Alternates are a bad idea.

Hie the Badger

The Destroyer
:confused:

Forgive me. It is 9 am and I haven't slept and I am writing this with background noise ala pewdiepie.

I really think the crimson was a bad idea. This could be because if some profound ignorance on my part due to lost information I cant be arsed to go find through 500 pages of some update thread but I never liked the crimson.But bear with me. I never really thought about this until 1.3 came around and I started a new game. It came to the point where I make my platinum staff to go do a bunch of magic :red: with and I needed platinum bars. Unfortunately the world I made only had gold bars and trust me I tried, you cant make a platinum staff with gold bars even though they are :confused:alternates:confused:.

So I had to make a new :red:ing world to get my platinum bars. Already I have crossed quite a few people's nono zones with making a new world but if I wanted to make this staff I had to do this. It got me to thinking just how absolutely unnecessary the crimson is. My theory is that the crimson is there to pad out the gameplay a little. Give a little replay value to people constantly kneading for new content (I think we got far more content than we actually need/deserve). It sure as hell did. It took about 4 attempts to create a world with platinum in it instead of gold bars or in one case, neither of the :confused:alternates:confused:. Between making the worlds and hunting the ore down it took at least 30 minutes (is gold/platinum blocked from the surface?).

Now that story can just as well be ignored. The question I will asking you is Why? Why did we need the crimson? I know I sure as hell didn't ask for it.

What's my point in all this? The crimson isn't going to go anywhere now but I want to try and curb the future ideas of :confused:alternates:confused: outside of personal modding because the only thing it does is add more unnecessary stuffing to a game that can be great without said over stuffing. :confused:

Come on game designers get with it.

I am rewriting my OP for the sake of the thread. The original text will be spoilered above. 8/27/15

I had an issue in my expert mode playthrough where I wanted to make a diamond staff. A gold staff would not do due to the dps comparison but I did not have the platinum in my corruption world. I needed to create another world that actually has platinum in it unless I wanted to settle with a lesser magic weapon (not a good idea in expert mode). After making 4 new worlds I finally found a world that had platinum in it instead of gold.

What does this add to the game? It seems that it adds another layer of unnecessary tedium to an otherwise tedious process.

The problem goes beyond just platinum ore. When RNG decides what ores you get in your game, it also decides how effective your gear is. The "new" ore set which I will call the "platinum set", and the original ore set which I will call the "gold set". The platinum ore set is more effective than the original gold set. If they are supposed to be alternates of each other why is there a greater and lesser ore set? Why have that?

Last edited:
Wait, wat?
You don't like Crimson worlds because they didn't give you Platinum?

We need it because Terraria is an RPG, and as all RPGs you need much, much varieties of everything. Imagine WoW, LoL, DOTA or Skyrim without the options to wich way follow? Everybody will be forced to use the same weapons and armor.

In the game, you have the choice to use either Crimson if you want more loot and challenges or Corruption if you're a hipster if you like easy challenges with less loot.

Wait, wat?
More like Hie doesn't like alternates because.... well, they're not really alternates, per se. With the addition of crimson, all new ores are factually better than their old counterparts(plus with the exception of lead/iron, none of them can be used in the other's crafts). I think you should read the whole thing altogether, instead of replying to just one thing in the post specifically.

Last edited:
Wait, wat?

We need it because Terraria is an RPG, and as all RPGs you need much, much varieties of everything. Imagine WoW, LoL, DOTA or Skyrim without the options to wich way follow? Everybody will be forced to use the same weapons and armor.

In the game, you have the choice to use either Crimson if you want more loot and challenges or Corruption if you're a hipster if you like easy challenges with less loot.

3AnL5ZG.png

I told you what got me thinking about it and.

>RPG
No.
>choice
No.

You don't have a choice which one you get. It's up to rng which one you get. There isn't an option where you can choose. I looked through everything to find one at 1.3 because I expected an end to this problem

I think it does add replay value, and I don't see how that's not anything but good. The crimson is harder, and offers greater rewards (though not having a vilethorn sucks imo) and is a welcome change to having to use the same weapons in early game.

I think the post your trying to make is that you don't like that the 1.2 metals are better than their older counterparts, and I actually agree. the metals should be different, but not superior to each other. otherwise you feel let down when you get gold and not platinum, or adamantite and not titanium. Maybe a re-balancing where they all have the same stats but offer different bonuses is in order.

I hope this helps. Get some sleep :p

I agree in a sense. I would have preferred that Terraria would either have a definitive experience all in one world, or a tonne of variety with each one. At the moment, it's just those two different biomes that tease you a little because you're unable to get the worm scarf/vampire knives without creating another world.

Regarding the Crimson and 1.2 ores vs Demonite and original, I agree that they shouldn't be superior and rather be different. It hints bias towards the Crimson and getting a world with Adamantite when you break that 3rd altar feels like a slap in the face, because Titanium is brilliant armour. Same case for Palladium vs Cobalt.

I'd prefer to be able to access Crimson materials freely (such as Red solution) on a Corruption world so I can spread it if I choose to.

I kid you not, all of my 1.3 playthroughs were with the corruption, so I currently can't just hop into another world and get red solution.

I guess you just have to take what your given on world-gen. I'm not sure if an option to select crimson or corruption when creating a new world would be a good idea though.

Minus two damage or something :| for those 30 mins that he spent, he could have made meteor armor already and spam everything with space gun.
It's the principle. He doesn't like the idea that you can have better weapons based purely on RNG

Or something. Go compare them on the wiki. In fact everyone here should read a page of the wiki tonight.

I didn't think it would take 30 minutes to do (keep in mind this is on expert mode) but the diamond staff is better than the ruby staff in a few ways.
Extractinator and Crates is a key to get alternate ore.

On expert mode getting some metal bars is a better investment than trying to find an extractinator and crate potion mats.

I didn't think it would take 30 minutes to do (keep in mind this is on expert mode) but the diamond staff is better than the ruby staff in a few ways.
... and it's still 5% difference that you won't notice. Remember the time when you didn't have those "alternatives"? And you were perfectly fine without them.

Back
Top Bottom