Game Mechanics Angler and Fishing Improvements

Snickerbobble

The Painter
With only one Angler quest per day and a random reward per completed quest, it can take dozens of hours before you finally get the Golden or Hotline fishing rods, or maybe you want 10 seaweed planters, which takes an average of 300 quests, or 120 hours, :dryadconfused:. Some changing is needed here!

The Angler gives a new quest every day. If you're off doing something else for awhile, you may miss the day's quest, slowing down the already slow process of quests. Instead, the Angler should have a new quest for you every morning and night, as well as keeping the last 5 quests available for completion. This would give the player more quests and more time, so no more constant check ups.

Angler rewards are mostly randomized, meaning a player won't always get what they want, needing to fish for hundreds of hours. Instead, when completing a quest, a prize menu should pop up containing 5 randomized items, allowing the player to choose what they want. Whole vanity sets would only take up one prize spot. If the player doesn't like any of the offered rewards, there could be a "Random" selection to give a random award just like now.

Reaver_Shark.png

Reaver Shark
This is a pickaxe that can be obtained earlygame and is practically the best pre-hardmode pickaxe. It can mine Cobalt and Palladium, causing a massive sequence break. A fix to this issue could be to keep these from being fished up until Queen Bee and Skeletron have been defeated, and lower its mining power to 95%, making it mine Hellstone but not the first hardmode ores. This would still keep it worth using as it would mine stone faster than Molten.

Truffle_Worm.png

Truffle Worm
These can be trouble to catch some times, so after Plantera's defeat, they could be a 1% drop (as item form) from Mushroom enemies. They could also use a caged decorative item.

Copper_Ore.png
Tungsten_Ore.png
Orichalcum_Ore.png
Adamantite_Ore.png
Tin_Bar.png
Gold_Bar.png
Cobalt_Bar.png
Titanium_Bar.png

Ores and Bars
Crates sometimes drop ores and bars. After completing all armor sets and all weapon and tool sets, bars have very little purpose. They should instead drop as their worth in ores to allow players to craft into bricks. If bars are desired, the player will simply craft the ores into them. (or alternatively, let us craft bars back into ores.)

Coralstone_Block.png

Coralstone Blocks
They should be craftable (but still remain as a possible quest reward) out of 2 Coral at a workbench, and should sometimes be found as clumps at the bottom of the ocean. They should also probably blend with sand blocks.

Sonar_Potion.png

Sonar Potion
It's crafted with a Waterleaf, Coral, and Bottled Water, which is the same exact recipe as the Gills Potion. To keep them different, Sonar could use a Glowstick and Gills could use a Sand Block. Sonar Potion should also list "Duke Fishron" when fishing him up, or perhaps "Something Bad."

Fuzzy_Carrot.png

Fuzzy Carrot
A cute but not very useful mount. It should benefit from jump increasing accessories, such as Frog Legs and balloons. As it's a giant bunny, it should be able to leap up 2 block steep slopes, making travel just a little bit quicker, as well as leap twice the default player jump height.

Hardy_Saddle.png

Hardy Saddle
Very slow on land, but quick in water. Not particularly useful. Its speed should be increased (but still a little slow), and provide 10 additional defense. As we'll be able to attack on mounts in 1.3, this could become a great tank's mount. (Assuming we get more mounts in 1.3, they could have different play style uses too.)

Angler_Hat.png
Angler_Vest.png
Angler_Pants.png
Angler_Earring.png
Tackle_Box.png
High_Test_Fishing_Line.png

Fishing Gear
Swapping between all these pieces and your normal setup can be quite the hassle. When all pieces are acquired, they should be tinkerable into Master Fishing Gear at a Tinkerer's Workshop, to take up just one accessory slot.

Fishing in the Sky
Some quest fish must be caught in the sky, but islands uncommonly generate with lakes, and if they do, they're too small, forcing the player to create their own lake. @AntithesisEK has a great solution for this here!

That's all I have for now, I think.. :confused:. Fishing has a lot of potential but it's too grindy right now, especially with a quest per day for a random reward!

