Biomes & Nature Addition to the desert: Meteorite landing causes nearby sand to become glass

Pericles_Corde

Terrarian
I don't know if that's the right place to post it, but I post it here because it affects a biome, or technically two biomes.

The idea is short and simple. What I have noticed is that whenever a meteorite lands in the desert, it is really difficult to get all of the ores. Sand falls, it is generally even more dangerous to mine the meteorite, etcetera. My thought was that we could add a mechanic to the desert whenever a meteorite lands. Once the meteorite spawns in the desert, nearby sand is converted into glass. Why? Because it's logical. And it would make mining it a lot easier.

Besides, that could also be a cool new source to get glass from. Perhaps you could make it a special type of glass... "Reinforced glass" that could maybe be turned into something. Like armor. Though, glass armor sounds painful if you get hit to be honest.

Well, if that's the wrong spot to suggest that, please move it into the right section.

Best regards ~ Pericles Corde

This is a pretty good idea, but why make glass meteors to make the game logical? It isn't supposed to be, after all :dryadgrin:

I disagree; Terraria is meant to be more surreal than illogical. It is absolutely okay to add logical elements to the game if they make the game less frustrating to play, as is the case here.
What I'm saying is that logic isn't really a reason to suggest stuff in this kind of thing, Because purposefully atempting to make Terraria logical is only gonna make it much more awkward.

I like this. Player-made glass looks a little artificial, though, which is why I can see Hardened Sand being used as a substitute.
I like this idea, rather than the awkward glass of Terraria being spawned in, perhaps Hardened Sand would be a nice substitute, your logic for that is the pressure from the meteor would pressurize the sand making it much harder and packed.

EDIT: Went ahead and tried it on a small segment...it doesn't look TOOO bad, still unnatural tho.
Capture 2019-01-29 00_08_13.png

Last edited:
thought - and like the previous screenshot shows too - it looks really unnatural (and IMO, uggly). maybe part because the desert usually doesn't have background walls either in those areas.
Hardened sand might would work, but I don't really know how would it be possible to code it that it woulld happen only if a meteor lands in a desert, and not in any other cases.

By the way, I think I read some even prefer a meteor landing in a desert, because easier to mine, like, standing on the sand (which won't burn you) on top of meteorite ore, when you mine the ore, the sand will go down and you can reach more ores all while not gettig burned by the meteorite. (of course, you could just use an obsidian skull too) then again, another possibility is, to just throw some bombs or dynamites in the crash site and then pick up the ores...

Hey, thanks for the feedback. The glass-idea was mainly inspired by the event when a lightning hits the sand which causes a very beautiful impact point made out of glass. Of course, it's not that perfect glass as we know it. It doesn't even really look like glass. It looks a little something like this I think:
5FTjbab.png

Well, I thought the same would happen if a meteorite would hit the sand. Not entirely sure of course, never saw that happen before... luckily. But I just thought it would maybe look cool, make more sense or perhaps make it a little easier too. Because one thing I hate about mining meteorite in sand is that it takes endlessly long compared to other locations, and you have two hazards, one being the fire block, other one being sand itself. I believe they call that petrified glass. Perhaps that would be a good material. But hardened sand also works. We should use the resources available to us.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. The glass-idea was mainly inspired by the event when a lightning hits the sand which causes a very beautiful impact point made out of glass. Of course, it's not that perfect glass as we know it. It doesn't even really look like glass. It looks a little something like this I think:
5FTjbab.png

Well, I thought the same would happen if a meteorite would hit the sand. Not entirely sure of course, never saw that happen before... luckily. But I just thought it would maybe look cool, make more sense or perhaps make it a little easier too. Because one thing I hate about mining meteorite in sand is that it takes endlessly long compared to other locations, and you have two hazards, one being the fire block, other one being sand itself. I believe they call that petrified glass. Perhaps that would be a good material. But hardened sand also works. We should use the resources available to us.
It’s called fulgurite or “petrified lightning” and looks awesome so if they added it, it would be amazing! But the hardened sand works as well. (Either way, good suggestion)

Back
Top Bottom