Am I entitled to the PS4 version?

Hello.

I was wondering, I have already purchased the Vita Editon of Terraria. Do I get the PS4 version for free?

I don't have a PS4 right now, but I should be getting one soonish.

Console technical support is here; this is the section for guides.

To my knowledge, you must buy the game multiple times for different copies, i.e. one for each system.

Edit: I just read about the PS4/Vita bundle. You do not get the PS4 version for free; you would have to get the bundle (which is five extra dollars) if you wanted that.

Last edited:
Console technical support is here; this is the section for guides.

To my knowledge, you must buy the game multiple times for different copies, i.e. one for each system.

Edit: I just read about the PS4/Vita bundle. You do not get the PS4 version for free; you would have to get the bundle (which is give extra dollars) if you wanted that.
awwww, thats bull.. Even the greediest company of them all at LEAST gave a 5 dollar upgrade to the PS4 version of Minecraft (and Xbone) (Mojang)
I've already purchased the game for full price 3 times already (PSN, XBLA, and PC), welp looks like I'm not getting the PS4 version :/

I understand; I've had to purchase the mobile version three different times simply because I have different devices I wanted to play Terraria on. That's not even different versions...

I've already purchased the game for full price 3 times already (PSN, XBLA, and PC)
I'm not really seeing a point in buying a copy for yet another console if you already have it on those, pretty sure they have the same thought process.
All of the console versions are going to be exactly the same.

I'm not really seeing a point in buying a copy for yet another console if you already have it on those, pretty sure they have the same thought process.
All of the console versions are going to be exactly the same.
Yeah... I got the PC version first and then they announced the console version with new content (cough gimmick cough) so I had to have the XBLA version. Then I got it on PSN for my Vita (for on the go of course). They really shouldn't be charging again for the same game, for the same version on the PS4. Or at least have a 5 dollar upgrade like Mojang did with PS3 owners of Minecraft. I just think it's greedy what they're doing and I'm afraid they're gonna loose some of the fans this way D:

To answer your question simply and shortly; no.

I have purchased the game 3 different times, i know, im sad. I should be entitled to a free copy on a system of my choice, no? Thats not the way it works im afraid. It would be cool if it did, but there would be so many people trying to scam the system so why bother? 'I bought it on ps3, can i have my ps4 copy? can you transfer my ps3 version over to my ps4?' 80% of the people who would say that have yet to purchase a legitimate copy. Why fight for a cure when you can prevent it in the first place?

To answer your question simply and shortly; no.

I have purchased the game 3 different times, i know, im sad. I should be entitled to a free copy on a system of my choice, no? Thats not the way it works im afraid. It would be cool if it did, but there would be so many people trying to scam the system so why bother? 'I bought it on ps3, can i have my ps4 copy? can you transfer my ps3 version over to my ps4?' 80% of the people who would say that have yet to purchase a legitimate copy. Why fight for a cure when you can prevent it in the first place?
Yeah... I'm don't really care about Piracy and/or when a friend takes a copy of the game. Because those who pirate the game aren't stealing nor taking money FROM 505 Games themselves... I know Piracy is stealing, but it isn't actually taking money FROM the company itself. It really just punishes the people (myself included) who actually buy the game. And in the end, the company just hurts itself :(

Yeah... I'm don't really care about Piracy and/or when a friend takes a copy of the game. Because those who pirate the game aren't stealing nor taking money FROM 505 Games themselves... I know Piracy is stealing, but it isn't actually taking money FROM the company itself. It really just punishes the people (myself included) who actually buy the game. And in the end, the company just hurts itself :(
This isnt the place to talk about piracy so i shant get into a massive debate, but your a right and you are wrong. I agree with your end sentence, that we are the people that suffer and the company hurts itself to protect its products and to ensure its legitimate customers get what they want/expect/deserve.

I believe the next gen consoles provide some new features, such as a higher resolution and thus mini map capability. The PS4 even has a zoom feature to adjust the resolution through using the touch pad.

Sooooo... Basic features? The zoom function is already on the Vita, Mini Map is already on PC and so is higher resolution. This doesn't mean that I should have to pay 20 dollars for the same game again for basic features.

They are new to consoles. They're trying to port Terraria, not reinvent it :)
I don't think you understand. These "new" features are new to consoles, but they are already in other versions of the game.. So how can they sell it again for 20 bucks? It's really just turning into a cash grab at this point :(

I don't think you understand. These "new" features are new to consoles, but they are already in other versions of the game.. So how can they sell it again for 20 bucks? It's really just turning into a cash grab at this point :(

This is a tough subject, and I'd like to state up front I have 0 influence on price point.

Nevertheless here is my take on it: "Entitlement"? just because a game is not different from what you already purchased on "platform A" does not "entitle" you to get the game for free on every platform, or even one additional platform. You bought the game for Vita, so you got the game for Vita. Done deal. That entitles you just as much to the PS4 version of the game as to the PS3, Xbox360, Xbox One, iOS, PC and Mac versions of the game: it doesn't. Would I *personally* have considered allowing existing players to get it at a reduced rate...probably yes...but that is not my call to make.

