Important ANNOUNCEMENT: Modding Rule Update 2018/08/06

Does this mean that I can release a mini texture pack that uses the unimplemented sunflowers shown off in the 1.3 trailer?

This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask it.
Is it allowed to use variations of ingame sprites in mods? I'm currently making a mod that uses (among other things) recolored versions of the "Endless Quiver" and "Endless Musket Pouch" sprites. Examples:
EndlessLuminiteQuiver.png
EndlessCursedPouch.png

This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask it.
Is it allowed to use variations of ingame sprites in mods? I'm currently making a mod that uses (among other things) recolored versions of the "Endless Quiver" and "Endless Musket Pouch" sprites. Examples:View attachment 192574 View attachment 192575
There's no rule against re-sprites: even the dev team re-sprites things. Example:
Copper_Broadsword.png
Iron_Broadsword.png

Copper and Iron broadswords share the same sprite with a different palette. Same with ore bars, they all look the same but with swapped palettes. Any mod that has a bar will use the vanilla Terraria bars as a base. Example:
Orichalcum_Bar.png
Aquaite_Bar.png

Above is the Orichalcum Bar (vanilla) compared to an Aquite Bar (from Thorium). I don't think Thorium would be so popular if it broke the rules :)

There's no rule against re-sprites: even the dev team re-sprites things. Example:
View attachment 192579 View attachment 192580
Copper and Iron broadswords share the same sprite with a different palette. Same with ore bars, they all look the same but with swapped palettes. Any mod that has a bar will use the vanilla Terraria bars as a base. Example:
View attachment 192584 View attachment 192583
Above is the Orichalcum Bar (vanilla) compared to an Aquite Bar (from Thorium). I don't think Thorium would be so popular if it broke the rules :)
Thank you for the clarification.

View attachment 192579 View attachment 192580
View attachment 192584 View attachment 192583

Thought I posted that for a sec....

Does this still include the White Cultist Archer, the White Cultist Fighter, and the White Cultist Fighter NPC and Banners?

[QUOTE="Jeckel, post: 1230845, member: 53"This means that the number of items that are not allowed to be implemented in mods (in addition to the restriction on porting console and mobile exclusive content) is reduced to only six: the Icemourne, the Scythe, the Soul Scythe, the Zapinator, the Mysterious Package, and the Biome Key Molds.[/QUOTE]
When you said you still can't add Biome Key Molds, I thought "who would want those in a mod, they were the worst back when I played
WII U," because you coud only open a chest if you had a temple key, which meant that you had to find another friggin Plantera Bulb in my half-corrupted jungle, then kill Plantera and then you need somewhere around 20 souls from the prime bosses, which I didn't most of the time, so I had to kill those buckets-of-bolts again and then I had to farm for the key mold itself which is a pain because I have to load up a new world because I want the Vampire's Knives and hope that it' a Crimson world it takes friggin forever, I hated it so I perked up once I read on the wiki that biome keys drop in console and desktop because by then I was playing on Xbox One and after the update that made Xbox one like PC.

is it okay if i create a new item with the "Icemourne" sprite but DIFFERENT id,name,tooltip,and shoot projectile? i just really weak at sprites.

Update 2018/08/06

There has been a change to the Player-Created Game Enhancements: Rules & Guidelines whereby the restriction on porting console and mobile exclusive content has been removed.

There has been no change to the rules regarding removed items. The restriction on porting removed content is still in effect (the Icemourne, the Scythe, the Soul Scythe, the Zapinator, the Mysterious Package, and the Biome Key Molds).
Time to sit back and watch the race to add Ocram first unfold.

is it okay if i create a new item with the "Icemourne" sprite but DIFFERENT id,name,tooltip,and shoot projectile? i just really weak at sprites.
No. Using the Icemourne sprite is not permitted. You would need to create your own original sprite.

Why is there a restriction on biome key-molds? I don't see anything wrong with those items, it's not as if they have a copy-right attached to them, or are similar to something that is copy-righted by another company, unless I am mistaken.

Another question: In the 1.3 trailer (that Yrimir created in 2015), there was an unused golden sunflower sprite shown off. Could this sprite be used in a texture pack, or mod?

Why is there a restriction on biome key-molds? I don't see anything wrong with those items, it's not as if they have a copy-right attached to them, or are similar to something that is copy-righted by another company, unless I am mistaken.

Another question: In the 1.3 trailer (that Yrimir created in 2015), there was an unused golden sunflower sprite shown off. Could this sprite be used in a texture pack, or mod?
I and other people asked about that some time ago, you can even see the talking about it on the page 2~3, but ended up that not even the moderators has idea on why they are restricted.

Back
Top Bottom