Advices for Normal/Expert Mechanical Bosses

Ezel

Empress of Light
Are you stuck on the Mechanical Bosses? You don't know which one to choose first? Well, I made this thread to tell some advices and ways I used in my Expert Mode world to defeat these bosses. This works with Normal mode too, but it's mostly made for Expert (especially that it allows to have a sixth accessory slot in Hardmode). So let's go!

Note: Because I'm a meele/ranged person, it may not help everyone, as I didn't use magic or summon weapons there. Still, you can use this way if you want.

Some people ask: which should I fight first? My suggestion would be The Destroyer. Why? He's the most predictable boss of all three and you can limit his attacks by creating a skybridge high above him.

So what to do? First a solid skybridge would be good. Something like the height of your screen should work, but don't make it too high or he may despawn. Use solid blocks for this and put a 10-20 block hole in the middle (you can make two holes just in case) and place platforms there. Why? This is where you'll attack The Destroyer. Solid blocks protect you from his lasers that can be deadly. The only threat would be his probes.

Here's the gear I used for ALL Mechanical Bosses:

- Palladium Armor (for health regen)
- Worm Scarf (you can equip Frozen Turtle Shell for critical situations if your world is Crimson or you're on Normal Mode)
- Star Veil (longer immunity after harmed + falling stars)
- Wings (any)
- Spectre/Lightning/Frostspark Boots.
- A shield (Cobalt, Obsidian or Ankh Shield)
- Since I was playing Expert Mode, I equipped an extra Yo-yo Bag.

Put campfires/heart lanterns to increase your health regen. Potions will help too. I suggest:

- Ironskin Potion
- Regeneration Potion
- Swiftness Potion
- Well Fed buff
- Endurance Potion

They'll work for every boss. I suggest also a Gravitation Potion for The Twins. I'll tell you why it's useful, don't worry.

The Destroyer

Weapons I used:

- Amarok (Hel-Fire should work too) with a yo-yo bag.
- Nimbus Rod

The battle:

Once you summon him, get to your bridge and use the Nimbus Rod to place the clouds above the platforms. They'll do very high damage to the boss. Note that you'll need to re-summon them after one minute.

His lasers aren't a threat, but the probes are... at least at the beginning. Use your yo-yo to harm the probes. Learn to dodge (if you have problems with dodging, a Shield Of Cthulhu will help with the dashing ability. Titanium Armor also gives a buff causing the enemy to miss sometimes while attacking you). At the very beginning it's possible you'll get overwhelmed by them. Just don't stay in place. Move a lot, use your wings and hit the probes that are close to you. Watch out for their lasers. Once you kill them, some hearts will be dropped. Collect them only when you're getting low on health to avoid using any potions. Here are also some tips:

- The yo-yo bag allows to hit several probes at once due to two counterweights and an extra yo-yo. This makes killing swarms of them much easier.
- Palladium and Titanium Armor are the best choices, especially for new players. They both give a good buff after striking an enemy that increases your survivability.
- Avoid getting hit by Destroyer's head. It deals the most damage and it causes a severe health drop in Expert Mode. It's always better to get hit by his body which deals much less damage.
- When the boss health gets low, his probes will be much more rare. You can use your yo-yo to deal extra damage to the boss.
- Use the probes to your advantage. They can drop hearts. Use them only when you're low on health. Don't use potions until you're about to die.

Once you defeat him, you'll get Souls Of Might. They'll help you a lot! Get some shark fins (5), buy Illegal Gun Parts from the Arms Dealer (20 gold) and
a Minishark (35 gold) if you haven't bought it before. Use the souls you gathered to create a Megashark. It's usually the most basic weapon for the Mech Bosses.

Skeletron Prime

You don't need to change your arena, but you can add extra rows of platforms for better mobility. The armor and potions will work the same, so you don't need to change them. What now?

Weapons:

I think a Megashark with crystal bullets will work just fine. They split into small shards that deal extra damage. If you have Crimson, you can use ichor bullets.

