Important ANNOUNCEMENT: Modding Rule Update 2018/08/06

Jeckel

Terrarian
Update 2018/08/06
There has been a change to the Player-Created Game Enhancements: Rules & Guidelines whereby the restriction on porting console and mobile exclusive content has been removed.

There has been no change to the rules regarding removed items as detailed below. The restriction on porting removed content is still in effect (the Icemourne, the Scythe, the Soul Scythe, the Zapinator, the Mysterious Package, and the Biome Key Molds).

Update 2017/02/27
Hello, Terrarian Modders!

Today I am happy to announce that there has been a change to the rules that govern Terraria modding. For some time now, it has been against the rules for mods to implement any of the unobtainable items. However, after some recent discussion between the staff and the developers, it was decided that the time has come to limit this restriction to only those items termed 'Removed Items' which are listed under the Removed Items section of the Unobtainable Items wiki page. This means that the number of items that are not allowed to be implemented in mods (in addition to the restriction on porting console and mobile exclusive content) is reduced to only six: the Icemourne, the Scythe, the Soul Scythe, the Zapinator, the Mysterious Package, and the Biome Key Molds.

I am very happy about this change and think that at least a few modders will share my excitement. If there are any questions or comments about this update to the modding rules, please feel free to share them in this thread and, as always, happy modding to all. :)

EDIT: Two clarifications:
  1. The rule against porting Console/Mobile exclusive content is not affected in any way by this change and that rule is still fully in effect.
  2. The Mysterious Package and Biome Key Molds are considered Console/Mobile exclusive content, but since they are listed under Removed Items section of the Unobtainable Items wiki page, I have listed them above for the sake of completeness.
I hope that clears up any confusion that the opening text of this announcement may have caused. The exact rules are covered much more clearly in the Modding Rules themselves and I suggest that all modders read said rules thread for exactly what is and is not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this new rule made because the Tremor Mod includes the Celestial Powered tools and the Jungle Mimic?

Not specifically. The long and short is that over that past couple months there have been several inquiries about exactly what this rule covered besides the items listed on the wiki page and as we looked there were a few mods that, I assume unintentionally, could be considered to be violating this rule to a greater or lesser extent. As the issue was discussed with the developers in an effort to draw clearer lines, it was decided that there really didn't seem to be any pressing need for this rule now that the developer exclusive content is obtainable in the game and the only ones that truly needed to be restricted were the six that were removed. The first four because they could cause 3rd party copyright issues (according to the wiki) and the latter two because they are considered console/mobile exclusive content which falls under the rule against porting such content.

unless this doesn't apply to enemies

Currently, the only content that can't be implemented in a mod is console/mobile exclusive content and the six items listed in the first post of this thread. Everything else is fair game. If things change and other items are added to the restricted list, then I will announce that change and let everyone know. :)

Not very keen on this, to be honest.

Any particular reason you'd care to share?

Any particular reason you'd care to share?

I just don't think its a good idea. I mean, they were restricted for a reason. Why change it now? Just doesn't make sense to randomly say "It's OK now!"

I just feel it will reduce the uniqueness in newer mods since a lot will just add these items into their mods lazily.

I just don't think its a good idea. I mean, they were restricted for a reason. Why change it now? Just doesn't make sense to randomly say "It's OK now!"

The change wasn't really random, though I understand it does seem to come out of the blue. I can't speak to the developer's reasons for specifically why they didn't want these items implemented, though I've made educated guesses over the years. However, for what ever reason, they don't see the restrictions as being as necessary as they used to be. As I said in my previous post, I believe the restriction at least in part had something to do with not wanting the developer armor and items being implemented back before they were obtainable in-game and now that isn't an issue, but that is just my guessing.

Bottom line, the reason they were restricted before is because the devs wanted them restricted and now they aren't restricted because the devs don't think they need to be.

I just feel it will reduce the uniqueness in newer mods since a lot will just add these items into their mods lazily.

That I can fully understand and when the decision was made my first thought was similar, "Oh boy, I bet there are going to be quite a few mods popping up that just implement these items because now they can." But such is the way of the modding world, everyone wants to create and low hanging fruit is going to be picked. There will probably be a rush on this content, but in the long run that will die down and I think this will end up being a good change overall. :)

Nice! idk if this somehow benefits me, but it surely benefits most modders out there! thx for the announcement ^-^

Was this new rule made because the Tremor Mod includes the Celestial Powered tools and the Jungle Mimic?
This decision has probably been made since it has been an ongoing discussion in the terraria tmodloader discord server, the tml team and I have discussed it thoroughly with yorai as well, or rather, he just instantly sent the feedback to the TCF team. I'm glad this decision was made. It gives modders more freedom and less strain on them. The rules are less restrictive, and besides: even keeping the rules in place or adding to them, it's still hard to actually enforce them.

So I finally get to have a mod with Celestial hammers?

So this means I may get my hands on these beauties?

Solar_Flare_Chainsaw.png
Solar_Flare_Drill.png
Solar_Flare_Axe.png
Solar_Flare_Hammer.png
Nebula_Chainsaw.png
Nebula_Drill.png
Nebula_Axe.png
Nebula_Hammer.png
Vortex_Chainsaw.png
Vortex_Drill.png
Vortex_Axe.png
Vortex_Hammer.png
Stardust_Chainsaw.png
Stardust_Drill.png
Stardust_Axe.png
Stardust_Hammer.png

This will surely make several people really happy.

And please, to anyone who's modding, make this happen!

Ninja'd by Milt
Since both of you asked for it, I created a separate mod that adds new recipes to the game that makes these tools obtainable. It's all the mod does, so it can be used with pretty much any mod
Enjoy.

You'll always have that, sadly. But, sometimes it helps people to "do that", then branch out from there. Some people (especially teens) need an example to go by, and piece by piece change something into their own work.

I'm not excited with a flood of those types of mods that just "make available the unavailable", but I have hope it's more good than bad.

You'll always have that, sadly. But, sometimes it helps people to "do that", then branch out from there. Some people (especially teens) need an example to go by, and piece by piece change something into their own work.

I'm not excited with a flood of those types of mods that just "make available the unavailable", but I have hope it's more good than bad.
I really like that new Light Yagami profile pic of yours :3

Hello, Terrarian Modders!

Today I am happy to announce that there has been a change to the rules that govern Terraria modding. For some time now, it has been against the rules for mods to implement any of the unobtainable items. However, after some recent discussion between the staff and the developers, it was decided that the time has come to limit this restriction to only those items termed 'Removed Items' which are listed under the Removed Items section of the Unobtainable Items wiki page. This means that the number of items that are not allowed to be implemented in mods (in addition to the restriction on porting console and mobile exclusive content) is reduced to only six: the Icemourne, the Scythe, the Soul Scythe, the Zapinator, the Mysterious Package, and the Biome Key Molds.

I am very happy about this change and think that at least a few modders will share my excitement. If there are any questions or comments about this update to the modding rules, please feel free to share them in this thread and, as always, happy modding to all. :)

It is not so worthy, cause remembering those are only tools.

Back
Top Bottom