Last edited:
It's crafted with a Waterleaf, Coral, and Bottled Water, which is the same exact recipe as the Gills Potion. To keep them different, Sonar could use a Glowstick and Gills could use a Sand Block. Sonar Potion should also list "Duke Fishron" when fishing him up, or perhaps "Something Bad."
I like the idea of adding a Neon Tetra to the Sonar Potion recipe and calling it done. The Tetras are useless anyway.

1. yes! That'll defiently fix things
2. Mining hellstone can be a bit tedious, but, I guess it could work out well
3. Would make sense for them to drop it
4. Anything about the ore bricks gets my support, so heck yeah!
5. That should add a bit more content for the ocean. For "shore"
6. Thw potion in my view isn't really useful. So wether or not it's added, it's ok
7. Yes to the mounts! Just yes! All my yes!
8. Heck Yeah!

Snicker, you never fail to surprise me! I hope this gets added as soon as possible!

The Angler gives a new quest every day. If you're off doing something else for awhile, you may miss the day's quest, slowing down the already slow process of quests. Instead, the Angler should have a new quest for you every morning and night, as well as keeping the last 5 quests available for completion. This would give the player more quests and more time, so no more constant check ups.
Doing quests at night would be a bit obnoxious, since that's when all of the hostile enemies are out and about and night is significantly shorter than daytime anyways. I'd propose simply letting the Angler Kid offer you up to two quests per day. Also, with up to five quests active at a time, the Angler Kid should have some sort of chat option that displays which fish you're supposed to be going after.
Angler rewards are mostly randomized, meaning a player won't always get what they want, needing to fish for hundreds of hours. Instead, when completing a quest, a prize menu should pop up containing 5 randomized items, allowing the player to choose what they want. Whole vanity sets would only take up one prize spot. If the player doesn't like any of the offered rewards, there could be a "Random" selection to give a random award just like now.
+1. A great concept, but I'd like to expand on it a bit. How about three special prize slots for equipment/furniture and two slots for random bait/loot? (Selecting the loot slots would award both.) Additional slots would appear for fixed quest loot such as the Fuzzy Carrot on the 10th, Angler Gear on the 20th, 30th, and 40th, and the Golden Fishing Rod on the 50th, and they would remain for successive quests until they are selected.
Reaver_Shark.png

Reaver Shark
This is a pickaxe that can be obtained earlygame and is practically the best pre-hardmode pickaxe. It can mine Cobalt and Palladium, causing a massive sequence break. A fix to this issue could be to keep these from being fished up until Queen Bee and Skeletron have been defeated, and lower its mining power to 95%, making it mine Hellstone but not the first hardmode ores. This would still keep it worth using as it would mine stone faster than Molten.
Eh, not particularly necessary. If getting to skip items because of RNG is a problem, you have quite a few other places to "fix."
Truffle_Worm.png

Truffle Worm
These can be trouble to catch some times, so after Plantera's defeat, they could be a 1% drop (as item form) from Mushroom enemies. They could also use a caged decorative item.
+1. I can totally support this.
Copper_Ore.png
Tungsten_Ore.png
Orichalcum_Ore.png
Adamantite_Ore.png
Tin_Bar.png
Gold_Bar.png
Cobalt_Bar.png
Titanium_Bar.png

Ores and Bars
Crates sometimes drop ores and bars. After completing all armor sets and all weapon and tool sets, bars have very little purpose. They should instead drop as their worth in ores to allow players to craft into bricks. If bars are desired, the player will simply craft the ores into them. (or alternatively, let us craft bars back into ores.)
I personally haven't had a problem with this, but I guess because it's because I don't craft many Bricks. Either way, this would help with inventory space, since Ores are a crappetonne more stackable than Bars, so I can support this. +1.
Coralstone_Block.png

Coralstone Blocks
They should be craftable (but still remain as a possible quest reward) out of 2 Coral at a workbench, and should sometimes be found as clumps at the bottom of the ocean. They should also probably blend with sand blocks.

