Switch Am I just unlucky or is this a bug?

MrSinister

Terrarian
I’ve been on my small hardmode expert world pretty much since 1.3.5 came to switch, and since then, I haven’t been able to go to the desert without finding a sandstorm save for rare occasions. Am I just that unlucky or is this some sort of rng bug with the new update? It’s getting annoying having to go through a constant sandstorm in my desert every single day.

Edit: I seem to have found another bug which nullifies the effects of the cobalt/obsidian shield, giving you knockback even when equipped, and I’m not sure how this got triggered but it doesn’t seem to go away. I’ll send these things in a bug report but maybe a staff member will see this and spread the word. Switch still seems to be a broken game.

Last edited:
I’ve been on my small hardmode expert world pretty much since 1.3.5 came to switch, and since then, I haven’t been able to go to the desert without finding a sandstorm save for rare occasions. Am I just that unlucky or is this some sort of rng bug with the new update? It’s getting annoying having to go through a constant sandstorm in my desert every single day.

Edit: I seem to have found another bug which nullifies the effects of the cobalt/obsidian shield, giving you knockback even when equipped, and I’m not sure how this got triggered but it doesn’t seem to go away. I’ll send these things in a bug report but maybe a staff member will see this and spread the word. Switch still seems to be a broken game.
Hi @MrSinister, for the sandstorms, I hear from other members they also think it’s too much. If it’s any consolation, in the newest PC update sandstorms were made to be less common.

If you could get a video of the cobalt shield not applying knockback, that’d be great. It’s not equipped in your vanity slot is it?

Hi @MrSinister, for the sandstorms, I hear from other members they also think it’s too much. If it’s any consolation, in the newest PC update sandstorms were made to be less common.

If you could get a video of the cobalt shield not applying knockback, that’d be great. It’s not equipped in your vanity slot is it?
I sent both of these bugs in a report to 505, including a video of the obsidian shield bug on large worlds, and the sandstorm issue is more than just a quirk making them more common; it’s every time I go to the desert. Not encountering a sandstorm is a very rare occurrence. This makes the early game infuriatingly limiting, as sandstorms are nigh impossible to traverse with early game gear. Having to encounter one constantly essentially blocks off part of my world until I can gather enough loot to survive the sandstorm. This also means early hardmode is even more difficult than it is already. Both bugs won’t go away no matter what I try, though the sandstorm one is the most game-breaking.

I sent both of these bugs in a report to 505, including a video of the obsidian shield bug on large worlds, and the sandstorm issue is more than just a quirk making them more common; it’s every time I go to the desert. Not encountering a sandstorm is a very rare occurrence. This makes the early game infuriatingly limiting, as sandstorms are nigh impossible to traverse with early game gear. Having to encounter one constantly essentially blocks off part of my world until I can gather enough loot to survive the sandstorm. This also means early hardmode is even more difficult than it is already. Both bugs won’t go away no matter what I try, though the sandstorm one is the most game-breaking.
That’s great that you were able to send the info and video to Pipeworks @MrSinister, and thanks for sharing the info here.

On the shield bug, does it only happen in large worlds? This is the first I’m hearing of it, so trying to gather info in case I can help other members that stop by with a similar problem.

That’s great that you were able to send the info and video to Pipeworks @MrSinister, and thanks for sharing the info here.

On the shield bug, does it only happen in large worlds? This is the first I’m hearing of it, so trying to gather info in case I can help other members that stop by with a similar problem.
Just to add to this, I also seem to receiving more rain than I used to. I don't know if this is a bug or just (un)luck.

The storms are easily imo the worst addition to the game so far. It lags so hard on switch and just generally makes gameplay so unenjoyable in the desert and snow biomes.

Hi Sinister. I agree that this was very annoying. I noticed that sandstorms would come sometimes even twice in a day. This is annoying because the sandstorms will last at least 10-15 minutes (which is about the same as the full Terraria daytime). I actually got so tired of it that I built a minecart system to dash me through the sandstorm quickly, but unfortunately, I have to keep holding the joystick in the direction that I want to go. This is because the sandstorm will constantly slow down the minecart. Rainstorm rates actually seem the same as they were on PC 1.3 from my experience. They do get annoying but I haven't experienced that much lag except in multiplayer. Anyone with lag issues can always turn off the effects in the video settings.

I play on switch too, the first time I went into the desert, there was a sandstorm. I pushed through the sandstorm, and then something that looked like a tumbleweed came and flattened my :red:. Death message “ ICYG3NESIS was eviscerated by Angry Tumbler” yep, a :red:ing angry tumbler, I was really pissed off, there has only been three times where there has been no sandstorm in my medium world.

sandstorms are stupid but it isn't a bug somehow. it is being changed in the 1.4 update coming very soon

Back
Top Bottom