Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could use some changes

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

PutTheShroom

Terrarian
Summoner is having most likely the hardest begining, where they must find Slime Statue and then wait for Slime Staff (Most likely hours if you have no luck). This pretty much scares away new players from
That's why I wanted to think about a new possible start for summoner, that would be, not a staff spawning minion, but armor that would reward for being summoner without Slime staff.
Meet a new armor for summoner, the Forest King Armor
"How can an armor be of any help for summoner that doesnt have summon?" Just wait for set bonus.
Head - Crown of Forest
Armor - 1
Crafting - Gold/Platinum Crown + 50 Normal biome wood Near Living loom

Breastplate - Forest Robe
Armor - 2
Crafting - 10 gold/platinum bars + 100 Normal biome wood Near Living loom

Leggings - Boots of Forest
Armor - 1
Crafting - 7 gold/platinum bars + 75 Normal biome wood Near Living loom

Total stats:
Armor - 4
Sprite from @World's biggest...
index.php

And the set bonus: Grants player Slime Canon buff, if no weapon have been used in 10 sec (grants "Scared Helper" debuff that cancells the Slime Canon buff) AND there is no slimes from slime staff spawned (buff of slime staff would cancel the set bonus)
The buff spawns near player (similar to stardust guardian from stardust armor) a winged, small canon, that shoots a slime (like from slime staff), which later fight's with us for some time like normal summon.
The cannon shoots every 10 sec, our slime friend deals 10 damage and travels the sky with small velocity of 5. (to change)
After 2.5 sec or upon hitting block (not platform) slime begins to fight with us like normal slime minion (doesn't take minion slot), for 5 sec.
In result we have a canon that shoots a slime, that for 2.5 sec is a bullet, for 5 sec a minion, that for 2.5 sec leaves us with no damage other then traps due to canceling buff on weapon use.
Hope u enjoyed that Wall of Text, and because I'm bad spriter (or just too lazy) you can send some. Please.

Last edited:
Though this is a good idea, this makes weapon class-specific armors available WAY too early in the game.

Also, slime staff isn’t that rare. Slimes in my opinion are the most common enemy in Terraria.

Maybe lower the damage a bit, as 15 is a bit too high, especially after the 10% increase. And what exactly happens when there are slime staff minions spawned? Sorry but it isn't that clear...

... Anyway I made a sprite for the armour, youre welcome to use it. It's just wood armour made more robe-like with vines all over it, and a bit more fancy. Also a gold crown with vines.
Forest King Armour.png

@Electroman102 I need to agree that this would be avaible early in game, so I might as well remove aditional damage and leave it with just defence. This armour is only about getting some damage from set bonus in case you couldnt find slime statue.
Also yeah the slimes sure are most common enemy... but still if you want slime staff while trying true summoner challenge, then u need slime statue. When I was going summoner, I sometimes couldn't find this statue, and when I found it I was waiting some hours for it to drop. Drop from normal slimes is 1/10000 or 1/7000 in expert. Slimes are common, but slime staff is rare. Also
@World's biggest... Well... sorry for that it was night for me already and I couldn't get any idea on how to make it more clear, will try to edit it now.
Also huge thanks for sprite.

On the slime staff being rare: I have played through Terraria a few times since it got added, and I still haven’t seen it, so I would say it’s pretty rare.

On the set: Seems near enough.

Since it is a 1/10000 drop, getting it can happen pretty early with luck.

Pinky is a rare mob, so that doesn’t make a huge difference. I don’t tend to see them more than like 5-7 times a game, and by that time, I am into the point where the slime staff is irrelevant anyway.

1/180 chance of replacing a normal slime spawn, so they are pretty rare. Also, the rare mob detector displays them, so they are a rare mob by game terms.
But this is rather off topic, and really doesn’t need to be argued about.

Are we really trying to discuss whether the Slime Staff is rare or not? It’s rare. It’s among the rarest items in the game. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

More on topic: I find the concept behind Forest King Armor to be very strange. Existing summoner armors certainly enable a summoner-exclusive playstyle, but none of them enforce it. Frankly, I dislike the idea of an arnor set that directly punishes you for using weapons. All summoners are expected to use a primary weapon unless they are specifically challenging themselves not to. This makes Forest King Armor’s set bonus feel very unnatural.

I like the idea of summoning temporary minions (kind of like an earlygame version of the Queen Spider Staff), but I see no compelling reason to forbid players from using anything else.

That’s reasonable. Thinking about it, none of the sets I can think of actively punish the player for using other gear, you just don’t get the benefits. A temporary summon item (maybe one that could be crafted instead of found) might work better.

With the addition of a free sentry summoner after beating the EoW and finding the tavernkeep, it's even simpler to get summoner-class weapons (unless of course, you are doing a no-weapon run) Even so, I understand that the slime staff is very difficult to obtain, especially without a statue, and with no weapons. However, this doesn't seem like the right solution. I think that instead of making armour that takes a ton of resources that makes it obsolete compared to the aforementioned sentries from the tavernkeep, there should be a new summoner that can be created through renewable means, such as jungle crates/chests, encouraging magic users to pursue the jungle for armour and summoner weapons.

Back
Top Bottom