Portfolio/Multi-Topic Alchemist Class

DJFlare84

Mechanic
An idea inspired a little by Minecraft's Splash Potions, but mostly by Plague Knight. <3

~WHAT IS AN ALCHEMIST?~
In my terms and for the purposes of this thread, an Alchemist is a new player-class I'm suggesting that involves the usage of potions, especially a new kind of potion meant to be thrown (like how Holy Water is currently used). To sum it up, this idea not only includes ideas for Alchemist gear, but also for a variety of new potions which are thrown and which explode like bombs and generate an effect over a wide area.

~ALCHEMIST GEAR~
Alchemist gear bonuses should focus primarily on increasing the throw range and projectile speed of potions, with better armors ALSO adding a % chance to not consume potions on use and a reduction in the duration of Potion Sickness.

... there should maybe be a set that is a reference to Plague Knight. :V

~TACTICAL POTIONS~
Unlike previous potions, Tactical potions will be throwables, preferably flying in a similar arc as the Flower of Fire. Aside from having different effects, Tactical Potions will also have a weight value that determines how far and how slowly they fly when thrown, which facilitates the need for better gear to throw heavier potions.

TP's will be designed to be stopped only by solid blocks, melee weapons (but not their projectiles) and all living entities (including friendly players and the alchemist themselves). TP's will ignore and pass through anything else.

Not only will there be offensive TP's that damage the enemy, but there will also be Buff TP's that can be thrown at comrades to grant a friend or even several friends at once specific buffs. Some TP's that emulate the effect of currently existing potions will simply use that existing potion as an ingredient for crafting the TP. Using TP's that recover HP will cause the potion sickness effect for yourself (but not the allies you healed).

The primary ingredient in all tactical potions will be the "Bursting Flask", which is made by combining a Glass Bottle with Gunpowder, which would be a new material one would buy from the Demolitionist (which, outside of alchemy, could be used to craft one's own bombs and grenades). The bursting flask itself is counted as a TP and will explode on impact like a grenade, dealing damage over a wide area (although the bursting flask will not harm tiles or friendlies).

Explosive Powder can be used to create the "Blasting Flask" instead, which is more powerful and can destroy tiles. TP's made from a Blasting Flask will retain this property. Very few potions can be created out of a Blasting Flask since it is inherently dangerous and thus can't be used to buff or heal allies.

~A LIST OF TACTIAL POTION IDEAS/EXAMPLES~
NOTE: Unless made with BLASTING Flasks, offensive bombs do not harm/affect other players (except for PvP).
Bursting Fire Bomb - Explodes with fire and leaves lingering flames in a circular area for a limited time for further DOT.
Bursting Bubble Bomb - Traps all mobs in the AOE in bubbles that float a bit off the ground for a limited time. Bubbled mobs are unable to move or attack. Bubble flask causes no damage.
Bursting Spirit Bomb - Advanced potion. Unleashes seven homing souls that act like the Specter Staff's projectiles. Requires Ectoplasm.
Bursting Thunder Bomb - Small damage in a wide AOE that also causes confusion.
Bursting Glow Bomb - Shining Potion + Bursting Flask. Grants shining effect to all mobs and players in the blast zone.

~ALCHEMIST ACCESSORIES~
Glass Coin - Gives a chance that nearby enemies will drop Glass upon defeat. Sort-of a reference to Shovel Knight's Alchemy Coin.
Electric Moss - Increases the AOE of TP's by a percentage. A reference to Creepers, especially the charged variety.
Crimson Powder - Increases the duration of potion effects. A reference to Redstone Dust.
Glistening Powder - Increases the power of potion effects. A reference to Glowstone Dust.
Potion Launcher - Potions now fly straight and fast like bullets, no longer in an arc like a bomb.

The individual accessories can be combined in every possible combination. For instance, a Glass Launcher, or Orange Powder (Crimson+Glistening).

~ADVANCED ACCESSORIES~
Golden Launcher - All of the above accessories combined.
Token of Alchemy - All the above accessories combined sans the Potion Launcher.
Go Lab - An accessory that looks like a briefcase. When worn, allows ALL potion crafting without a crafting station (including melee flasks). The accessory can also be placed on the ground to create a chemistry table with the same function, if you want the potion crafting and need a slot free.
Alchemy Turret - Go Lab + Potion Launcher. Can equip to obtain both bonuses, but can also place on the ground to create a Go-Lab that also acts as a mount-able turret. While mounted to the Alchemy Turret you cannot move, but can rapid fire potions in a straight line and make use of the Go Lab functions. Right click to hop on and off.

~CHEMISTRY SET~
Furniture item like the Crystal Ball or Ammo Box that gives bonus potion conservation for a limited time when accessed.

Last edited:
Just had an idea for an additional Alchemist accessory. Behold, the Go Lab.

Go Lab - An accessory that looks like a briefcase. When worn, allows ALL potion crafting without a crafting station (including melee flasks). The accessory can also be placed on the ground to create a chemistry table with the same function, if you want the potion crafting and need a slot free.

Hey this is really cool. I just posted a thread on splash potions, but then this thread was brought to my attention. I noticed the 2 threads were very similar but unique in ways as well. If you want to see it, here is a link to my splash potion thread. Maybe we can combine ideas?

Hey this is really cool. I just posted a thread on splash potions, but then this thread was brought to my attention. I noticed the 2 threads were very similar but unique in ways as well. If you want to see it, here is a link to my splash potion thread. Maybe we can combine ideas?
I'm... kinda comfortable with my Tactical Potions as they are at the moment. No offense...

I'm... kinda comfortable with my Tactical Potions as they are at the moment. No offense...
The only reason i suggested that was because baconfry said our ideas were basically the same. If you think there are enough differences to be considered 2 different suggestions, im happy with that.

This is actually a really good idea! if you dont mind i would like to add some of my own ideas
perhaps a disease mechanic could be integrated into the game

Good idea, it seems less like its own thing and more like a throwing addition. So maybe in that context some trowing weapon imbues could be placed in this thread?

Good idea, it seems less like its own thing and more like a throwing addition.
It is not. The Alchemist Class limits your weapon choice to Tac Potions. It offers no benefit to other throwing-class weapons like ninja stars and spears.

So maybe in that context some trowing weapon imbues could be placed in this thread?
I would rather they not. lol

Back
Top Bottom