Game Mechanics An option to turn off banner generation

Blacklawn

Terrarian
I know this is a bit specific, but, for people like me who don't care about collecting banners, those that appear every time you kill the 50th of an enemy type are nothing more than an annoyance that consumes inventory space. This is especially aggravating during invasions or solar eclipses. An option to disable the production of banners would be very simple to implement, harmless, and convenient.

I know this is a bit specific, but, for people like me who don't care about collecting banners, those that appear every time you kill the 50th of an enemy type are nothing more than an annoyance that consumes inventory space. This is especially aggravating during invasions or solar eclipses. An option to disable the production of banners would be very simple to implement, harmless, and convenient.
I don't really see a problem with this, and I do agree it gets annoying sometimes. Support!

Maybe it could be an option you could toggle? What about buying an item from an NPC? Just my idea, because some people might change their mind.

Maybe it could be an option you could toggle? What about buying an item from an NPC? Just my idea, because some people might change their mind.

Yeah, that's how I imagined it. There are a few banners I find useful, like the Wyvern and Harpy ones when I'm building skyscrapers, but, other than that, I rarely if ever use them.

How about an increased count?
First banner you get after 50, 2nd also 50, 3rd 100, 4th 100 , 5th 100, then
200, 200, 200, 200,
500, 500, 500, 500, 500,
1000, 1000, 1000, 1000, 1000, 1000,
then 7 times 2k, 8 times 5k, 9times 10k,
10 times 20k, 11 times 50k, 12 times 100k, ....

(increasing could stop at a 100k count or earlier)

This or something similar has been suggested before, but I am still all for it.
I really dislike the unnecessary pollution and continuous micromanagement (aka throwing the banners out every minute) of my inventory. There's enough of that already thanks to the amount of items in this game.

I'd also be somewhat happy if common enemies just have a much lower droprate, just like with the Old One's Army. Maybe even stop an enemy from dropping a banner altogether if it's been killed often enough.

This idea is actually brilliant. When you kill 50 monsters for the first time, you would get a message "The (MONSTER NAME) banner is now for sale!" or something and if you really needed to you could just go and buy the banner from the dryad for a silver or two. Of course there's the question of having enough space in a shop to sell all these, but from there also comes the suggestion to add a scroll down feature within the shops. Brilliant.:dryadgrin:

How about an increased count?
First banner you get after 50, 2nd also 50, 3rd 100, 4th 100 , 5th 100, then
200, 200, 200, 200,
500, 500, 500, 500, 500,
1000, 1000, 1000, 1000, 1000, 1000,
then 7 times 2k, 8 times 5k, 9times 10k,
10 times 20k, 11 times 50k, 12 times 100k, ....

(increasing could stop at a 100k count or earlier)

If I were to throw all mine out then suddenly decide I wanted them to make my house look nice deeper into hard mode, I would have to make an entirely new world and kill those mobs all over again. Also banners on heavy multiplayer servers would pretty much be non existant xP

This idea is actually brilliant. When you kill 50 monsters for the first time, you would get a message "The (MONSTER NAME) banner is now for sale!" or something and if you really needed to you could just go and buy the banner from the dryad for a silver or two. Of course there's the question of having enough space in a shop to sell all these, but from there also comes the suggestion to add a scroll down feature within the shops. Brilliant.:dryadgrin:

My brother has been talking about a similar buy mechanic, he hates the banners too. I think an easy way to deal with the shop size is make unlocked banners only purchasable in the proper biome. (Also, having a new NPC would prevent competition with existing sale items.) Unlocked Shark and crab? Buy at the Ocean. Chaos Elemental? Hallowed. This has two flaws, first is the inherent danger of moving an NPC to places like the dungeon and the underworld. Perhaps these could be purchased during a blood moon. The second is biomes that are limited in size, IE ones that arent already acknowledged by NPCs such as Marble, Granite, Meteor and neutral cavern to name a few. And of course, events have there own issues.

Now for other ideas. I can't support a permanent increase to kill count required because it is server wide. One player may not want it but the next guy who does may be farming hundreds or thousands to get the banner they want. Even locking the kill count to player wont entirely solve this because should a player change their mind they could find themselves in the same boat.

Frankly I don't see why the .2% was changed. I assume due to them gaining a function rather than being trophy pieces. If they were reverted to a percentage the drop rate would significantly be reduced and be less of an inventory clog. Though even at .2% at 10k Green Slimes thats still 50 something banners.

My brother has proposed that they become a permanent hidden stat to the player. Player kills 50 of XX enemy and they get the resistance automatically. This would need to be saved to the player not the server much like hearts and mana. It would also keep banners from consuming a precious buff slot. How the player would check which they have, I dont know. Another menu maybe, or talking to a specific NPC or new one.

The other more radical idea is to have the banners scale based on rarity. Green slime 1/300, Blue slime 1/300, Nymph 1/25, etc. Those are only examples, however I find this option unlikely due to the massive coding it would require to rework each enemy in the kill counter.

One thing is for sure, the number of banners that drops now is unreasonable. (Or perhaps its the required kills to get items that are unreasonable. I wouldn't have 145 Pirate deckhand banners if Lucky Coin wasn't 1/4000.) This goes both ways, I have far too many slime/invasion banners and need to camp hours and hours for Nymph, Tim, Sea Snail. (Seriously why are sea snails so rare?) Personally I liked banners as a trophy piece not a necessity. (Expert or otherwise.) Perhaps the underlying issue is basic enemies are unbalanced which is why the banner buffs were needed in the first place. Thus, the banner drop rate was required to be altered so that the buff was accessible. Though, thats probably just my opinion...

This issue is also fixed with an auto-trash option (I have a mod that does it and I think it should be put into the game officially).

Back
Top Bottom