Sonar_Potion.png

Sonar Potion

Fuzzy_Carrot.png

Fuzzy Carrot
A cute but not very useful mount. It should benefit from jump increasing accessories, such as Frog Legs and balloons. As it's a giant bunny, it should be able to leap up 2 block steep slopes, making travel just a little bit quicker, as well as leap twice the default player jump height.
+3. Great ideas!
Hardy_Saddle.png

Hardy Saddle
Very slow on land, but quick in water. Not particularly useful. Its speed should be increased (but still a little slow), and provide 10 additional defense. As we'll be able to attack on mounts in 1.3, this could become a great tank's mount. (Assuming we get more mounts in 1.3, they could have different play style uses too.)
I don't think this should be getting special treatment with that defense bonus. Other than that, instead of getting a basic speed bonus, maybe it could slowly accelerate to the player's basic walk speed, just about the same way a player moves when they're affected by the Slow debuff and don't have any speed bonuses.
Angler_Hat.png
Angler_Vest.png
Angler_Pants.png
Angler_Earring.png
Tackle_Box.png

Fishing Gear
Swapping between all these pieces and your normal setup can be quite the hassle. When all pieces are acquired, they should be tinkerable into Master Fishing Gear at a Tinkerer's Workshop, to take up just one accessory slot.
Considering that I've already suggested and modded this with tAPI, it's an excellent "must have" suggestion. Way ahead of you, Snickers! :p

Anyways, I think the Hotline Fishing Pole needs to be a bit more common. A 1/150 chance after 25 quests is a pain in the backside no matter how many rewards you get to pick from, and if you pick something else without realizing how uncommon it is, you're basically screwed. How about a 1/20 chance to appear after 20 quests instead? That way it's actually more likely to show up before the Golden Fishing Rod instead of over three times harder to get. At the moment, Inferno Potions are direly underused because of how rare they are and how late into the game you actually gain the ability to craft them.

Overall, you got +6 support from me. Excellent suggestions! :D You've earned...

index.php
...another gold badge! :happy:

Reaver Shark
I don't this is a big enough of an issue to attend to. I think the power should stay the same. Maybe change when you can get it, but it offers experienced players to get going pretty fast.

Truffle_Worm.png

Truffle Worm
I agree 100%. When farming Duke, this was a bigger pain than killing Duke himself.

Copper_Ore.png
Tungsten_Ore.png
Orichalcum_Ore.png
Adamantite_Ore.png
Tin_Bar.png
Gold_Bar.png
Cobalt_Bar.png
Titanium_Bar.png

Ores and Bars
Crafting bars back into ores would make life very easy, however I think because of realism, they might keep it the way it is. I think changing the drops into ores is a very good idea.

Coralstone_Block.png

Coralstone Blocks
Craftable out of Coral is probably good enough. But you are right, building anything out of Coralstone would take forever considering the drop rate and the amount it gives you when you do get it.

Angler_Hat.png
Angler_Vest.png
Angler_Pants.png
Angler_Earring.png
Tackle_Box.png

Fishing Gear
My personal favorite idea. This would make things insanely less tedious when switching.

I also had an idea of craftable bait that is also specific to certain fish. I have over 1000 bass when I'm hurting for higher rarity fish. I understand the common/uncommon/rare thing, but I was thinking maybe the bait can increase the chance for the rarer fish by certain amount (maybe 25% or so), almost making the common/uncommon ratio 50/50.

Also, I'm not sure if this is my luck, but I seem to get around 1:3 ratio of Flarefin:Obsidifish when the only thing both are used for is the potion, which uses 1:2.. so I have all this extra Obsidifish with nothing to do with it.

I think this idea is useful. Apart from the quests during night considering the amount of monsters and nights are shorter than days. Other than that, I support :)

I need this so much. I am trying to craft the PDA, and getting the Fish Finder is hard.

I NEED IT.

I really like this idea! I think for the Sonar Potion sensing Duke Fishron, it should show a message in a style similar to the other boss messages. Ideas:

"The ocean grows silent..."

"Fish scatter in terror..."

"You see something beneath the waves..."

Little suggestion that fits in here:

Coral can grow on coralstone when submerged in water.

Would allow for for farming away from ocean - like every other in-game potion 'plant' can be.

Back
Top Bottom