AFK Temple Autofarm (endless Plantera + Golem grinder)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
First the video:

This farm is part of a chain of farms I showcased here:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/autofarming-guide-the-ultimate-chain-autofarm.3244/

All the showcased farms are also stand-alone, including the Temple Farm. This farm can be used to grind regular mobs, and as soon as a Power Cell is dropped the farm can be used to fight the Golem while the grinding of temple mobs continue! The farm can also be used to grind Plantera as soon as a bulb spawns in the jungle grass areas by the tracks. The bulbs spawn fairly regularly so long as there are untouched bulbs elsewhere in your world and provided there are no jungle areas outside of the farm where the bulb could spawn instead (bulbs spawn 150-300 blocks apart). The easiest way to prevent nearby bulb spawns is to clentaminate with blue solution to change the nearby jungle to a mushroom biome (this way it can be changed back to jungle with green solution any time).

Here's what the farm looks like:

Gzqf0a6.jpg

pE34YA3.jpg

The farm can spawn all 5 key molds, souls of light and night, and power cells to farm the Golem.

Some additional notes about this farm:

The farm needs to be built in the Lihzahrd Temple, since the temple spawns only occur in the presence of natural background temple walls. Player-placed walls don't work. Also, the spawns require a lihzahrd brick surface. The spawn rates would be higher if the space above the spawn surface was open, but I decided to make the farm more compact.

As you can see in the video, I speed up movement when fighting the Golem and Plantera but then go away from keyboard for the duration of the fight. The player needs to be moving faster to avoid getting hit too often by both bosses.

Last edited:
Cool that your standard dart trap grinder is so well suited to Golem and Planterra fighting. Shame you have to stop and click to spawn these bosses. I presume you designed this build for them, from the start? Do you need to clear the existing foliage for Planterra bulbs to appear, or do they spawn regardless? You think they are created in the spawn zone around a player, like mobs, or evenly across the map, like trees.

It's a compromise, of course, since the reduced chamber height will reduce the spawn rate of temple critters. Or have you done tests that indicate otherwise? Also, it might be worth explicitly stating that the background walls must be natural for the mob spawns. So you'd have to hollow out an existing temple to make it look like this.

Cool that your standard dart trap grinder is so well suited to Golem and Planterra fighting. Shame you have to stop and click to spawn these bosses. I presume you designed this build for them, from the start?

A shame indeed, especially since you cannot even hold down the mouse button to automatically activate the altar - it needs to be clicked to summon the Golem. I actually started with the temple mob grinder but realized it could be modified slightly to allow for the spawning of bulbs.

Do you need to clear the existing foliage for Planterra bulbs to appear, or do they spawn regardless? You think they are created in the spawn zone around a player, like mobs, or evenly across the map, like trees.

The foliage doesn't interfere - bulbs can spawn across the map without the player clearing foliage. I managed to observe a bulb spawning during regular grinding a couple of times, but I've experimented with artificial jungles that spawned bulbs before and it seems their spawning has nothing to do with player proximity (so they spawn similar to trees).

It's a compromise, of course, since the reduced chamber height will reduce the spawn rate of temple critters. Or have you done tests that indicate otherwise?

I started with a much larger open area, but decided to make it more compact in the end partially because I needed the Plantera track in the upper region of the farm (and wanted the farm to be the same height throughout) and partially to trap the flying snakes so that the souls would be dropped within collection distance.

Regarding Plantera bulb spawning:

3AgExVz.jpg

I constructed this little set-up multiple times in a random place in the cavern layer and waited to see how long it would take for a bulb to spawn. It has taken 30min to 1hr for it to spawn. Pretty quick for such a short stretch of jungle grass. This is in a world where no more bulb spawning can take place because the maximum have spawned. Also, Plantera bulbs do *not* need unoccupied jungle grass to spawn - they can displace any jungle vegetation so don't waste any time clearing vegetation if you plan on spawning bulbs in certain locations.

Back
Top Bottom