NPCs & Enemies Angler Overhaul: Adding less RNG to the game

cancan460

Skeletron
1.3 introduced the Cellphone, an item which requires absolutely crazy amounts of fishing to acquire the components of. Although RNG is sometimes a good thing, I'd say making a more player-controlled game ends up being more enjoyable and more interactive. Here is my idea to achieve this purpose:

Rewards overhaul: The Angler no longer gives RNG items, he still gives specific items on certain milestones though (Fuzzy Carrot on 5th, Angler set on 10th, 15th, 20th, etc.), he instead gives a certain amount of Angler's tokens.

Currently, the Angler gives a random item when you complete a quest, with specific items when you hit certain milestones and chances to get certain items too.
My idea does not change the items you get at milestones, these can stay. My idea is to add a new currency to the game: Angler's tokens.
The Angler's tokens stack in amounts of up to 999, and the angler gives a reasonable amount (say, 5-10 and maybe large amounts like 20-30 on milestones like 5th quest and 10th quest), these tokens can be used in two ways:

New button #1: Cash in tokens, you get 10 silver coins for every token, thus rewarding you with 50-100 silver coins for every quest, and about 2-3 gold coins for milestone quests if you cash in every token. The amount could increase when you do more quests, maybe with a multiplier of 0.02x, so after 20 quests you'd get 140% the normal amount.

New button #2: The Angler's store, you can trade in your Angler's tokens for the items which you currently get with RNG. The fuzzy carrot, the angler set and the golden fishing rod are still acquired from the quest milestone rewards.

Store database (numbers are WIP, not necessarily final):
- Apprentice bait - 2 angler's tokens for 10
- Journeyman bait - 4 angler's tokens for 10
- Master bait - 8 angler's tokens for 10
- Coralstone blocks - 1 angler's tokens for 10

- Decorative items with, currently, a 1/30 chance (Bunnyfish Trophy, Goldfish Trophy, Sharkteeth trophy, Swordfish trophy, Treasure map, Seaweed planter, Pillagin Me Pixels, Compass Rose, Ship's Wheel, Life Preserver, Wall Anchor, Ship in a Bottle) - 15 angler's tokens each. Considering the store would be way too full if too many of these were available, they would swap daily with 5 available each day.

- Fishing potions with, currently, a 1/15 chance for 2-5 (Sonar, Fishing, Crate) - 2 tokens for sonar, 3 for fishing, 3 for crate.

- Fish Finder components with, currently, a 1/40 chance (Pocket Guide, Radio, Sextant) - 45 tokens each

- Fishing accessories with, currently, a 1/40 chance (Fishing Line, Earring, Tackle Box) - 35 tokens each

- Costume boxes with, currently, a 1/40 chance (contain the full costumes, either fish or mermaid) - 55 tokens each

- Fish Hook - 60 tokens
- Golden Bug Net - 70 tokens
- Golden Fishing Rod (Still awarded after 30 quests, this is just an alternate method available after 75 quests done) - 125 tokens
- Hotline Fishing Hook (Hardmode only, available after 25th quest) - 100 tokens
- Fin Wings (Hardmode, available after 10th quest) - 75 tokens
- Super Absorbant Sponge (Hardmode, available after 10th quest) - 70 tokens
- Bottomless Water Bucket (Hardmode, available after 10th quest) - 70 tokens

A question you might have is: Why work with these new 'angler's tokens' and not just gold? The answer is simple: we want the player to be rewarded for their fishing. The current fishing system does not feel rewarding enough simply because it's RNG, you have a CHANCE to get lucky, but you don't feel like you're working towards something.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to do here and like my idea.
Feedback? Cost changes maybe? Comment below!

Last edited:
1.3 introduced the Cellphone, an item which requires absolutely crazy amounts of fishing to acquire the components of. Although RNG is sometimes good thing, I'd say making a more player-controlled game ends up being more enjoyable and more interactive. Here is my idea to achieve this purpose:

Rewards overhaul: The Angler no longer gives RNG items, he still gives specific items on certain milestones though (Fuzzy Carrot on 5th, Angler set on 10th, 15th, 20th, etc.), he instead gives a certain amount of Angler's tokens.

