1. We have hub threads for known bugs/issues and statuses of fixes for Mobile, 3DS, and Console platforms (UPDATED):
    Click here for Mobile
    Click here for 3DS
    Click here for PS3/PS4/PS Vita/XBox 360/XBox One

Additional Changes to Water, With Community Feedback

Discussion in 'PC - Re-Logic' started by Safeman, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Thread was lock by: Tunnel King
Reason: features have been added in 1.3.4
Lock date: 03:25 17-01-2017
  1. Safeman

Safeman Community Manager Staff Member Re-Logic

We recently spoiled some upcoming changes on how water will look and as always, your supportive and enthusiastic response is appreciated. Along with that, we received some great suggestions and feedback on how to improve the water visuals even more. With your help, @Skiphs made some additional changes. Check out the current, before, and after videos below, and let us know what you think! :)

divid.png

Current 1.3.3

New Version (before community feedback)

New Version with edits as requested by the community

divi.png

For another look at the same changes in an Underground setting, check out the spoilers below.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Hinayuna, Pixel Wolf, TMB50 and 69 others like this.
  2. Izzabelle

Izzabelle Terrarian

Wow, this is shaping up really nicely!
    [​IMG]

Really appreciate the work going into still supporting Terraria and making it better bit by bit.

3. Safeman

Safeman Community Manager Staff Member Re-Logic

I held back on all the water puns in the post, but I expect the comments to be drowning in them :)

4. Jetstream ∞

Jetstream ∞ Cultist

You can definitely sea an improvement! I'd say make the water particles a bit more noticeable when exiting and entering the water, if anything.

5. Mystery

Mystery The Mysterious One

Love water. Love the way it works. Water is gonna be huuuge. It's a big deal. It moves around, the way it should and it's great! Wow, water. So good for the game, the community--everybody loves water. Just you wait, this water is gonna be GREAT. I have several waters in my employment, and let me say, they are great at what they do. I recommend water to everyone

6. Wolf kin

Wolf kin Skeletron Prime

Yay now I just have to wait to get a new ps4 or buy a pc and get terraria!

7. MegaMage314

MegaMage314 Skeletron Prime

Awesome work, the new changes are a lot more noticeable now, really helps add more impact when something hits the surface! I'm curious how the water looks (or will look) when it's flowing, too.

8. Migui

Migui Skeletron Prime

Cool! But wil this new visuals be present in lava and honey?

Lunatic Lobbyist and Crimwolf like this.
  9. Crimwolf

Crimwolf Retinazer

The new one looks a lot smoother good job @Skiphs

Safeman likes this.
  10. ahamling27

ahamling27 Terrarian

Looks great! Absolutely love the level polish going into the game, even 5 years after release. Keep up the great work!

11. Kazzymodus

Kazzymodus Lunatic Cultist

Nice! I really like the new divergent waves, as opposed to the single lateral one.

If anything, maybe there could be a little water distortion where the water from waterfalls hits the water surface? I doubt that's technically possible, as they're two different layers, but consider Skiphs is an actual wizard, you never know...

12. MegaMage314

MegaMage314 Skeletron Prime

Maybe instead of distortion, it could affect the direction water flows on the surface, with it flowing away from a waterfall that's falling in and flowing towards a waterfall that flows out. I imagine that's still pretty complicated, but it might work if different pools of water can flow in different directions.

Lunatic Lobbyist and Kazzymodus like this.
  13. Skiphs

Skiphs Programmer Staff Member Re-Logic Administrator

This is actually something I tried out extensively, but unfortunately due to the smooth look of waterfalls and the generally calm water underground it just looked weird.

It's possible that some combination of ripples and splashes would make it look natural, but as of right now there's no effect for it.

stefnotch, Crimwolf, Xman101 and 4 others like this.
  14. SnailsAttack

SnailsAttack Terrarian

i like how you guys can do this awesome :red: but you cant add more than 4 liquids

game engines and their limitations are weird

Anyways, its so cool how you guys are experimenting with graphic distortion and such.

Question : could it be possible to give heat distortion effects to certain blocks?

StarHorder, Crimwolf, Xman101 and 2 others like this.
  15. Diablonar

Diablonar Terrarian

You could make it so if the surface is hit with enough velocity, as regulated by surface area (larger object surfaces need less velocity, or just skip this calculation if it's too demanding), it creates a "proper splash", aka with the water first going down and then up and splashing upwards.
    No need to be realistic about the way the water splashes into the air, as long as it's somewhat chaotic/random/effect-like.
    So if a player object hits with x mph, splash. Otherwise, nothing. Or regulated, depending on how you wanna optimize it.

Similarly, players exiting water would pull up water in a broader but weaker effect, maybe even drip for a few steps and have wet footstep sounds. Grass could turn darker when close to water blocks, or a wet player steps on it, before drying up. But this is a bit demanding.

You could also cause slight surface ripples if something big below the water is moving very fast. Just use the preexisting stuff, nerf it, and trigger it if the object is close enough to the surface for the "underwater movement effects" to almost reach the surface. Attacks could boost this, and explosives could cause the entire surface to get tiny ripples like it does IRL. Kinda like the water glass in, I think a Jurassic Park scene?

Joost8910 likes this.
  16. KaiserYoshi

KaiserYoshi Steampunker

Most of this stuff looks fantastic, but I stand by what I said on reddit last time: the trail of distortion behind the player while underwater looks extremely unnatural and out of place, and will mostly only serve to make underwater builds harder to look at.

17. darthmorf

darthmorf Party Girl

These look even better than before!

18. Dark_Reaper115

Dark_Reaper115 Terrarian

Looks really nice. :D

19. Manguito

Manguito Terrarian

Estaria padre que agregaran olas :happy:

20. Diamondmatter

Diamondmatter Skeletron Prime

The latest one looks kinda like jello to me, I think it would look better if the ripples lasted longer and were a bit slower, and maybe less jiggly, I guess?
    Still awesome to see water moving now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.