Regardless of my personal feelings towards rewarding the playerbase for their business and loyalty, there is no entitlement. period. You are also not entitled to get free games or even free updates, the free updates are a service Re-Logic gives to their players to thank them and keep them interested in the game. There is no entitlement, ever. You paid money for a product, you received the product. That ends it. Buying The Avengers on DVD does not mean you get the Blu Ray for free...unless you bought the Blu Ray pack that has a DVD and a digital copy, but guess what...that one is more expensive.

As far as the PS4 version goes, it costs money to port a game to a new platform. Any. new. platform. It is not like we just took the PS3 game and put it on a PS4 and that magically works. 505 Games (the publisher) has invested (quite a lot of) money into developing the versions for the newer consoles, testing those, translating those, marketing those and pay all due fees for age ratings and platform holders. It is their perogative as a commercial business to charge people for purchasing it, since it actually is a *new* product.

So, long story short: entitled: no, would it have been nice: yes

/discuss :)

This is a tough subject, and I'd like to state up front I have 0 influence on price point.

Nevertheless here is my take on it: "Entitlement"? just because a game is not different from what you already purchased on "platform A" does not "entitle" you to get the game for free on every platform, or even one additional platform. You bought the game for Vita, so you got the game for Vita. Done deal. That entitles you just as much to the PS4 version of the game as to the PS3, Xbox360, Xbox One, iOS, PC and Mac versions of the game: it doesn't. Would I *personally* have considered allowing existing players to get it at a reduced rate...probably yes...but that is not my call to make.

Regardless of my personal feelings towards rewarding the playerbase for their business and loyalty, there is no entitlement. period. You are also not entitled to get free games or even free updates, the free updates are a service Re-Logic gives to their players to thank them and keep them interested in the game. There is no entitlement, ever. You paid money for a product, you received the product. That ends it. Buying The Avengers on DVD does not mean you get the Blu Ray for free...unless you bought the Blu Ray pack that has a DVD and a digital copy, but guess what...that one is more expensive.

As far as the PS4 version goes, it costs money to port a game to a new platform. Any. new. platform. It is not like we just took the PS3 game and put it on a PS4 and that magically works. 505 Games (the publisher) has invested (quite a lot of) money into developing the versions for the newer consoles, testing those, translating those, marketing those and pay all due fees for age ratings and platform holders. It is their perogative as a commercial business to charge people for purchasing it, since it actually is a *new* product.

So, long story short: entitled: no, would it have been nice: yes

/discuss :)
(I didn't think a dev would get involved with this conversation O////O) Yes, I understand that it takes money to port to a console. But when I say "entitled" I didn't mean it as in "I DID X SO GIVE ME Y!" I meant as in "would I get it? or no?". The reason I said "I don't think you understand. These "new" features are new to consoles, but they are already in other versions of the game.. So how can they sell it again for 20 bucks? It's really just turning into a cash grab at this point :(" is because these are NOT new features (You have to at least give me that one?...Please? :0) these features have been done before is what I'm saying. I'm not bashing 505 Games or Terraria in general, I just think that them passing these features as "new" is just a lie imo.

The only reason they're 'new' is because they have never been on the console versions before. Since 505 & Engine only deal with consoles it is fair to call them 'new' features. They didn't call them 'console exclusive' features :)

Nah Shim, I will give you that much...there really is nothing "new" in the next-gen versions, the fact that there are versions for the next-gen consoles is what is "new" really. Of course we did not WANT to build new features that the older versions would not be able to support. Something simple as a zoom function that we would just need to turn off for other versions is not a big deal, but if we would say...add 2 new PS4-Exclusive bosses that would mean that they are no longer compatible with other versions (that is 1) and that we would have to maintain two different versions of the game, which is very expensive to do (that is 2), and it would piss off everyone who was not playing in a PS4 (that is 3).

So to answer your original question: unless you are not happy with your current versions, or your vita breaks or something, you do not need to get the PS4 versions. This month I am ok with paying my bills, maybe I will ask you to get it anyway next month ;) ;) :D

Nah Shim, I will give you that much...there really is nothing "new" in the next-gen versions, the fact that there are versions for the next-gen consoles is what is "new" really. Of course we did not WANT to build new features that the older versions would not be able to support. Something simple as a zoom function that we would just need to turn off for other versions is not a big deal, but if we would say...add 2 new PS4-Exclusive bosses that would mean that they are no longer compatible with other versions (that is 1) and that we would have to maintain two different versions of the game, which is very expensive to do (that is 2), and it would piss off everyone who was not playing in a PS4 (that is 3).

So to answer your original question: unless you are not happy with your current versions, or your vita breaks or something, you do not need to get the PS4 versions. This month I am ok with paying my bills, maybe I will ask you to get it anyway next month ;) ;) :D
Alright, I see your point of view. Maybe I will buy it when I get a PS4 (probably will tbh). Lol. But I do have a question (If you have the power to answer it that is) Whats next for Terraria Console? Are you guys working on the update now or will start it as soon as 1.3 comes out?

Back
Top Bottom