Currently, the Angler gives a random item when you complete a quest, with specific items when you hit certain milestones and chances to get certain items too.
My idea does not change the items you get at milestones, these can stay. My idea is to add a new currency to the game: Angler's tokens.
The Angler's tokens stack in large amounts of up to 99999, and the angler gives a reasonable amount (say, 500-1000 and maybe large amounts like 2000-3000 on milestones like 5th quest and 10th quest), these tokens can be used in two ways:

New button #1: Cash in tokens, you get 10 copper coins for every token, thus rewarding you with 50-1000 silver coins for every quest, and about 2-3 gold coins for milestone quests if you cash in every token. The amount could increase when you do more quests, maybe with a multiplier of 0.02x, so after 20 quests you'd get 140% the normal amount.

New button #2: The Angler's store, you can trade in your Angler's tokens for the items which you currently get with RNG. The fuzzy carrot, the angler set and the golden fishing rod are still acquired from the quest milestone rewards.

Store database:
- Apprentice bait - 15 angler's tokens each
- Journeyman bait - 40 angler's tokens each
- Master bait - 80 angler's tokens each
- Coralstone blocks - 10 angler's tokens each

- Decorative items with, currently, a 1/30 chance (Bunnyfish Trophy, Goldfish Trophy, Sharkteeth trophy, Swordfish trophy, Treasure map, Seaweed planter, Pillagin Me Pixels, Compass Rose, Ship's Wheel, Life Preserver, Wall Anchor, Ship in a Bottle) - 1500 angler's tokens each. Considering the store would be way too full if too many of these were available, they would swap daily with 5 available each day.

- Fishing potions with, currently, a 1/15 chance for 2-5 (Sonar, Fishing, Crate) - 150 tokens for sonar, 200 for fishing, 250 for crate.

- Fish Finder components with, currently, a 1/40 chance (Pocket Guide, Radio, Sextant) - 4500 tokens each

- Fishing accessories with, currently, a 1/40 chance (Fishing Line, Earring, Tackle Box) - 3500 tokens each

- Costume boxes with, currently, a 1/40 chance (contain the full costumes, either fish or mermaid) - 5500 tokens each

- Fish Hook - 6000 tokens
- Golden Bug Net - 7000 tokens
- Golden Fishing Rod (Still awarded after 30 quests, this is just an alternate method available after 75 quests done) - 12500 tokens
- Hotline Fishing Hook (Hardmode only, available after 25th quest) - 10000 tokens
- Fin Wings (Hardmode, available after 10th quest) - 7500 tokens
- Super Absorbant Sponge (Hardmode, available after 10th quest) - 7000 tokens
- Bottomless Water Bucket (Hardmode, available after 10th quest) - 7000 tokens

A question you might have is: Why work with these new 'angler's tokens' and not just gold? The answer is simple: we want the player to be rewarded for their fishing. The current fishing system does not feel rewarding enough simply because it's RNG, you have a CHANCE to get lucky, but you don't feel like you're working towards something.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to do here and like my idea.
Feedback? Cost changes maybe? Comment below!
Support

I totally dig this idea. Fishing feels like a pointless activity to bother with in its current implementation, & right now, using a Pole & a Truffle Worm to summon Duke Fishron feels like the only valid reason for this to exist at this time.

(Though it also doesn't help that the Angler himself is a little douchebag...)

I totally dig this idea. Fishing feels like a pointless activity to bother with in its current implementation, & right now, using a Pole & a Truffle Worm to summon Duke Fishron feels like the only valid reason for this to exist at this time.

