Items Altar of Vibrancy - Stopping (and starting) Biome Spread

Pastiche

Terrarian
After hopping down into my underground snow biome looking for some kelp and cleansing the corruption off it for the millionth time, I started wondering...
I've beaten every boss in the game, why do I still have to put up with this?

I propose two items: The Altar of Solar Vibrancy and The Alter of Lunar Vibrancy.
These would be placed items with a very special function, to alter the spread of biomes in the world. They'd be crafted with 50 Luminite Bars to assure that Moon Lord's been defeated.

Feeding these structures certain biome-specific items would change the color of the aura surrounding the object, respective to the biome currently powered by the device. This biome would then spread as the Corruption/Crimson and Hallow do now, effective across the entire world.
When first placed in a world, the Altar of Solar Vibrancy would be initially be attuned to the Hallow, and the Altar of Lunar Vibrancy would likewise be attuned to the "Darkness" which empowers both Corruption and Crimson. After this, Altars could be attuned at will, or deactivated by attuning it with a Harmony Stone, created by combining all the biome materials together into one item. The items would be created similarly to Music Boxes, converting an "Empty Crystal Vessel" (Sold by the dryad post-Moon Lord or added to Moon Lord's drops) into one of several items by equipping it and killing about a thousand enemies in that respective biome.

The items and possible crafting recipes would be as follows:
Empty Crystal Vessel: Sold by the Dryad post-Moonlord/Dropped by Moon Lord. An empty vessel that hungers for blood.
Grassy Crystal: Kill 1000 enemies while in a Purity biome (Forest, Underground, Caverns) Evokes images of a warm spring day.
Vile Crystal: Kill 1000 enemies while in a Corrupt biome (Surface Corruption, Underground Corruption, Corrupt Tundra, Corrupt Desert) Evokes fear and despair. 'You should really wash your hands after touching this.'
Blood Crystal: Kill 1000 enemies while in a Crimson biome (Surface Crimson, Underground Crimson, Crimson Tundra, Crimson Desert) Evokes a need to see blood flow like rivers.
Black Heart: Crafted with 1 Corrupt Crystal + 1 Blood Crystal, attunes the altar to "Darkness." Evokes a hatred for all things.
Enchanted Bauble: Kill 1000 enemies while in a Hallow biome (Surface Hallow, Underground Hallow, Hallow Tundra, Hallow Desert) Evokes magic in whatever it touches. 'It's full of unicorns.'
Eternal Ice: Kill 1000 enemies while in a Tundra biome (Surface Tundra, Underground Tundra) Evokes the chill of a fierce blizzard. 'Let it snow.'
Desert Gem: Kill 1000 enemies while in a Desert biome (Desert, Underground Desert) Evokes an unquenchable thirst. 'Does the sun seem closer than it was yesterday?'
Lost Idol: Kill 1000 enemies while in a Jungle biome (Surface Jungle, Underground Jungle) Evokes the awe of a canopy of treetops that blot out the sun.
Mushroom Fruit: Kill 1000 enemies while in a Mushroom biome (Surface Mushroom, Underground Mushroom) Evokes thoughts of a strange, glowing world. 'You feel the urge to sporulate.'
Sea Diamond: Kill 1000 enemies while in an Ocean biome. Evokes a sense of fluidity in all things.
Infernal Crystal: Kill 1000 enemies while in the Underworld. Evokes a certainty of everlasting torment. 'Hotter to the touch'
Otherworldy Crystal: Kill 10,000 enemies while in a Meteorite biome. (Zzzzz afk) Evokes memories of tumbling endlessly through the void of space.
Harmony Stone: Crafted with with 1 Purity Crystal, 1 Corrupt Crystal/Blood Crystal, 1 Hallowed Crystal, 1 Eternal Ice, 1 Desert Gem, 1 Jungle Crystal, 1 Glowing Crystal, 1 Sea Diamond, and 1 Infernal Crystal.); disables an altar and empowers no biomes. Only empowered biomes spread. Evokes a feeling of peace.

The framework for spreading would break each biome into the three primary materials of a dirt, a stone, and a sand. For special materials outside of these parameters (I'm looking at you, Hardened Pearlsand, and all your ilk) the items would be either be replaced by their Purity equivalents, or unaffected.
Each biome's materials would be as follows:
Purity: Dirt block, stone block, and sand block. Pretty straightforward.
Corruption, Crimson, and Hallow would remain as is.
Tundra: Snow block acts as dirt, Ice block acts as stone, slush acts as sand.
Desert: Sand block acts as dirt above surface level, hardened sand block acts as dirt below surface level, sandstone block acts as stone, sand block acts as sand.
Jungle: Mud block acts as dirt, stone block acts as stone, sand block acts as sand.
Mushroom: Mud block acts as dirt, stone block acts as stone, sand block acts as sand.
Underworld: Ash block acts as dirt, hellstone ore acts as stone, silt block acts as sand.
Meteorite: Sparkling dirt (New block) acts as dirt, meteorite ore acts as stone, meteor glass (new block) acts as sand.
By this method, the stone dirt or sand of an empowered biome would replace the stone dirt or sand of a non-empowered biome, and simply not spread if encountering the stone dirt or sand of another empowered biome. The Ocean biome would be a unique case, where dirt that is adjacent to water blocks would be converted to sand blocks on the surface and coral blocks under the surface, but water blocks would slowly spread, whether by converting adjacent air into water or by adding water blocks to one another in the same way placing a bucket of water underwater adds it.
Additionally, the rate of spread could be augmented by feeding more of the same crystal into the machine. One crystal would allow spread up to one tile away (similar to spreading prior to hardmode), two crystals would give that biome an advanced spread (similar to spreading after hardmode but prior to plantera), and three crystals would give that biome a very fast spread, allowing a biome to spread up to 5 blocks away. For crazy people.

The function of this idea is to create new and interesting challenges for the game after endgame, and provide a final reward for supposedly finishing the game. And a way to finally stop the biome spread and let you exist in your world as more than a glorified janitor. Hopefully this mechanic would give some actual function to biome spread in the endgame, even if that function is purely entertainment value.

To clarify: This would change absolutely nothing in the game unless you specifically built one of these structures and farmed a butt load of monsters to very intentionally change the mechanics of the world. It would be optional.

If this idea gets any steam I could sprite some of these items up as needed, but right now I just wanted to see how the community responds to the idea.

10,000 Meteorite heads? I don't like grinding, and I'm sure most others think the same. I think the game should steer away from grinding enemies for a small item, if this were to be added. It's a good idea, but a lot of work to get each item.

Back
Top Bottom