Important ANNOUNCEMENT: Modding Rule Update 2018/08/06

How much specifically are we allowed to use? Are we allowed to use the sprites from console/mobile? Does the content removed from the console version, but not the mobile, count as removed content?
Yes, sprites are fine.

Removed content (the Icemourne, the Scythe, the Soul Scythe, the Zapinator, the Mysterious Package, and the Biome Key Molds) cannot be implemented. Content that was in console and is no longer in current gen console, but that may be in mobile or last gen consoles is not considered removed content unless it was listed above.

Question: Why was this a problem in the first place?
In my theory, a few removed items are due to copyright issues, like Icemourne being a reference to a Warcraft series weapon, and the Zapinator being a reference to the old NES acessory (Zapper), which actually is only acquireable on the Nintendo console version of Terraria.
Now for the Console/Mobile content, I believe It's because they were unique contents of those versions, not initially intended to be launched on pc either by the developers of by modders, only acquireable by those who have the console/mobile version of it, until the latest Terraria ports change which made all Terraria versions have the same content.

I may be wrong, but at least I guess that is it.

I kind of have to ask this but... Is there any problem if I make use of a DD2 event sound on my mod?
I currently made a creature use the Kobold's hurt sound, but since the DD2 is a crossover event, maybe the sound could have came from DD2? And maybe there's some trouble If I use it?
I actually have no idea if It's ok to make use of the sound for my mod or not.

I kind of have to ask this but... Is there any problem if I make use of a DD2 event sound on my mod?
I currently made a creature use the Kobold's hurt sound, but since the DD2 is a crossover event, maybe the sound could have came from DD2? And maybe there's some trouble If I use it?
I actually have no idea if It's ok to make use of the sound for my mod or not.
It’s fine. Your mod would not be taken down from TCF for using a sound that’s already in the game.

I'd like clarification on this, as it doesn't really make that much sense. TModloader allows for incredibly easy recipe creation / modification, and it's not hard to implement something that does the exact same thing as the biome key molds with a different name and sprite. Is that allowed? Does the rule only apply to direct copies of said removed items?

I'd like clarification on this, as it doesn't really make that much sense. TModloader allows for incredibly easy recipe creation / modification, and it's not hard to implement something that does the exact same thing as the biome key molds with a different name and sprite. Is that allowed? Does the rule only apply to direct copies of said removed items?
Yes, the rule only applies to direct copies of the removed items. If you make your own item with a completely new sprite and it does the same thing as a removed item, that’s fine.

I got to ask, are the other unused present sprites banned too? Those sprites that are seen here? Presents
They are on the 3DS version of Terraria (for some reason) only, beside was on pc version before removal.
So, does the rule apply about using the sprites to it too?

I got to ask, are the other unused present sprites banned too? Those sprites that are seen here? Presents
They are on the 3DS version of Terraria (for some reason) only, beside was on pc version before removal.
So, does the rule apply about using the sprites to it too?
Those should be fine to use.
3DS is basically v1.2.0-level compared to PC, that is likely why only that platform has those sprites.

Back
Top Bottom