There has been a change to the Important - Player-Created Game Enhancements: Rules & Guidelines detailing a new rule regarding updating abandoned mods. The new rule can be read below:
- Do not use content from another mod, or that you do not have the right to, unless the mod is an update to a previously abandoned mod, and it meets the below requirements:
- Updating may only take place if the creator cannot be contacted at all, and has been offline from the forums for more than one year. For mods developed by a team, it must not be possible to reach any member of the team.
- No changes are allowed to be made to the mod, other than what is needed to update it to the latest version of tModloader and/or Terraria. Changes include modifications, balance changes, additions and removals.
- The updated mod's name needs to be the same as the original (minor changes to indicate the new version are permitted, for example adding "Updated" as a suffix). Where possible, the new name should also include the original author's name.
- It must be made extremely clear in the mod thread and description that this is simply an update, and credit to the original mod creator and a link to original mod thread must be given and must be displayed prominently.
- None of the original mod assets can be used for anything other than the mod (don't incorporate the abandoned mod's assets into your own).
- The updated version will be removed if at any time the original mod creator notifies us that they wish for it to be removed.