Anime General Discussion

My favorite animes are mostly oldies:

Sailor Moon (both the original anime and Crystal), Mahoutsuji Orphen, Rurouni Kenshin, Captain Tsubasa, Card Captor Sakura, Maison Ikokku, Kimagure Orange Road, Ranma Nibunnoichi, Dr. Slump, Fushigi ni Umi no Nadia.

Right now, the only anime I'm watching is Sailor Moon Crystal.

I like anime with good action scenes the most, but I prefer action with little blood (Captain Tsubasa and Ranma are good examples of that.) Romance tends to bore me fast, unless it's a side-dish to go with the action and explosions (Sailor Moon does this a lot.)

My favorite character is ChibiUsa Tsukino from Sailor Moon. Can be rather badass when she needs to be, but is also quite silly at times. I also like the quiet characters who are actually quiet and not bombs waiting to explode. So, Ami Mizuno and Hotaru Tomoe are also in my list of favorites.

Can also get to like the "cool princess" types, but not if they're obnoxious about it.

My favorite anime is To Love-Ru. I know it's ecchi, and that's kinda frowned upon sometimes, but I think it's a really funny anime. Patiently awaiting season 4.

Sorry to say that the only anime-ish thing I can recall ever enjoying and following is RWBY, which I'm still keeping track of now.

I'm not sure that even counts for anything, though. Or is it just basically anime with training wheels?! Haha!

I'm a big fan of Miyazaki's work. Princess Mononoke and Laputa are amazing. I recently looked into the Batman, Gotham Knight anime. The artist who did Ninja Scroll did one of the segments, so I just had to see it for myself.

I'm also a huge fan of Ghost in the Shell. Shirow Masamune has done some of my favorite science fiction works.

Blue Submarine No. 6 also impressed me very much.

I must admit I'm not fond of Giant Robot anime, even though I did enjoy Gundam Wing.

I also tend to prefer subtitles over dubs, since the native Japanese actors tend to convey better emotion and take the material more seriously, thus resulting in a higher-quality acting output. Sadly, I wish I could understand Japanese, so that I could enjoy material from the Dragon Earthquake Islands more readily and without filter or language barrier.

At any rate, Anime is like music to me; I can't stand most of it, but what I DO like, I like very, very much. A masterpiece is a masterpiece, and Anime offers some really good storytelling material.

Yay! I finally get to post on the first page of an anime thread!
I will happily be the first to mention Gundam.
I love Gundam. So much. You don't even know. I have 32 models. And I need more. So many more.
Currently the only anime I really watch is Zeta Gundam. It's good and everyone should watch it.
My favorite anime ever is Gundam 00. It is also good and everyone should watch it.
Also I hate dub with a passion. Sub FTW
I'm assuming it's okay to discuss manga here too. I read One Piece, and it is the funniest manga I've ever read (although the only other one I've actually read is Naruto and I've only read like 10 chapters of it).

I seem to have a habit of dropping series right before the final season episode. I dropped Hitsugi no Chaika, Mekkakucity Actors, and SAO II just before they ended.

I have a fondness for romcoms along the line of Niskeoi, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, and ToraDora. I'm trying to look for others like this. Any recommendations?

I really enjoyed Little Witch Academia. Such potential for just a ~30 minute anime.

On a somewhat related note, anyone else watch Demo-sempai?:dryadpassionate:

Last edited:
I watched every current episode of SAO and SAO II, watched all of Angel Beats and all of Another in one week. That is from having too many anime loving friends. And now I'm one of them!
I read the light novel for it and really enjoyed it, but only watched some of the anime. How's SAO II?

Not really anime. Yet, Avatar: The Last Airbender is my favorite.

Then there are some contenders. Naruto, Bleach, Soul Eater.

Right now, the only anime I'm watching is Sailor Moon Crystal.
Is Crystal really as much of a train wreck as it really is? Episode 3 apparently inspired suicidal thoughts for some.
I read the light novel for it and really enjoyed it, but only watched some of the anime. How's SAO II?
LN was definitely a much more enjoyable experience than anime. Kirito is a cold, soulless shell without internal monologue. SAO II is really just a reason to animate buttcrack and trap.

Yay! I finally get to post on the first page of an anime thread!
I will happily be the first to mention Gundam.
I love Gundam. So much. You don't even know. I have 32 models. And I need more. So many more.
Currently the only anime I really watch is Zeta Gundam. It's good and everyone should watch it.
My favorite anime ever is Gundam 00. It is also good and everyone should watch it.
Also I hate dub with a passion. Sub FTW
You got to be the first to mention Gundam in this thread, which is fair enough since I was first to mention it in general.

Anywho, I am also a big Gundam fan. I'm watched all of the TV series besides Wing, which I'm currently halfway through. And I've built 14 model kits, myself.

Other than that, I mainly watch comedy, mecha, and action stuff. Although I am stalling on watching anything currently.

Woo, first page.

I hate dub, as for favorites? Well, I've seen so many anime to list a favorite... I can list several anime that are very good, if I will later have the time..

LN was definitely a much more enjoyable experience than anime. Kirito is a cold, soulless shell without internal monologue. SAO II is really just a reason to animate buttcrack and trap.
That sucks, especially since the light novel was really good. I'm tempted to go back and watch II anyway, since I enjoyed gun gales storyline.

Not really anime. Yet, Avatar: The Last Airbender is my favorite.

Then there are some contenders. Naruto, Bleach, Soul Eater.
YES AVATAR!!! I'm so excited about book 4 of Korra! But season 3 of Korra was amazing.

Oh man, so many anime to chose from. My all time favorite is Code Geass hands down, but Kill la Kill has really clawed its way into my heart and strangely enough helped me through some very hard times. (Don't lose your way has practically become my life motto.)

I usually am not one to hate on characters types/tropes, but I REALLY hate when a character gets crippled by something, and then act like "I CANT DO ANY THING EVER AGAIN I AM WEAK" and then suddenly something magical/science happens that makes them all better and they can do stuff again. Thats why I like Ayase Shinomiya from Guilty Crown. She cant walk, dose she act like its the end of the world? NOPE she rocks out in a mech! But thats more of a pet peeve of mine I guess.

I also hate "Mr Perfect" characters. Not to be confused with "Plot armor", I get plot armor. Some characters are important to the plot and require it to allow the story to continue. Mr Perfect's are like Yusie from Yugioh 5Ds. He didn't lose a single game on camera, any time he WOULD lose, something happened to interrupt the match. He was flawless, Mr Goodguy, never lost his cool, and was all around a snoozefest of a character.

I think my "favorite' character is probably Blackstar from Souleater, now THATS a character who legitimately grows as the story goes on. He starts out an annoying little welp, and by the end of things hes learned enough about himself and others to actually be a great character. (Ive noticed in most anime, the side characters always tend to do that more then the main character.) I mean Look at Attack on Titan, an anime I love. The main character is so... Eh, but all the side cast are AWESOME!

So, since we've got a new anime season coming up soon, you guys got something you're waiting to watch?

As for me, it's Gundam Build Fighters Try, Gundam: Reconguista in G, Magic Kaito 1412, and maybe Kiseijuu. Also something with a long name I really don't feel like grabbing.

Yeah, my biggest pet peeve with Japanese media is stuff with really long names. Light Novels do it a lot, and so their anime adaptations do it too... It's a pain.

I'm quite interested in Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis (not associated with SnK). It looks pretty cool; I had a friend call it God Eater: the Anime.

Back
Top Bottom