Mobile Amazon Freetime Error

aerlock

Terrarian
My kids and I love to play Terraria (we have it on PC, XBox, and Mobile - Amazon tablets). I have been looking forward to the release of 1.3 on Amazon tablets so I can setup a local server (looking forward to the linux release of the server so I can put my RaspPi to good use) and have a persistent world for all of us to play in.

With the 1.3 update finally coming to Amazon tablets I have tried to get them updated to the newest release but have hit a snag with making it actually work. When running Terraria in their Freetime profiles I get an error message saying "an unknown error occurred connecting to amazon appstore" and a Quit and Help button. Hitting Quit does the obvious, hitting Help pops open a web browser and then boots me back to the Freetime homepage before anything actually loads.

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any ideas on how to solve it?

Thanks,
Aerlock

Last edited:
Hi @aerlock, please could you elaborate on what freetime is? It sounds like the error might be related to that, rather than Terraria itself.

My kids and I love to play Terraria (we have it on PC, XBox, and Mobile - Amazon tablets). I have been looking forward to the release of 1.3 on Amazon tablets so I can setup a local server (looking forward to the linux release of the server so I can put my RaspPi to good use) and have a persistent world for all of us to play in.

With the 1.3 update finally coming to Amazon tablets I have tried to get them updated to the newest release but have hit a snag with making it actually work. When running Terraria in their Freetime profiles I get an error message saying "an unknown error occurred connecting to amazon appstore" and a Quit and Help button. Hitting Quit does the obvious, hitting Help pops open a web browser and then boots me back to the Freetime homepage before anything actually loads.

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any ides on how to solve it?

Thanks,
Aerlock
Hi @aerlock, what’s the model number of the Amazon tablets? And will the tablet update to 1.3 if it’s not in FreeTime mode, but regular mode?

Darth, FreeTime is kind of like kids mode, it’s subscription based from Amazon.

@darthmorf Amazon Freetime is the Kids mode for their tablets.

@Unit One The tablet is supported (HD8 2017 model) and updated to 1.3. It runs outside the Freetime environment just fine and it even runs and loads to the menu behind the error inside Freetime. I just cant get the error message to go away and actually play it.

I suspect this is related to the Freetime environment and the restricted protections it has. Based on the wording of the error I think its having a problem talking to the Amazon appstore from within Freetime. What kind of appstore checks does the game do when it loads up? I'm assuming theres some kind of license check. Does that check maybe require a permission that could be restricted in the kids mode? Like maybe purchasing permission?

Aerlock

@darthmorf Amazon Freetime is the Kids mode for their tablets.

@Unit One The tablet is supported (HD8 2017 model) and updated to 1.3. It runs outside the Freetime environment just fine and it even runs and loads to the menu behind the error inside Freetime. I just cant get the error message to go away and actually play it.

I suspect this is related to the Freetime environment and the restricted protections it has. Based on the wording of the error I think its having a problem talking to the Amazon appstore from within Freetime. What kind of appstore checks does the game do when it loads up? I'm assuming theres some kind of license check. Does that check maybe require a permission that could be restricted in the kids mode? Like maybe purchasing permission?

Aerlock
Thanks for the extra info Aerlock, we’ll see what info we can find out.

When I get home tonight I'll see if I can make it go away by changing permissions on my kids Freetime account and report back here.

Aerlock

When I get home tonight I'll see if I can make it go away by changing permissions on my kids Freetime account and report back here.

Aerlock
I turned on the ability for the kid profiles to make purchases from the appstore and the game loaded just fine. So something about the license check portion of the code is needing permission to make a purchase to verify that the app is licensed. Once I turned the purchasing ability off again the error doesn't appear and the app won't even load up to the splash screen any more. I would obviously like to keep the ability to make purchases in the appstore under lockdown. Any chance of getting the verification code changed to not require the ability to make purchases form the appstore?

Aerlock

I turned on the ability for the kid profiles to make purchases from the appstore and the game loaded just fine. So something about the license check portion of the code is needing permission to make a purchase to verify that the app is licensed. Once I turned the purchasing ability off again the error doesn't appear and the app won't even load up to the splash screen any more. I would obviously like to keep the ability to make purchases in the appstore under lockdown. Any chance of getting the verification code changed to not require the ability to make purchases form the appstore?

Aerlock
Thanks for the extra info Aerlock. I’ve passed it along.

Hi @aerlock, a new patch has come out for Terrraia on Amazon, and included in the list of fixes is:
After updating to the newest version (1.3.0.7.6 build 285), are you still having an issue while the tablet is in FreeTime?

@aerlock, did you get it to work?
I have been plaing terraria with my kids Kindle fire HD7 gen7 and gen8 with purchases blocked, if the patch fixed it let us know, if not I can discuss the settings on my kindles compared to yours if you need.
Perhaps you can have purchases blocked, but still need another permission open.

Back
Top Bottom