The battle:

Since it's early-Hardmode, focus only on his head. Like all enemies, you must defeat him 'till dawn. If not, he'll get enraged and insta-kill you (remember this if you're a mediumcore/hardcore character!). If you use crystal bullets, the shards can damage his arms or destroy one or two of them. It may make the battle easier.
Some tips:

- Ichor works good, because his head and his arms aren't immune to it. This way you can lower his defense and switch to a better weapon to kill him. You can also create a mix of Ichor and crystal bullets to damage him even more!
- Because crystal bullets split into small shards, you can try to destroy one or two of his hands, but still - focus on his head. It's the main key to success. Killing his hands makes the battle easier, though.
- Avoid getting hit by his head, especially when he spins. This way he can do a lot of damage and kill you easily. Still, you can use this to your advantage. When he spins, his movement is slowed down, allowing you for more accurate shooting. Keep an eye for his arms, but it's still better to get hit by these than by his head while spinning.
- Float a bit above the ground. One of his hands will toss bombs on the ground, forcing you to jump or float.
- When he's spinning, lasers may shoot faster, the Prime Saw and Prime Vice will try to catch you and the cannon will get quicker, shooting bombs towards you.
- If the battle occured to fast or you didn't get the wings yet, don't worry. A good way is to create a skybridge in the space. You'll jump high enough to avoid most of his attacks. Unfortunately, it's a bit risky. Why? If you're unlucky, a Wyvern can appear, making this battle MUCH harder. It's uncommon though (I used this way once, on one of my first maps before 1.3).

Defeating him will give you Souls Of Fright and more Hallowed Bars. Two done, now the last one - The Twins!

The Twins

I find them the hardest in Expert Mode, but it depends on the ammo you're using. I did it pretty well with crystal bullets, even easier than SP. It really depends on the weapon you're using.

Anyway, using the same weapons as before will work. Just get your Megashark and more crystal bullets. If you use potions, I suggest a Gravitation Potion. Just DON'T drink it yet. Use it in the later phase.

I suggest to create a longer bridge to give the player some time to react. Any speed boosting stuff will only help.

The battle:

So we start with two eyes - Retinazer and Spazmatism. Which to kill first? I suggest Spazmatism. His attacks are more deadly, especially in the second phase. Crystal bullets will do a quick work of them, just keep running around, flying and dodging. Don't attack both at once and DON'T force them to change into their second form at once, it will make your fight much harder.

Once Spazmatism turns into the 2nd form, drink your Gravitation Potion. His flames are now very deadly (his charges too). Keep running and flying around. If it's going to get you, change the gravity by pressing your "UP" key. This way you'll probably avoid getting hit. It helps a lot and it can save your life. Change the gravity to normal when you get enough distance. This is an useful method to avoid getting hit by his flame or by his charge attack. Keep shooting at him until he's dead.

When he's dead, take out Retinazer. He shouldn't be hurt too much if you want to avoid death. His lasers get more quick and accurate in the progress. Now you don't need the Gravitation Potion, but you can use it when it starts to shoot rapidly. Keep shooting and dodging until he's dead. The Star Veil/Cross Necklace is very helpful here (and in most battles).

Killing them gives you Souls Of Sight and more Hallowed. Now you can craft a Pickaxe Axe/Drax and prepare for new challenges.

Well, here are the tactics I used for the bosses. Some seem to be simple, but some people may not know about them. Anyway, I hope it helped.
Any suggestions? Comments? Opinions? I'm open to them.
If you want, I can make later something for Plantera and other bosses.

Cheers. :p

I just used the dart rifle (Under rated weapon btw)with Titanium armor for all bosses in expert. If I was playing normal I would go molten armor but I didn't expect expert to be that hard. Dart Rifle + Cursed arrows is extremely effective against destroyer

I just used the dart rifle (Under rated weapon btw)with Titanium armor for all bosses in expert. If I was playing normal I would go molten armor but I didn't expect expert to be that hard. Dart Rifle + Cursed arrows is extremely effective against destroyer
Its been 3 years. Also the destroyer is immune to debuffs.

Its been 3 years. Also the destroyer is immune to debuffs.
I know he is but the Cursed darts split into like 3-4 other piercing damage making it good for the destroyer since it can do multiple damage at once. Give it a try it won't disappoint

The Daedalus Stormbow is extremely OP if combined with Holy Arrows*.

The Golden Shower+Meteor Staff does extreme amounts of damage to all of the 3 Mechanical bosses, especially the Destroyer.

*cliche tactic, everyone knows that already;)

Back
Top Bottom