Working as Designed Angler NPC giving duplicate accessories when accessory collection is incomplete.

Ambaire

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 8/8.1
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I have the Angler Tackle Bag, Weather Radio, and Fisherman's Pocket Guide. He keeps giving me accessories for the Tackle Bag instead of the Sextant I need to complete the Fish Finder. So far he's given me 2 duplicate Angler Earrings and 2 High Test Fishing Lines...

He gave me a third high test fishing line today, and that was with all the other accessories in my inventory from the time I started the quest.

Something's bugged with 1.4.0.4.

The Tackle Bag and Fish Finder are two different Accessories, with different pieces/parts. The game keeps track of both separately, having the Tackle Bag in your inventory won't help get you parts for the Fish Finder.

The Tackle Bag and Fish Finder are two different Accessories, with different pieces/parts. The game keeps track of both separately, having the Tackle Bag in your inventory won't help get you parts for the Fish Finder.
I have the Angler Tackle Bag, Weather Radio, and Fisherman's Pocket Guide. He keeps giving me accessories for the Tackle Bag instead of the Sextant I need to complete the Fish Finder. So far he's given me 2 duplicate Angler Earrings and 2 High Test Fishing Lines...

I had kept a fishing line / earring and had them in my inventory when I turned the quests in. I still got duplicates.

It's not completely random anymore. The High Test Fishing Line and the Angler Earring are not part of the Fish Finder. Keeping them in your inventory will not help you get the Sextant. Keeping the Pocket Guide and the Weather Radio, WILL help get the Sextant, as you won't get duplicates of those.

It's not completely random anymore. The High Test Fishing Line and the Angler Earring are not part of the Fish Finder. Keeping them in your inventory will not help you get the Sextant. Keeping the Pocket Guide and the Weather Radio, WILL help get the Sextant, as you won't get duplicates of those.
I had thought that 'accessory collection incomplete' was a global modifier to all angler accessories while the player had not obtained at least 1 of each of them...

Also, in 1.4.0.3, I had completed a Cell Phone on a multiplayer server without ever once seeing a duplicate accessory until I had gotten them all, fish finder and tackle bag.

Something seems to have changed with 1.4.0.4.

Nope. They are per each. It's just RNG doing what RNG does. My prime achievement in Terraria was getting all three pieces of the Fish Finder in less than five minutes. That was a good day!

Well, he decided to cough up the Sextant just now, so eh whatever. hopefully the last time I'll need to do that grind for a month or few.

now if the traveling merchant would just bring the Brick Layer, I'd be really happy.

The only thing we changed in 1.4.0.4 I believe was that the GPS and Cellphone also impact the randomness modifier, but this really shouldn't make a difference for someone who already have the Info accessories (unless you were collecting for a friend).

The only thing we changed in 1.4.0.4 I believe was that the GPS and Cellphone also impact the randomness modifier, but this really shouldn't make a difference for someone who already have the Info accessories (unless you were collecting for a friend).
It was rather infuriating having the tackle bag complete but still getting tackle bag parts instead of the Fish Finder parts...

Well, the two groups aren't related.

Info accessories should protect against duplicate info accessories.

Fishing accessories protect against duplicate fishing accessories.

This is a pretty big improvement over 1.3.5.3 where there was no duplicate protection at all.

Came to the forums to report this issue, before finding this post. I had also read the patch notes and expected that it meant duplicates across all the angler accessories. I still need the fishing line, and kept getting duplicate sextants, pocket guides and weather radios and so thought it was not working, but I see from your final post I have just been unlucky that I'm getting the items related to the Fish Finder and not the Tackle Bag.

Back
Top Bottom