Weapons & Equip An idea to make the Brain of Confusion more unique.

What should the Brain of Confusion do?

• Total voters

Dapling

Duke Fishron
How about rather than inflicting confusion on taking a hit, it pulls from a random pool of debuffs and inflicts it on enemies around you? This wouldn't be great, but imagine if it pulled something like betsy's curse? Obviously it couldn't do anything like Darkness or Slowed, but it would still at least have a chance to be useful and still would work thematically. (Because confusion in games generally refers to something random happening.)
Another idea (thanks @ShadeDB) is to be granted a random buff on every hit. This could either be extremely helpful (well fed) or useless (gills) but it would allow for interesting strategies such as taking a bunch of hits in a row from a weak enemy in order to find a floating island.
A third option is taking both and giving a 50% chance for each. It would be at least a fun item, if not a very practical one.

Last edited:
Hmm... I sort of like it, but it might be even more useless than it already is. Maybe it inflicts current rebuffs you already have. Example: Medusa stones you, and you fall on a dart trap plate and get poisoned. Medusa hits you, and the brain then stones Medusa and poisons her.

Hmm... I sort of like it, but it might be even more useless than it already is. Maybe it inflicts current rebuffs you already have. Example: Medusa stones you, and you fall on a dart trap plate and get poisoned. Medusa hits you, and the brain then stones Medusa and poisons her.
Another great thing about this, if you have Betsy’s curse, then an enemy hits you, ALL other enemies get Betsy’s curse.

Another great thing about this, if you have Betsy’s curse, then an enemy hits you, ALL other enemies get Betsy’s curse.
Nothing in the game inflicts you with betsy's curse, and most of the debuffs the player can take are either not as effective (like poisoned) or simply don't do anything when applied to an enemy (petrified, darkness, chilled, webbed, slowed... many others) It would definitely be less useless than pulling confused every time because you could pull something like electrified, ichor, shadowflame...

Nothing in the game inflicts you with betsy's curse, and most of the debuffs the player can take are either not as effective (like poisoned) or simply don't do anything when applied to an enemy (petrified, darkness, chilled, webbed, slowed... many others) It would definitely be less useless because you could pull something like electrified, ichor, shadowflame...
Yeah you’re right. I’m not familiar with what inflicts what debuff, but I prefer the random pool anyways.

Alternatively, the brain of confusion could inflict a random buff on the player.

Yeah you’re right. I’m not familiar with what inflicts what debuff, but I prefer the random pool anyways.

Alternatively, the brain of confusion could inflict a random buff on the player.
Or it could be a 50% chance to do a buff to you, 50% chance to do a debuff to everything around you. I'll add a poll to see what people like.

If it simply inflicted confusion on every enemy you attack say around ~50% of the time then it would be slightly more useful. If it were 100% of the time it might actually be overpowered against fighter enemies.

If it simply inflicted confusion on every enemy you attack say around ~50% of the time then it would be slightly more useful. If it were 100% of the time it might actually be overpowered against fighter enemies.
Omega pointed out that most Hardmode enemies are immune to confusion, so the boost wouldn’t help much.

The Brain of confusion should stay the same, maybe just instead of inflicting the confusion debuff it, (for all enemies,) gives a 25%-50% chance of the enemy doing no damage.

Well it is a pre-hardmode item, but you are right, many enemies are immune to it.
Also, to quote Omega again, expert mode items are supposed to carry you out through the whole game. The royal gel, demon heart, SoC, Worm Scarf, and hive pack all do that after PHM. It’s really only the Bone Glove and BoC that don’t work well.

The Brain of confusion should stay the same, maybe just instead of inflicting the confusion debuff it, (for all enemies,) gives a 25%-50% chance of the enemy doing no damage.
Isn’t that just the black belt? Titanium armor also has a similar effect, I think.

Yeah, but few things do it, so making the chance lower, it could be balanced.
True, true. I don’t really have an argument against the idea, it’s just a little... unattractive? I don’t like the idea of it being a dodge item, but that’s just my opinion.

True, true. I don’t really have an argument against the idea, it’s just a little... unattractive? I don’t like the idea of it being a dodge item, but that’s just my opinion.
I can see why, but I can't really think what else confusion would go with.

I can see why, but I can't really think what else confusion would go with.
Well, Omega was thinking we get rid of the confusion entirely, and have the BoC inflict enemies with random debuff instead.

My idea was to have the BoC give you a buff every time you were hit.

Well, Omega was thinking we get rid of the confusion entirely, and have the BoC inflict enemies with random debuff instead.

My idea was to have the BoC give you a buff every time you were hit.
I'm not too sure if removing it would be a good idea, but the random buffs can relate to the item itself.

It's a nice idea and it's mostly a buff but like, it still wouldn't be used.

The biggest problem the Brain of Confusion has is that it's one of those items that don't actually do anything until you take a hit. Most "good" accessories are either good passive bonuses (Worm Scarf, the Emblems) or a good active mobility (Double Jump, Dashes). Something that does literally nothing until you take a hit will almost always be bad unless the effect is overtuned as hell.

Almost every debuff in the game does practically nothing to enemies, and those debuffs that do can just be applied with a weapon rather than by equipping an accessory that will only rarely do so. In fact, this idea probably makes it a worse accessory since Confusion is like the best thing you can inflict already. Same problem arises with making it give buffs to you, you can just use potions yourself for those buffs that matter.

BoC either needs a full rework or some basic stats up to make it considerable.

Back
Top Bottom