Important ANNOUNCEMENT: Modding Rule Update 2018/08/06

I'm definitely not adding this to my mod, because there will probably be a rush of mods adding in the exact same thing, so in a mod pack you would have 20 recipes for the same thing.

All of the Unobtainable Items for no reason

Last edited:
That's a console-only item, so it's still banned

This is correct. Console/Mobile exclusives are not wholly the property of Relogic due to the involvement of 505 Games in that content. As such, we can't freely grant use of them for modding.

In light of this, its rather curious that the Mysterious Package is specifically listed in the OP, since this item would not be allowed anyway as a Mobile item. I'll discuss with Jeckel about clarifying that element.

This is correct. Console/Mobile exclusives are not wholly the property of Relogic due to the involvement of 505 Games in that content. As such, we can't freely grant use of them for modding.

In light of this, its rather curious that the Mysterious Package is specifically listed in the OP, since this item would not be allowed anyway as a Mobile item. I'll discuss with Jeckel about clarifying that element.
The Package is one of the 6 that aren't allowed

i'm really glad i seen this thread because i was just about to add the sharanga into my mod... that would have been a problem.

why is this rule there anyway?

Why are the six items listed in the thread's opening post restricted from being implemented by mods? The first four items were, according to the wiki, removed from the game because of possible copyright conflict with the third-party games they were imitating. Because of that they could cause similar issues if implemented by mods. The last two items are console/mobile exclusive items and as such, again, could cause copyright/legal issues with the companies that have licensed Terraria for porting to those platforms if they were implemented in mods.

So, the short answer is legal issues.

quick question, does adding in key molds that arent the original vanilla ones (like different textures, or just a universal mold for making any biome key) allowed, or is that still considered adding removed items?

quick question, does adding in key molds that arent the original vanilla ones (like different textures, or just a universal mold for making any biome key) allowed, or is that still considered adding removed items?

As long as you don't use the sprites of the removed key molds, it should be fine.

Question about the rule about the key molds... I get that they're registered as console content and for legal reasons cannot be added... But didn't they use to exist in the PC version of Terraria? Was curious as to why this would cause legal problems... If they were in the PC version, then wouldn't Re-Logic still have rights to use them, and therefore could be added? Or did they sell the rights to the key molds? I'm not asking because I want to add them, I'm just curious because of the reasons stated above regarding the rule against porting console content.

Question about the rule about the key molds... I get that they're registered as console content and for legal reasons cannot be added... But didn't they use to exist in the PC version of Terraria? Was curious as to why this would cause legal problems... If they were in the PC version, then wouldn't Re-Logic still have rights to use them, and therefore could be added? Or did they sell the rights to the key molds? I'm not asking because I want to add them, I'm just curious because of the reasons stated above regarding the rule against porting console content.
They aren't allowed to be re-implemented because they fall under removed content

I am not entirely certain and have only relayed the new rules as they were handed down from those upstairs. I will inquire for some clarification on this issue, but it may take some time to get a response as the devs are busy with the new update and such.

I am not entirely certain and have only relayed the new rules as they were handed down from those upstairs. I will inquire for some clarification on this issue, but it may take some time to get a response as the devs are busy with the new update and such.
No worries, I'm just curious. If they were allowed, my creative mind could think of many uses for them. But I will respect whatever decisions the developers make regarding these items. :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can mod creators use the unused sprites for the Luminite Tools, or would a mod creator have to make their own sprite?

Back
Top Bottom