Other Art Aiflynn's Sprites and Vanity Sets

What could I improve on with my sprites? If your answer is other, please post it the thread.

• Shading

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Color

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Texture

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Size

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
Hey, I come bearing some advice for you in terms of spriting. It's been passed down through spriters for generations, it seems.

Every material is shaded differently. For example, if you look at the Work Bench's sprite, you'll see it's a wide variety of layers of wood.
Work_Bench.png

For concrete, it's similar. (Sprite by me)
Concrete_Workbench.png

For a polished gemstone, it'll be different, and so on. (Sprite mostly by @Pinelord with some color work by me)
Star_Sapphire.png

Metal or crystal, for instance, will be shinier. Clay or wood will be much more muted.
Shiny_Stone.png

Some things come in certain shapes - for example, a flail is most likely to be a sphere, while crystals might be a cone or whatever shape it is I put up there. It's pretty easy to Google those - I believe multiple universities have images of how to shade them.

See, to make your sprites look like the real thing, they need to be textured appropriately. Shading (for example: swords usually aren't indented, hence the light is usually on the inside) and colors (bright colors are very rarely found in anything natural) are important. Texture is infinitely more so... according to me.

Here's to hoping your sprites continue to improve! They're looking surprisingly good already. I remember my first sprite - I think it was a rocket launcher. It looked like one of those purple-and-black missing texture skins.

Thanks!

I understand shading, but I am not advanced enough in spiriting to make most of my things materials and shade them well.

Once again, thanks for the advice!

Yo, Aiflynn, I had an idea. D'you think you could try to make a flail that doesn't look 2D like the existing ones - more like a sphere, with the spikes evenly spaced?

Its fine if you cant finish the Division Agent. i understand its probably pretty hard to do since theres not much "modern" or real life vanity looking things that resemble the game. You dont have to do it if you dont want to :)

Well for one, the main problem is that you can't really tell what it looks like.

And two, I still need to get all the stuff, cause my terraria deleted my world with all the stuff in it.
[doublepost=1462238717,1462238702][/doublepost]But I have something that is sort of like it.

Well for one, the main problem is that you can't really tell what it looks like.

And two, I still need to get all the stuff, cause my terraria deleted my world with all the stuff in it.
[doublepost=1462238717,1462238702][/doublepost]But I have something that is sort of like it.
Well...you could just download an all items world...but if you dont want to its ok :p

Back
Top Bottom