Am I the only one who likes the pillars?

I love the pillars as well. They're the fun ultimate test of how far you've come as a player. Challenging as it should be and the creatures look awesome.

I switch between liking them and hating them depending on each seperate experience with them. The only one I actively dislike is the Solar Pillar, which is just insane.

i like the aesthetic, i just think they overstay their welcome a bit in higher difficulty levels, especially in multiplayer modes.

I like the Pillars for similar reasons as @Aurora3500 does, I do think that a few mechanics can use some improvement though. 🤔🍷
  • I think the "Shield Gimmick" could benefit from being a lil' bit more interactive and intentional.
  • I also think that "Breaking the Shield" should have a bit more "spectacle" or be more "noticeable".
  • Lastly, I think it'd be a bit more satisfying if the Enemies started to reduce in number, the weaker the Pillar is [to show that you're winning].
It's certainly functional, but honestly, it's also still a bit "unpolished" when it comes to communicating what's actually happening, to the Player.

I like the Pillars for similar reasons as @Aurora3500 does, I do think that a few mechanics can use some improvement though. 🤔🍷
  • I think the "Shield Gimmick" could benefit from being a lil' bit more interactive and intentional.
  • I also think that "Breaking the Shield" should have a bit more "spectacle" or be more "noticeable".
  • Lastly, I think it'd be a bit more satisfying if the Enemies started to reduce in number, the weaker the Pillar is [to show that you're winning].
It's certainly functional, but honestly, it's also still a bit "unpolished" when it comes to communicating what's actually happening, to the Player.
As much as I agree to Sakurai's topic. It would not fit in every kind of game. And Terraria is a good example, you'd want to avoid making the game feel 'lagging'.

Terraria still has accidently that little "stop" moment in hardcore, when it drops all the items while dying. I like how they left that part in.

The Shield already has a healthbar and a large eruption when it's gone, I don't think it needs more. Especially not a game freeze.

On Topic:
The Pillars are an awesome event for the endgame, and I don't dislike any of them particulair.

But I've to say it is a rather long event, (even brutal in Master Mode) and a rather grindy one once you run out of fragments. So it's a good thing the Summon tablet exists, and is made cheaper for the next update as well.

As much as I agree to Sakurai's topic. It would not fit in every kind of game. And Terraria is a good example, you'd want to avoid making the game feel 'lagging'.
Honestly, it's a bit too late for that... lag-spikes are littered all over the place now. 😅 🤷‍♂️ *sarcasm*

Terraria still has accidently that little "stop" moment in hardcore, when it drops all the items while dying. I like how they left that part in.
Typically, when I'm addressing creatives [in the assumption they'll even see this], I automatically assume they're not gonna take the Copy-Paste route when I give an example, or at least I'd hope not. I never take the position that Terraria should be more like other games, more than simply suggesting that Terraria could benefit more by leaning into it's own themes a bit harder.

In short, make defeating the Pillars feel "satisfying" [because it's currently, not very...], and NO, don't just Copy-Paste Masahiro Sakurai's suggestions!

The Shield already has a healthbar and a large eruption when it's gone, I don't think it needs more. Especially not a game freeze.
I somewhat agree, I don't think Terraria needs any more game freezes [LoL], it would certainly benefit from leaning into it's own themes a bit more though, like my previous suggestion, about making the Player feel as if they are winning [the Battle]... by Enemies being able to swarm you, much-less-in-number, in addition to making each newer kill give more "points" toward dropping the shield, this would address several common complaints about the Pillars, and make the Event feel more "satisfying".

Killing pillars just doesn't "feel good" and it's oftentimes very anticlimactic. It's not a bad Event/ Battle by any means, but it would certainly benefit from a nice lil' touch-up. 🧐🍷

Rest in peace my beloved throwing pillar:
1661525398609.jpeg

Last edited:
People are saying the Solar Pillar is hard, but personally the Nebula Pillar is so damn annoying...especially the Brain Sucklers and the pink monster thing.

I definitely enjoy the pillars plus you can do them at your leisure…also a lot of people don’t know if you wait each pillar slowly sinks vertically over time so you could arguably choose to do one or all in the underworld.

i like solar the most, but i dislike stardust. I like solar because I don't have to wait for enemies to spawn, I can just jump up and down and I get a free kill. stardust is the one I hate because of the cells. my minions never target them and they are very annoying.

Actually though, the idea of a specific boss for whatever path you chose is really unique and fun, it’s like fighting one of them was your characters destiny, and then as a team all four of you, mage range summoner and melee fighters gather to fight moon lord
UNLESS YOUR A MIXED FIGHTER AAAAAA-

I am a fan of the pillars too. They are a worthwhile challenge for the time you can get them and really test your skills. Each pillar has different strategies; they're not straight copies of each other. The solar pillar requires you to remain grounded but the nebula pillar enemies can shoot through walls and requires you to fly around. Once you beat them, you get good weapons that you can use to make the remaining pillars a bit easier.

The nebula pillar is the only one I dislike. There's only four enemies and usually ends up being masses of Brain Sucklers. It's kind of boring in that regard.

I like the aesthetics of the pillars (and ML) but everything past Golem feels like a chore
Kill 10 enemies, die to some bull-poop attack, respawn, repeat
Then hop on your rail track in the sky, hold M1, teleport to the other end of the map, repeat
I probably feel this way because I exclusively play on Master, but I don't remember the whole celestial event thing being any more enjoyable on normal/expert

I do enjoy the pillars all except for Nebula. It feels too bullet-hell compared to anything else, though I guess that's to be expected from a ranged-based pillar fight.

Back
Top Bottom