Game Mechanics Ankh Shield pieces drops every 100 kills

Will it be a logical choice?

• NO, I DON'T WANT MY LUCK TO DISAPPEAR!

• Yes, it's a great idea!

Results are only viewable after voting.

RR

Eye of Cthulhu
We all know how farming for the Ankh Shield is annoying. making an example, on my world I killed around 1800 hornets and 2000 moss hornets to get a bezoar.

So I thought: Why don't make it a banner-like thing? Like, after 100, 150, 200 or 123 kills you get an Ankh Piece. This will allow you to have the Shield earlier, and stop menacing of death people that get it in 12 kills.
EDIT:
The thing I always proposed, is this:

We have a Tally Counter, right? We have a counter that counts how many mobs of a type that have been killed in the world, right? Why not do this:

Each Time a Mob with a Rare Drop is killed, you add X to its drop rate, until it has been killed, then this gets set to 0.

So, let's say we add 0.01 to the counter.

You start out with a 1% chance of, say, an Armor Polish dropping from a Blue Skeleton. You go kill a Blue Skeleton, your first. The drop rate on the second blue skeleton would thus be 1.01% chance.

50 blue skeletons later, you get your first banner. Now you have a 1.5% chance. 50 more, this is now 2%.

This means that you would max out at 9900 kills, that you are guaranteed to get your drop after.

Once an item has dropped, it gets set to 0 (the default 1%) and stays there. This could be done for all the Ankh Shield items, the Metal Detector (instead of 0.01, it should be, perhaps 5.00 per kill), and a select few other items.

This is just a better Idea.

Last edited:
While this might seem to make farming an Ankh Shield quicker, in fact it will on average increase the time it takes to farm all components.

You need to look at it this way: every Ankh Charm component has a 1% chance to drop. So after 100 kills, the chance of not having gotten any component (<1) is 0.99 ^ 100 = ~0.366. This means that in theory, 63 out of 100 people (the majority) will get at least one Ankh Charm component within 100 kills. So if you install a hard cap, you're actually delaying the component drop for the majority of players. Considering there are nine components that rely on this mechanism, the current system benefits many more people (and is more exciting) than a hard cap system would.

Last edited:
Ah. So mine was just bad luck?
Yes, getting only one Bezoar in 3800 kills is extremely unlucky, but on average, the current system is more advantageous.

As with any chance based system, there will be unlucky streaks. You just happened to get one, unfortunately. ;)

I support this idea...but...with one TINY exception. I think both methods should be available for people who want to get the Ankh Shield. If you're extremely lucky with killing, you'll get it early because of an enemy drop but if you have bad luck we can use your method and once we hit 100 kills on hornets for example, we'll get the bezoar or whatever Ankh Shield item you get depending on the enemy killed.

We have a Tally Counter, right? We have a counter that counts how many mobs of a type that have been killed in the world, right? Why not do this:

Each Time a Mob with a Rare Drop is killed, you add X to its drop rate, until it has been killed, then this gets set to 0.

You start out with a 1% chance of, say, an Armor Polish dropping from a Blue Skeleton. You go kill a Blue Skeleton, your first. The drop rate on the second blue skeleton would thus be 1.01% chance.

50 blue skeletons later, you get your first banner. Now you have a 1.5% chance. 50 more, this is now 2%.

This means that you would max out at 9900 kills, that you are guaranteed to get your drop after.

Once an item has dropped, it gets set to 0 (the default 1%) and stays there. This could be done for all the Ankh Shield items, the Metal Detector (instead of 0.01, it should be, perhaps 5.00 per kill), and a select few other items.

Oh. That's intelligent.

Woah, I love that idea more than mine! I agree with you 100%, this would be a way better system!

Did you make a suggestion? I'd like to just cancel mine if so

@RR : Not officially, no.

I've made a suggestion very close to this a long, long time ago and it was kinda made clear to me that they aren't interested in doing something like this, so I don't really bother. No need to retract yours, and if you wanted to submit this suggestion in my stead, I wouldn't say no. I don't really care about receiving credit or anything; I just want to see a better Terraria.

The Ankh Shield drops and the Angler's Quests are two of very few beefs I have with the game, so if they ever got improved, that would be awesome. Don't care who suggests it or takes credit for said suggestions lol.

Back
Top Bottom