TCF Suggestion Alert fix

Should this be fixed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThunderBear06

Skeletron
Ok so I've been here for a little and I noticed that when I get an alert for a thread and I don't check it out then it stops sending me alerts from that thread even though there's still stuff going on. For example, if I get a alert for the last post wins thread and I don't click on the alert it stops alerting me of that thread even though theres still activity on that thread. This needs to be fixed

While I'm not familiar with XenForo, to me the alternative would seem to be getting an alert for every single new post. That sounds like it would massively clutter up your alert box.

The idea of watching threads is that you are notified whenever there is new activity in a thread. If you are not going to read the messages in that thread, there doesn't seem to be much point in watching it in the first place.

Alerts are issued for the first unread post in a thread. If you don't read that post and all other unread posts in that thread, then you stop getting alerts for it.

A common cause of alerts not appearing is to read the first unread post(s), and you not noticing that there are more on a subsequent page of the thread. You have to 'read' all the posts to clear the alert flag before you get another alert.

Ok so I've been here for a little and I noticed that when I get an alert for a thread and I don't check it out then it stops sending me alerts from that thread even though there's still stuff going on. For example, if I get a alert for the last post wins thread and I don't click on the alert it stops alerting me of that thread even though theres still activity on that thread. This needs to be fixed
It’s not broken. The alert even says “There may be more posts after this.” So it’s letting you know that there may be more posts after the post that gave you an alert. It’s not supposed to send you an alert for every post.

If we got an alert for every single post whether we looked at the thread in question or not members would be inundated with alerts, especially for a thread that receives the hundreds of posts a day like Last Post Wins does.

The only hiccup to the system is that when you get an alert and look at the thread, you won’t get another alert unless you have read the last post most recently made in that thread. In which case, looking at your “Watched Threads” link (at the top) is helpful to see if there are any new posts in threads you watch.

Back
Top Bottom