(Though it also doesn't help that the Angler himself is a little douchebag...)
Although I disagree with your statement partially (Fuzzy carrot is a really good mobility mount, crates give hardmode bars, etc.) I do thank you for your support :)

Although I disagree with your statement partially (Fuzzy carrot is a really good mobility mount, crates give hardmode bars, etc.) I do thank you for your support :)
I'm using the Slime Mount atm & dunno if i'd use the Rabbit instead if I got'em, but I forgot about the Opening Crates in Hardmode for Hardmode Ores thing... I might have to rethink not fishing now...

Once you get all hardmode ores and have the guaranteed items It can get dull...

Once you get all hardmode ores and have the guaranteed items It can get dull...
Yeah but that's like saying that the pumpkin moon gets dull after you beat Moon Lord. Fishing is a way of progressing and a way of getting good items reasonably early on, and it's definitely fun if you get a random shark pickaxe or fishbombs. I just want to give it more purpose than it currently has, which is being a mostly RNG-based path of progression. I loved all the new potions in the 1.2 updates, and part of that love was the fact that they used fishes to make them, giving fishing a solid purpose which isn't an RNG-based path of progression. It's also the reason I want the rewards to be less RNG-based; a more defined, solid purpose for fishing.

Yeah but that's like saying that the pumpkin moon gets dull after you beat Moon Lord. Fishing is a way of progressing and a way of getting good items reasonably early on, and it's definitely fun if you get a random shark pickaxe or fishbombs. I just want to give it more purpose than it currently has, which is being a mostly RNG-based path of progression. I loved all the new potions in the 1.2 updates, and part of that love was the fact that they used fishes to make them, giving fishing a solid purpose which isn't an RNG-based path of progression. It's also the reason I want the rewards to be less RNG-based; a more defined, solid purpose for fishing.
That's true.

Totally agree with you, this would make the game way less random and make me want to do some fishing, most of the times i dont fish becouse the reward can be something useless like a painting or an awesome item like an endless bucket. Total suport:D

I love the fishing mechanic, i fish every day, but I agree it sometimes feels likes a chore just getting. the cellphone items. Full support even if I don't care spending a whole say fishing.

DEFINITELY. THANK GOD SOMEONE SAID THIS.

Erm... -cough-
I just.. I like having the random rewards too, but Tokens.. Yes.. Please... So many times I have found myself without a Sky Lake, or a Corrupt Lake, or a Crimson Lake.. Of some sort.. And it's really annoying when it says "Go fishing in the Corruption" and I don't have a lake to do so and I have to abandon it. If I could BUY the Infini-bucket, and the Infini-sponge, I would do more quests.
So yes. I support. Greatly.

I like this idea. But maybe less tokens given and things cost less? ;-; Just a thought.
Agreed. Having to spend more inventory space on the Tokens to get expensive stuff is very Inventory Space unfriendly. :merchantsad:
Thanks guys! The numbers could indeed use some tweaking, but remember that the tokens stack to 99999 per inventory slot, so it shouldn't be too much of an inventory problem even if you're hoarding them.

DEFINITELY. THANK GOD SOMEONE SAID THIS.

Erm... -cough-
I just.. I like having the random rewards too, but Tokens.. Yes.. Please... So many times I have found myself without a Sky Lake, or a Corrupt Lake, or a Crimson Lake.. Of some sort.. And it's really annoying when it says "Go fishing in the Corruption" and I don't have a lake to do so and I have to abandon it. If I could BUY the Infini-bucket, and the Infini-sponge, I would do more quests.
So yes. I support. Greatly.
That's indeed one thing which would be kind of nice. I've had to make an artificial lake by creating a waterfall from a skylake and dropping it all onto the correct biome, it would've been a lot easier with the infinite bucket.

Last edited:
Maybe if you reduced both the prices and the max stack? For example instead of coralstone being 10 each it could be 1 token and you get 10. The max tokens should be 999.

This!

This is what we need!
I haven't gotten the cell phone yet because I only have gotten 1 of the 3 components needed for it!
Also being able to buy all the other stuff would be incredibly useful!

Though I think that having something past 999 would take an improvement to the games engine or something, you might need to rebalance prices for a 999 cap. However, I still support!

Back
Top Bottom