Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Ok, the first time this happened to me I had a Golden bug net in my hotbar and when I received the loot from the Angler he gave me another one even though I had one in my inventory.
I thought "Huh, maybe its just because it was in my hotbar and not directly in my storage inventory"

But that was when I took extra steps into trying to not get any duplicates.
Whenever the angler gave me an item I store it in a chest, and before I collect the loot I take all those items from the chest into my inventory. And that should be able to negate the items being duplicated because in the changelog they made it so that if you have Angler items in your inventory, the angler wont give you a duplicate of that item as a reward>

Well,right now I just proved the angler is still rebellious to these changes, as shown in the screenshot, I had all those items in my inventory, and when I collected my reward...it gave me a duplicate Fisher-mans pocket guide......(Also Fisher-mans pocket guide and weather radio post cellphone oof...)

I hope this gets fixed cause rn I dont want to craft a second cellphone before getting the High Test fishing line...Ive been fishing for that thing for days....

Attachments

• Screenshot (258).png
    Screenshot (258).png
    528.8 KB · Views: 200
I believe that's intended. The 'duplicate protection' only applies to the components of the Angler Tackle Bag, and the Fish Finder, so that's why you were able to get another Golden Bug Net.

As for why you got another Fisherman's Pocket Guide, it's because the game only prevents you from getting duplicates if you don't have all of the pieces already. Since you have a Cell Phone in your inventory, the game doesn't stop you from getting more Pocket Guides, Weather Radios or Sextants.

You could get around this by taking the Cell Phone out of your inventory (and leave it in a chest - not your Piggy Bank/Safe, as I think the game checks Piggy Banks for dupes), and keeping two out of three of the components of the Fish Finder in your inventory, because then you won't get either of those two which should increase your chances of getting something for the Angler Tackle Bag.

I believe that's intended. The 'duplicate protection' only applies to the components of the Angler Tackle Bag, and the Fish Finder, so that's why you were able to get another Golden Bug Net.

As for why you got another Fisherman's Pocket Guide, it's because the game only prevents you from getting duplicates if you don't have all of the pieces already. Since you have a Cell Phone in your inventory, the game doesn't stop you from getting more Pocket Guides, Weather Radios or Sextants.

You could get around this by taking the Cell Phone out of your inventory (and leave it in a chest - not your Piggy Bank/Safe, as I think the game checks Piggy Banks for dupes), and keeping two out of three of the components of the Fish Finder in your inventory, because then you won't get either of those two which should increase your chances of getting something for the Angler Tackle Bag.

Oh well
Ill be conducting more tests if this is the case

Welp I tried it and no, it still duplicates...I got a 4th fisherman pocket guide even though i had the cellphone in a chest

I just want high test fishing line
Screenshot (263).png

Did you keep a spare Fisherman's Pocket Guide and Weather Radio on you? As I said in the last part of my post, the game will not give you duplicates of those if you have them in your inventory, and you don't have all three parts already in your inventory.

There's no way to stop getting Fisherman's Pocket Guides, Weather Radios, and Sextants all at once, but you can at least cut out two out of three with some clever inventory management.

Did you keep a spare Fisherman's Pocket Guide and Weather Radio on you? As I said in the last part of my post, the game will not give you duplicates of those if you have them in your inventory, and you don't have all three parts already in your inventory.

There's no way to stop getting Fisherman's Pocket Guides, Weather Radios, and Sextants all at once, but you can at least cut out two out of three with some clever inventory management.
I did
Still no such luck
Maybe Im godly unlucky

I deleted the world and character now cause I got frustrated with it, starting a new one

I encountered the same problem as his, but slightly different. I had all 3 Tackle Bag crafting parts in Void Vault and a Tackle Bag equipped, but the Angler still gave me a Tackle Box. Is this a bug?
Screenshot 2020-10-04 152752.png

Screenshot 2020-10-04 152820.png

That's intended. As I explained in the earlier posts, the game only stops you from getting duplicates if you don't already have all three of the components. Since you already have an Angler Tackle Bag (and all three components separately as well since the game checks the Void Vault I believe), the game allows you to get duplicates.

If you don't want duplicates, keep two out of three of the components on you when redeeming the quest, and make sure you don't have any of the components or the Angler Tackle Bag itself in your Piggy Bank, Safe, Void Vault or Defender's Forge.

according to the reward list on wiki, having fishing bag materials increase the chance of getting fish finder pieces, not the other way around

the order is fish line, earrings, box, guide, radio, sextant, so basically there is nothing you can do to increase the chance of getting fish line by rearranging your inventory

Ok, the first time this happened to me I had a Golden bug net in my hotbar and when I received the loot from the Angler he gave me another one even though I had one in my inventory.
I thought "Huh, maybe its just because it was in my hotbar and not directly in my storage inventory"

But that was when I took extra steps into trying to not get any duplicates.
Whenever the angler gave me an item I store it in a chest, and before I collect the loot I take all those items from the chest into my inventory. And that should be able to negate the items being duplicated because in the changelog they made it so that if you have Angler items in your inventory, the angler wont give you a duplicate of that item as a reward>

Well,right now I just proved the angler is still rebellious to these changes, as shown in the screenshot, I had all those items in my inventory, and when I collected my reward...it gave me a duplicate Fisher-mans pocket guide......(Also Fisher-mans pocket guide and weather radio post cellphone oof...)

I hope this gets fixed cause rn I dont want to craft a second cellphone before getting the High Test fishing line...Ive been fishing for that thing for days....
This keeps happening to me on Switch version. I’ve just been given 5 weather radios in a row even though I have one in my inventory.

Back
Top Bottom