Weapons & Equip Alternative Luminite Armor Sets

LulItsIan

Terrarian
The beauty about having an official final boss means that it would be an opportune occasion to implement new types of armor, since they would only have to be balanced for the final tier of content, and it would give end-game players more options for after they beat the Moon Lord. I propose adding new helmets to each of the Luminite armor sets, allowing for different mechanics (Much like the spectre hood versus the spectre mask, one offering a more damage oriented build, and the other offering a support one--but holding true to the same general theme and saving materials). Additionally, I propose adding a new set of armor altogether to the same tier, called "Cosmic" armor. More on that later.

The following suggestions are the full list of bonuses the armor would grant if said alternative helmets were equipped, with the helmets providing positive or negative stats as needed to reach them.

Solar Flare (Melee)

Balanced Warrior - Solar Flare Helmet (existing set)
  • 78 Defense (24 Helmet)
  • +22% melee damage
  • +17% melee critical hit chance
  • +15% movement and melee speed
  • Enemies are more likely to target you (x3)
  • Set Bonus: Solar shields generate over time protecting you, consume the shield power to dash, damaging enemies (30% Damage Reduction)
  • Set Effect: After-image during motion.

Defensive Warrior - Solar Flare Faceguard
  • 82 Defense (28 Helmet)
  • +7% melee damage (Helmet reduces melee damage)
  • +10% melee critical hit chance
  • +10% movement and melee speed
  • Enemies are more likely to target you (x3)
  • Set Bonus: Damage taken is reduced by a flat 40%.
  • Set Bonus: Knockback is nullified.
  • Set Bonus: Taking damage causes the player to radiate solar energy, increasing the size of their weapons by 50%, increasing their damage by 10%, and granting them 4% life steal for 2 seconds.
This set gives the player a defense-oriented play style that allows them to protect their allies more effectively at the cost of damage--effectively a solar turtle armor.

Stealth Warrior - Solar Flare Shroud
  • 62 Defense (8 Helmet)
  • +36% melee damage
  • +30% melee critical hit chance
  • +25% movement and melee speed
  • Enemies are less likely to target you (Counteracts the effect from the breastplate and leggings)
  • Set Bonus: Pressing down puts you in stealth mode, granting invisibility, reduced player targeting, and lowered movement speed. Unlike other stealth effects, this does not grant bonus damage immediately. However, when successfully attacking from stealth mode, you get a buff granting 25% attack speed, 50% melee critical hit chance, and 30% bonus damage for 6 seconds. The stealth process takes 3 seconds, and can be canceled by taking damage.
Inspired by the Psycho Knife, this allows for much higher melee damage capabilities in a very assassin-esque playstyle. However, the reduced defense and stealth vulnerability serves as an obstacle. It encourages hit and run techniques against bosses, requiring them to dodge attacks for 3 seconds to reap the full damage bonus.

Vortex (Range)

Stealth Ranger - Vortex Helmet (Current)
  • 62 Armor (14 Helmet)
  • +36% ranged damage
  • +27% ranged critical strike chance
  • +25% chance to not consume ammunition
  • +10% movement speed
  • Set Bonus: Double tap DOWN to toggle stealth, increasing ranged ability and reducing chance for enemy to target you but slowing movement
  • Effect: Emits light that intensifies with each additional piece equipped.
Stealth Bonuses
  • Decreased chance that enemies will target the wearer
  • +80% ranged damage
  • +20% ranged critical strike chance
  • Decreased movement speed
  • Near-invisibility

Defensive Ranger - Vortex Faceguard
  • 68 Armor (20 Helmet)
  • +15% ranged damage
  • +10% ranged critical strike change
  • +15% movement speed
  • +15% dodge chance
  • Enemies are more likely to target you.
  • Set Bonus: Attacking enemies afflicts them with "Vortex Fatigue," reducing their movement speed by 20%. Grants the ranger a bonus 1% horizontal AND vertical movement speed for 5 seconds, stacking up to 15 times. (Presumably, this wouldn't work against bosses, so the self-buff counters that.)
This set turns the ranger into a tank that is based off of kiting enemies and dodging attacks. Their set bonus allows them to give themselves a large speed advantage against enemies, making dodging a lot easier in exchange for having lower damage.

Marksman Ranger - Vortex Mask
  • 62 Armor (14 Helmet)
  • +45% Ranged Damage
  • +35% ranged critical strike chance
  • +10% movement speed
  • Set Bonus: 8% armor penetration
  • Set Bonus: Ranged attacks inflict "Vortex Flames" on an enemy, reducing their defense by 10, lighting them up, and dealing 15 damage per second. Lasts for 8 seconds.
This set supports a conventional ranged play style that doesn't rely on stealth or sniping. Provides a consistent boost to damage.

Nebula (Magic)

Balanced Mage - Nebula Helmet
  • 46 Defense (14 Helmet)
  • +26% magic damage
  • +16% magic critical strike chance
  • +10% movement speed
  • Increases maximum mana by 60 and reduces mana usage by 15%
  • Set Bonus: Hurting enemies has a chance to spawn buff boosters, pick boosters up to get stacking buffs. (45% Damage, 12 HPS, 3x mana regeneration boost)
Damage Mage - Nebula Mask
  • 52 Defense (20 Helmet)
  • +35% magic damage
  • +25% magic critical strike chance
  • +10% movement speed
  • Increases maximum mana by 100 and reduces mana usage by 20%
  • Set Bonus: A nebula rune floats above the player. Double tap DOWN to consume the rune and receive "Nebula Empowerment," massively increasing mana regeneration and increasing magic damage by 75% for 12 seconds. The rune will respawn after 30 seconds.
This set provides a conventional mage play style that doesn't offer any group buffs, but deals more damage.

