Blocks & Decoration Ancient Dungeon/Hellstone Brick

FairyPrincessSerenity

Empress of Light
This suggestion is actually for players that have been around since before 1.2, so some of you newer players might not recognize the tiles.

When 1.2 rolled around, a few tiles got a graphical facelift, much like the armor sets of a prior update, which came back as ancient armors in 1.2. The tiles that got the most change were Hellstone Brick, Blue/Green/Pink Brick, and their respective walls.

These are the tiles before 1.2

20131119204447!Blue_Brick.png
Blue Brick

20131119204458!Green_Brick.png
Green Brick

20131119204520!Pink_Brick.png
Pink Brick

20131109010333!Hellstone_Brick.png
Hellstone Brick

Here are the tiles after 1.2

2Blue_Brick.png
Blue Brick

2Green_Brick.png
Green Brick

2Pink_Brick.png
Pink Brick

2Hellstone_Brick.png
Hellstone Brick

And the same goes for the changes to their respective walls.

My suggestion is to bring these back into the game as craftable alternatives, since the old bricks still look pretty neat. Craftable by using 1 brick and 1 sand as the recipe. Here's the recipe list as I figure it.

1 Blue Brick + 1 Sand Block = 1 Ancient Blue Brick
1 Green Brick + 1 Sand Block = 1 Ancient Green Brick
1 Pink Brick + 1 Sand Block = 1 Ancient Pink Brick
1 Hellstone Brick + 1 Sand Block = 1 Ancient Hellstone Brick

1 Ancient Blue Brick = 4 Ancient Blue Brick Wall
1 Ancient Green Brick = 4 Ancient Green Brick Wall
1 Ancient Pink Brick = 4 Ancient Pink Brick Wall
1 Ancient Hellstone Brick = 4 Ancient Hellstone Brick Wall

- Tiles would naturally have their original's properties. So Ancient Hellstone would burn players and Ancient Blue/Green/Pink Brick would be blast-proof.
- Sand is used as the crafting material because of its natural ability to make buildings look weathered, eroded, and generally ancient.

That's all for this suggestion. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
I don't know, ratzher not, remaked brick were maked to have unique look. They are some brick that are same but they aren't too much.

I would love to have the Hellstone and Obsidian bricks back to their old selves, because my polite opinion on their new look is "they look like :red:." Not caring too much about the Dungeon ones, only one I liked was pink brick because it was a pink brick, but snow bricks have basically the same look and can be painted pink.

I have a few thousand pieces of hellstone and obsidian bricks sitting in my chests being ignored because "it wasn't broken and they fixed it."

Hmm... sounds nice. It is a pretty simple concept and I guess I wouldn't mind having these. After all, more building blocks is like Heaven for me, it really is. Nice one, supported.

Oh yeah. I'd forgotten to mention the reason for the sand as part of the crafting recipe. Sand is known as a weathering/eroding force on buildings and building materials. That's where the logic of using it to craft 'ancient blocks' comes in at. Not to mention it also follows the same name logic as the ancient armor pieces added in a prior update.

Updating the original post to reflect that.

This is an interesting idea, though I think a big reason most of the old bricks got new textures in the first place is because most of them were just recolors, and most of them you can now get by using the right paint on stone brick.

The only new one that looks bad is the hellstone brick, and you can remake the old ones using paint and existing bricks.
Hellstone and obsidian brick are very ugly, however.

Old Hellstone brick was amazing. It was easily my favorite 1.1 era brick, and while I love the other brick changes, I was so sad to see that one go. While yes, most of the old bricks were just recolors, the "color" of old Hellstone itself was unique, being a mottled grey and lovely red that glowed . . . completely unmatched by anything in the game now.

I was actually very fond of the old blue brick. I had a house made out of the stuff. It looked like regular bricks and was clownproof to boot. But I miss the old hellstone brick and matching walls even more. The look just told you it was a hot brick, and you wanted it. That unique combination of sharp red and black made for a classy material.

Back
Top Bottom