PC an idea

i had an idea when building npc homes, why cant you place paintings
behind staircases/platforms or furniture?
I think i would be an amazing addition to building in Terraria or am i wrong?

You can't place paintings behind furniture for the same reason you can't place a chair behind a table: they both are furniture. Paintings are implemented as furniture. Yes, they don't have to be placed on blocks, but they're part of the furniture layer of Terraria's world. So as far as the code is concerned, they are furniture.

And furniture cannot overlap other furniture.

Similarly, you can't place paintings behind staircases because staircases are just platforms and platforms are blocks. And furniture can only be placed in a space if there are no blocks covering that space.

Now yes, the developers could develop some specialized "painting" layer specifically for paintings, one which allows overlap with both furniture and certain kinds of foreground blocks. But that's a really huge amount of work for something that is extremely cosmetic. Paintings aren't interesting enough as objects to be worth that time investment.

You can't place paintings behind furniture for the same reason you can't place a chair behind a table: they both are furniture. Paintings are implemented as furniture. Yes, they don't have to be placed on blocks, but they're part of the furniture layer of Terraria's world. So as far as the code is concerned, they are furniture.

Similarly, you can't place paintings behind staircases because staircases are just platforms and platforms are blocks. And furniture can only be placed in a space if there are no blocks covering that space.

Now yes, the developers could develop some specialized "painting" layer specifically for paintings, one which allows overlap with both furniture and certain kinds of foreground blocks. But that's a really huge amount of work for something that is extremely cosmetic. Paintings aren't interesting enough as objects to be worth that time investment.

Now yes, the developers could develop some specialized "painting" layer specifically for paintings, one which allows overlap with both furniture and certain kinds of foreground blocks. But that's a really huge amount of work for somet

Hey
Thanks for the explanation, well that is a bummer, i guessed that such a thing would be time cunsuming with creating a seperate layer and all, would be cool though

Wow I think that that would be an amazing thing to implement! Well the amount of work to making a whole new layer of the world would be immense but it would add so much opportunities for builders! Maybe activated blocks could go in that layer so you could work with them in builds too. I don't think it's going to happen but hey, mods.

Back
Top Bottom