Support Mage - Nebula Hood
  • 34 Defense (2 Helmet)
  • +9% magic critical strike chance
  • +10% movement speed
  • Increases maximum mana by 100 and reduces mana usage by 30%
  • Set Bonus: Generates a barrier, increasing defense by 30. Double tapping down shatters the barrier, giving you and nearby party members a bonus 50% damage and 10% critical strike chance for 10 seconds. Heals affected players for 100 health. (Modified by magic damage boosters.) Players cannot be healed by the same effect for 15 seconds. The barrier refreshes after 30 seconds.
  • Set Bonus: Passively increases the movement speed of nearby party members by 10%, and their health regeneration by 5 health per second.
This set provides an interesting playstyle that allows the player to massively bolster them and their friends power at will. However, it has to be used with good timing to have the most effect. Activating their ability leaves them very vulnerable.

Stardust (Summoning)

Balanced Summoner - Stardust Helmet (Existing)
  • 38 defense (10 Helmet)
  • +66% minion damage
  • +5 max number of minions
  • Set Bonus: Summons a Stardust Guardian which follows the player around. Double tap DOWN to direct your guardian to a location.

Independent Summoner - Stardust Mask

• 46 defense (18 Helmet)
  • +25% critical strike chance
  • +40% minion damage
  • +3 max number of minions
  • Set Bonus: Chance on hit to summon a Twinkle, homing onto nearby enemies and exploding for 100 summon damage.
This set encourages more direct combat rather than relying entirely on the summons.

Active Summoner - Stardust Hood

• 42 defense (14 Helmet)
  • +76% minion damage
  • +4 max number of minions
  • Set Bonus: Double tapping down causes all minions to converge on the selected spot.
  • Set Bonus: Temporary summons last half as long, but deal an additional 25% damage.
This set encourages having a few, powerful minions and actively directing them around to do damage. Also provides much more power to temporary summons, like the frost hydra.

Cosmic Armor (Universal)

Cosmic armor is crafted with the same amount of luminite bars, and an equal amount of all four fragments. The general trend is a "classless" playstyle that doesn't rely on boosting certain types of damage. Might not offer the strongest DPS, but provides balance to the player.

Universal Fighter - Cosmic Helmet
  • 60 Armor (12 Helmet)
  • +20% all damage
  • +20% critical strike chance
  • -16% reduced mana cost
  • +1 max number of minions
  • +10% movement speed
  • Set Bonus: After 4 seconds of not taking damage, the player receives a bonus 10% damage, 4 Health per second, and 8 defense.
Builder - Cosmic Goggles
  • 80 Armor (32 Helmet)
  • +5% all damage
  • +5% critical strike chance
  • -16% reduced mana cost
  • +30% movement speed
  • Increased block placement speed
  • Increased tool range
  • Set Bonus: Double tapping down grants partial invisibility, leaving only the outline of the player. Reduces likelihood of being targeted by enemies. Does not decrease movement speed or increase damage.
Gatherer - Cosmic Hat
  • 80 Armor (32 Helmet)
  • +5% all damage
  • +5% critical strike chance
  • -16% reduced mana cost
  • +30% movement speed
  • Fishing power increased by 20%
  • Increased tool range
  • Tool speed increased by 25%
  • Set Bonus: Grants a permanent spelunker and sonar potion effect while equipped.

Last edited:
Cant wait to read the whole thing when it's done. Posting to watch the thread cause I'm lazy.

I'm not quite sure which parts I do and do not like, but I would have to say that overall I definitely think this is cool and, at the very least, it's variety. Who doesn't love variety?

I tweaked those to make them more interesting/effective.

Now now, it doesn't necessarily mean your DPS will be doubled, due to the massively decreased attack speed. :p

Right.
However, with the current limitations, I've been able to boost my Sniper Rifle up to 103% critical strike chance, and 666 damage (LOL) when stealthed in Vortex Armor. Instagibbing players without tank builds is massively fun.

Builder Armor + Architect Gizmo Pack would be the best thing since Hallowed Armor in 1.1
I've always wondered why they never took the opportunity to make armor for building. It'd be really useful, and it wouldn't really imbalance the game at all. It makes the most sense at the final tier, though.

Right.
However, with the current limitations, I've been able to boost my Sniper Rifle up to 103% critical strike chance, and 666 damage (LOL) when stealthed in Vortex Armor. Instagibbing players without tank builds is massively fun.
:confused: You can't crit in PvP still, though, right?

i was doing 1000 damage to a dude with a sniper rifle, sure I had my stuff at maximium damage output, but my base damage was only 550 something
That's so much! :eek: The sniper armor probably wouldn't even make much of a difference in PvP scenarios if sniper weapons already one-shot enemies haha.

That's actually a good idea, and it's well made! I wanted to do something similar to this, but you ninja'd me. I support, waiting for the Nebulas to get implemented. :D

Damn. I would love this so much. I suggest the final cosmic helmet to increase mibg speed significantly too. That would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom