Animation

ninjofes

Terrarian
Video:

While fixing and compressing my previous display machine, I decided that displaying many images in rapid sequence might be as useful as selecting images to load.
It only took a bit of messing the the input mechanism, and I had made a simple animation, given the limits of a monochrome 8x8 display.

This works by having a hoik actor activate the loading of several bitmap images, one after another. In terms of just animating, a pulse on every pixel that changed between every frame would suffice, connected to a reset unit (a transistor who's output gate and input regular lamp are covered by the same wire for every pixel) for every torch.

For those who haven't seen it, here is my current display, which should be rather self-explanitory.
There are ways that it could be smaller(see here and here for images, here and here for threads. Maybe a general displays thread might be a good thing to create?)
Ez6p
itsB

In case anyone thought my previous image loading system was big, I can proudly say that it has been shrunken down significantly. I plan to extend it to at least 64 characters/images.

Before (also see here)
NZj3

After (also see here)
dds9

The transmitter and the input are now built together, in a nice, tileable, compact array. (For individual colours, see here)

Lj2v

Here is one eighth of the machine, the part that controls the top row of the display.
First of all, let me apologize for the poor lighting and missing red wire up on the top row, fifth column. I can fix these if you really want me to.

Each column of the transmitter on the left controls a different state - that is to say a different image. Each row controls a pixel.
The columns are each transmitters, "reset-less" modifications of those designed by @Niranufoti (A big thanks, by the way, for making something so awesome, versatile, and useful.). The red wire toggles the pixel's state, the blue wire is for timing, and the green wire carries the signal to the decoder.
The yellow wire activates the second row of the display.

On the right is a decoder which, from far away, activates or deactivates the torches in the display.

The eight wires in the middle will become the N-bit signal used to have a certain character loaded. In an animation, this isn't used.

Ultimately, this showcase was not made to show off my animation skills but to show of the computer that can handle rapidly changing images. If you can design a better 8x8 animation, show me and I might make it in-game. (Or, make it yourself!)

World Download: coming soon

~~THE FUTURE

As of now, our current limits are mainly related to the display. While this can be extended a great deal in one dimension, it would be nice to have more than 8 pixels per both column and row of the display, and multiple colours... But how would this be done?

Longer durations can easily be made by extending the length of the film, that is to say the amount of columns in the transmission array. This could be a source of some fun.

However, for now, I will be reverting this to its original use as a system to load characters, as a graphical computer. I seek to add more 'screens', or 'chunks', or '8x8 sections of pixels' which can be modified independently (text files?)... And maybe a hard drive, or even some programs to go with it.
Above all this, I also have personal priorities do deal with first.

Do you guys see ways in which I can make this better? If so, please do share your ideas.
Your help is appreciated, and keep up the awesomeness found at T-MEC!

Should be a block that's white by default and turns black with power or something like that. Would be cool for clocks or something like this

Back
Top Bottom