueish" dye should be the only one you can get through strange plant trading. Then, by adding some materials (Living flames for Burning Hades, Shadowflame...something for Shadowflame Hades...) we should be able to craft the rest of them. Furthermore, we could add more variations of this dye, to add even more into the game. Cursed Hades Dye would be a great example of that (the reason for me to write this...)
  • By removing the reflective metallic dyes, and making them craftable, we are removing five potential unwanted items from the "Strange Dyes" pool. All of them should be crafted from respective dyes and 5 of the ore of your choice. For Reflective Copper Dye, either a bottle of Reflective Dye or Reflective Metal Dye (that's up to discusion) and 5 copper ore (or tin ore). Or we could even add Reflective Dyes for the alternates. For variety's sake.
  • Also, Shifing Ebonsands and Shifting Crimsands should exist. The fact that you can only craft one of the "Hardmode sands" bothers my OCD. A lot.

This opens a lot of possibilities to further personalize your character. Did you like Hades dye, but it does not match your colorset? Now you can craft variations of it! Do you keep getting loads of Reflective Obsidian Dyes, but none of that elusive Reflecting Silver Dye? Fear no more! Now you can choose the one you want to have! Simple as that. :)
And, with the living flame dye, we could craft living blue flame and living cursed flame dyes.

Seems like a good idea. With your reduction in dye amounts, do you reckon there would be enough space for the dye trader to sell dyes once they've been unlocked via strange plant?

Seems like a good idea. With your reduction in dye amounts, do you reckon there would be enough space for the dye trader to sell dyes once they've been unlocked via strange plant?
The dye trader woldn't sell any more dyes. I guess that it would be easier for us (the players) to get the dye we want through strange plant trading given the fact that there would be less possibilities to get the dye we don't want. That way, there's still a bit of the "random" chance we have now, but we have some degree of choosing the dye we want.
But unlocking some dyes that way is also a good idea.

The dye trader woldn't sell any more dyes. I guess that it would be easier for us (the players) to get the dye we want through strange plant trading given the fact that there would be less possibilities to get the dye we don't want. That way, there's still a bit of the "random" chance we have now, but we have some degree of choosing the dye we want.
But unlocking some dyes that way is also a good idea.
I meant that once you found the dye, you could buy as much as you like. It's a massive grind. I always seem to get the reflective metal dyes.

I meant that once you found the dye, you could buy as much as you like. It's a massive grind. I always seem to get the reflective metal dyes.

I've thoght of two possibilities:
-The dyes without crafting recipes (such as the Shadow dye) could be unlocked after getting them (once or several times).
-Or maybe each dye could be unlocked after getting it once or a few times (Once you have some bottles of that "unique" dye I guess he won't care about selling you more of it)
And, if there are too many strange dyes for his inventory, he should just shuffle them everyday. Mixing special dyes inbetween, to make it feel like he's constantly trading with them.

Also, unrelated with it: What should we do with the Grim Dye?

I actually made a suggestion thread about this, and yes, there's just enough space for the the strange dyes + a free slot for selling things.

YES PLEASE. I like the reflective dyes, but there's something like six different varieties, which occupies a LOT of RNG spaces. Making them craftable instead would be much more favorable, especially if you could, say, craft them back into the regular variant at, say, water or something. Would make things even more convenient.

Also, since Shadowflame was brought up, I'd totally be down for a droppable Shadowflame item from Summoners (and maybe Sorcerors) in Hardmode Goblin Invasions. Would open up even more room for cool stuff.

I was wondering if this was a post yet, I mean they have three acid dyes that are RGB. I figured they'd have added a way to mix those into other colors. I was really hoping to make red and blue into a purple acid dye.

Back
Top Bottom