• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Begin your search for Journey's End information here and here. Please report bugs and issues for Journey's End here.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Adventurer NPC!

What do you think?

• Not a bad idea.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Not a good idea.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

The TechnoMancer

Skeletron Prime
I have a spectacular idea! Have you ever thought of an NPC... that would help you? No? Oh. Okay. ANYWAY! Devs, please consider an NPC which you can hire to follow, and assist you. Acting similarly to a pet, except with a few modifications. He/She will indeed have a health bar, even when on a quest with you. When on a quest, and you are far away from him/her, he/she will visibly use a rod of discord to teleport to the player. After a full day of (paid) adventure, They will chat to you saying "That's all you paid me for. I'm going home." and will use a magic mirror, and teleport back to his/her house the player built. The adventurer will get stronger the further the player advances in the game.

EX:
Start Of Game: 250 HP, 10 DPH ( damage per hit) 10 Silver to hire
Post-Eye Of Cthulu: 300 HP, 20 DPH 50 Silver to hire
Post-Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu: 350 HP, 30 DPH 1 Gold to Hire
Hardmode: 500 HP, 60 DPH 5 Gold to hire
Post-Mechanical Boss: 550 HP, 70 DPH 7 Gold to hire
Post-Plantera: 600 HP, 80 DPH 10 Gold to hire
Post-Golem: 600 HP, 100 DPH 15 Gold to hire
Post-Moon Lord: 600 HP, 170 DPH 30 Gold to hire

If you talk to this NPC during a quest, they will greet you with one of the dialogues below.
"What do you want? Can't you see I'm fighting?" (Only if enemies are nearby)
"Yeah? Is there something you want? (Only if enemies aren't too close by)
"What's up?" (No special conditions)
"It sure is dark out. Are you planning on summoning (boss that player still hasn't beaten yet)?" (Only at night, Only if player still has bosses to beat)
"I've got a bad feeling about this..." (While near a blue candle)
"So... What now?" (After beating a boss)
After this, you'll have an option to fire them. If you do, he/she'll use a magic mirror to teleport back to his house.

If he is spoken to while not on an adventure, he will talk to you with the dialogue below.
"Are you going to hire me, or what?"
"That's a neat weapon. Mind if I take it off your hands? ...No? Fine."
"Your gear isn't nearly advanced enough if you plan on beating [Boss]." (If defense is low)
"So you're telling me that you've got everything you need to beat [Boss], but you're still too much of a wimp to slay it?" (If listed requirements are met)
"Maybe I could help with beating [Boss]." (If player has died to that boss more than five times)
"Come on, I'm just WAITING to be hired."
After this, the player is given the option to hire this NPC, or upgrade his DPH. Each upgrade increases his DPH by 5%, and the price increases by the same margin. The default price is 50 silver.

That's basically my idea. It doesn't really matter what he fights with, it doesn't even have to be an actual item. If the devs choose not to implement this, I hope they can at least make a similar mechanism for NPCs.

Also, credit to ChaoticGamer for inspiration.

Prices lowered, thanks to KMC98.

Last edited:

ChaoticGamer

Terrarian
Yes, I took some inspiration from your post, but forgot to credit you. Sorry about that.
its cool. Lets see the dev will like it, if not. Well I recommend for dev give the modders a bloody chance add it to steam workshop so they can easy place that mod into the game instead of long way downloading from website that cause error crash here and there because data incorrection spot. The dev trying tough it up or either they might got lazy, lets hope they didn't got lazy. If they did, I will forgive, but I don't know the other people won't or either they will give up supporting the game, because we are few under minor supporters who still like see the game still provid, if the game stop then we might jump into some random minecraft game likeness or terraria version likeness because it has a stories.

The TechnoMancer

Skeletron Prime
its cool. Lets see the dev will like it, if not. Well I recommend for dev give the modders a bloody chance add it to steam workshop so they can easy place that mod into the game instead of long way downloading from website that cause error crash here and there because data incorrection spot. The dev trying tough it up or either they might got lazy, lets hope they didn't got lazy. If they did, I will forgive, but I don't know the other people won't or either they will give up supporting the game, because we are few under minor supporters who still like see the game still provid, if the game stop then we might jump into some random minecraft game likeness or terraria version likeness because it has a stories.
I'm going to do something stupid. Hah. I'm going to share this thing with the devs. Which ones are working on otherworld again?

KMC98

Terrarian
I have a spectacular idea! Have you ever thought of an NPC... that would help you? No? Oh. Okay. ANYWAY! Devs, please consider an NPC which you can hire to follow, and assist you. Acting similarly to a pet, except with a few modifications. He/She will indeed have a health bar, even when on a quest with you. When on a quest, and you are far away from him/her, he/she will visibly use a rod of discord to teleport to the player. After a full day of (paid) adventure, They will chat to you saying "That's all you paid me for. I'm going home." and will use a magic mirror, and teleport back to his/her house the player built. The adventurer will get stronger the further the player advances in the game.

EX:
Start Of Game: 250 HP, 10 DPH ( damage per hit) 10 Silver to hire
Post-Eye Of Cthulu: 300 HP, 20 DPH 1 Gold to hire
Post-Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu: 350 HP, 30 DPH 5 Gold to Hire
Hardmode: 500 HP, 50 DPH 7 Gold to hire
Post-Mechanical Boss: 550 HP, 60 DPH 10 Gold to hire
Post-Plantera: 600 HP, 70 DPH 12 Gold to hire
Post-Golem: 600 HP, 80 DPH 15 Gold to hire
Post-Moon Lord: 600 HP, 100 DPH 30 Gold to hire

That's basically my idea. It doesn't really matter what he fights with, it doesn't even have to be an actual item. If the devs choose not to implement this, I hope they can at least make a similar mechanism for NPCs.

Also, credit to ChaoticGamer for inspiration.
I think your idea is really cool but the cost is high

Top Bottom