Additional Changes to Water, With Community Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there you have it. ;)
Not quite. As I mentioned "I would love to *see*" it; much like we were kindly shown different versions of the ripples.

I'm sure people would love seeing a gif of what came out from all the extensive testing for splash effects with waterfalls, even if it doesn't end up being used.

Yush! This is really looking some awesome improvements right there, great work!

I love how the splash is more noticeable on the slimes as well, and there's some cool underwater effect too.

If anything, water splash could look give a little more impact. ( not the waving, but more the water flying around when diving, that's almost unnoticeable now) that would be great.

I...I don't know what to say.
I love you guys!I really appreciate everything you've done and keep doing for Terraria!
Cheers! <3

I'd say if you're taking requests from the community, I've got one to help the water make more sense in a way:
For a high quality mode, the water's color would be changed by sampling colors above it and around it every few frames or so, then adding the color pigment of the biome partially, sampling the colors above the water would be more important, for example, if the player was on the surface next to water, the water's color would adapt to the sky and clouds, emulating reflections without destroying the framerate, it's also possible that it could sample relative to the player's position on the screen.

Also, is it possible that this could be applied to slimes in a way to make them feel more slimy?

I like the graphical fidelity of the distortion since it looks awesome, but from a practical POV, will the options for water effects be separated into discreet Wave Effects and Distortion Effects? Or will they be tied together? The reason I ask is because while distortion looks very nice, it makes looking at objects underwater hard to focus on (at least long-term. I can imagine my eyes getting tired of it.)

Unless being in/under the water clears up the distortion so everything in it looks nice and crisp. (Maybe accessory-related? Diving Helmet- and Neptune's Shell-class accessories letting you see clearing underwater?) Distortion effects are nice when it just ambient and not directly part of the gameplay, IMHO. (Then again, I'll probably get used to it eventually if I play often enough.)

This looks much better! The water seems much more fluid than before! I heard that you guys are in fact adding a settings option to disable / enable this feature in the future. Therefore, I have a very small suggestion, why not do the same to the current heat distortion effect in 1.3.3? It's a nice effect, but it would be great to disable it, for those of us with weaker hardware and for those of us who just want to disable it! Overall, it looks much better than before, keep up the work guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom