[Announcement] Steam Group Chat, Terraria Olympics and Miscellaneous

Please read the announcement post first, then comment below and/or quickly tick a few options:

• Steam group - Good idea, I plan to use the chat!

• Steam group - Great, but I need a different platform to join in...

• Customized title prefixes - needed!

• Customized title prefixes - nah, we're fine.

• Group Guidelines - I've read and agree.

• Group Guidelines - What?/No thanks!

• Forum Search - Works fine for me!

• Forum Search - Yeah, it's really problematic for me...

• Terraria Olympics - Woo! Where do I sign up to enter (one or more events)?!

Results are only viewable after voting.

ZeroGravitas

The Destroyer
First off, another welcome to new members!:happy:This time still pouring in following the 1.3.1 update. The group is looking fat with a healthy stream of new posts being made. I'm actually a little glad the initial deluge has receded slightly, although there's still so much to look at each day (sorry I've not managed to get around it all). Keep the good stuff coming.:)

Stream Group!

Secondly, I previously floated the idea (in the social thread following on from the front page T-MEC feature) of opening up a T-MEC Steam group. It's nothing fancy, but I've finally gone and done it now: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/T-MEC
guJptqQ.png

Group is public, so you can each join quickly and easily. To chat, you need to open the group chat window, and leave it up. It means having a Steam account with the client running on PC or the mobile app (no web interface, that I'm aware of). I know this won't include everyone here, but I expect most players to have an account for playing Terraria, so I feel this platform is an easy first choice for taking a first punt at instant messaging chat.

Also, some members have been keen to connect with other T-MEC-ers in multi-player to show, tell, get help, etc, so I thought offering up this group setting might help with that. Please don't expect anyone in the group to automatically connect with you as friends and play with you, but the group chat, of forum board there, would seem like a good bet for finding others who are interested and able. On rare occasions the group could be used to make (reminder) announcements and in conjunction with meeting up for some (hypothetical) special events.

Suggestions about this group can be made below, or over there on this discussion thread. I'm still not ruling out Slack or Dischord, especially if there are a lot of people who'd need a web interface, or would be much better served by that (let me know below, if so). But since I'm still aiming to keep any discussion that can reasonably be conducted on the forum, in the forum. I'm not looking for a superior system, just an adequate one (for now). If this forum group system had built-in scrolling IM, that would have done me.:)

I may leave my group chat window open for a while over this weekend, just in case anyone fancies saying a quick "hello", but in general I tend to hide away (due to being very easily distracted and overwhelmed). Maybe we should pencil in recurring meet-up days/times, for pure social and/or for a casual 'drop in surgery' - minor questions and help/directions on using the forum itself. A small team might be assembled and listed for that, as with the updated forums question thread, here. In the case things actually hot up in general, I might then appreciate responsible enthusiast(s) in the role of moderator to keep an eye on things and report any problems.

Front Page Tweaks

I've just had a bit of a quick fiddle with the header on the groups main page:
  • Replaced the animated logo letters with the half sized versions - the "C" was often wrapping to the next lime for me, with browser not full screen. Don't know if that was an issue for lots of others? Many use the forum on a small or mobile screen? At almost 5MB of animated image goodness, I also worried a little about page load time, too, although the 740 user avatars down the side are probably more of an issue now!:confused::DIf there's significant backlash against this change I will revert.:)
  • Added a link the the Steam group.
  • Tidied up.
  • Added a link to a pre-made Google search that will hopefully be more fruitful than the built in forum search (see top right of page). That has numerous major blind spots and total failings when it comes to looking for material in a social group.
  • Any other obvious links I should add...?
  • Edit: moved banner pictures inside the spoiler bubble for slicker layout and to save page space.
Organizing Information:

I've already talked to @Loki and @Skiphs a little about the search problems, but I don't want to pile on too much pressure, as I know this 'Xenforo' forum implementation has tricky issues with these groups, in particular, that even prevented them from upgrading the system a couple months back.

In terms of organising information, I also asked about the possibility of getting customized thread title prefixes, some that might actually differentiate a little more than tagging everything as just "PC" (currently). Lol.
tLEcWWy.png

No idea if this is even possible, let alone admissible. Also, I'm not sure what entries we would want, exactly... I mean, I've listed half a dozen suggested labels for posters to add manually to their titles, here in the Guidelines thread:
[Showcase] - A statement of your work, implicitly inviting friendly critique.

[Question] - For soliciting help on a specific topic. Try to be as specific and details as possible about what you have and what you want to know.

[Tutorial], [Guide] - dispensed advice, coming from a position of topical experience (and possibly general expertise).

[Project] - When you are inviting group participation, or you have a continually updated work in progress. First post is likely to be updated as work progressed, to present a summary of findings/contributions in entire thread.

[Challenge] - Lay down the gauntlet for other members, create an imaginative challenge, or simple say "beat this!" achievement.

[Social] - Somewhat off-topic (though vaguely relevant) talk or chat between members - meta. Possibly arranging in-game meetups or something, who knows. Hopefully not tooo many threads of this type cluttering the place.

[Personal Profile], {Personal Profile} - These have faded from use since the very early days, but you are still welcome to create one for yourself. Use it post a little bit of information about yourself and why you like these aspects of the game. Others might come in and say "hi" or ask what you're up to.

An ideal place to make a link reference repository to all your builds and threads. Or just publish builds you are proud of but (for whatever reason) don't think are worthy of a whole thread to themselves.
Not meant to be a definitive list, or an absolute requirement, of course. And incidentally, I did go through and revise those guidelines (aka group 'rules') somewhat, the other day, so if you've never taken a look, now is a fair time to have a quick scan through: Guidelines and Suggestions.

Nothing too exciting there, but feel free to add any of your own, considered thoughts to the thread (or below, here). Also, I added a little information about making and posting animated Gifs, there, since they are so darn useful to demonstrate what's going on with contraptions, they are sometimes virtually essential! If anyone feels like making a quick video (or very quick animation, heh;)) walking through how this is done, I'd be happy to add that in there too (or just post it yourself).:)

But anyway, I know that finding information within the group can be a little tough, and there's been more than ever being created, so I think all here would greatly appreciate keeping things a well laid out as possible, titled descriptively (including key words), linked up with URL references and illustrated as far as possible.:) I've recently added a dozen links to my guides and notable T-MEC threads in a spoiler in my forum signature, to help me find things fast, let alone others. I suggest those with a few resources to their name might do similar, or link to a "profile" thread, with an index there, or just random builds posted as a when (as others do in the decorative builds section of the forum).

Terraria Olympics!

965.jpg

What is this?! Well, it's @Baih's grand plan to bring the whole Terraria community together; virtually a month of competitive events (August 5th - 21st) being kicked off daily, with teams of players entering from each of the many disparate groups scattered around the internet and game servers. A one of a kind extravaganza, to be steamed streamed live, recorded and generally just enjoyed.

It's currently still in the organizational phase, with a brand new social group set up to explain everything in great detail, including a list of all the planned events, and general plan in this thread. Please tell me if I've butchered the retelling of your brainchild here, Baih, and feel free to add any additional info, below. :)

Anyway, I thought this sounds like an amazing idea and it would be very cool if there were a "Team T-MEC" in the running. Setting ambitions to modest, I think it would be great to just to represent our group and take part, although there is even a "Mechanical" building event scheduled...:cool:

I thought that if I got in fairly quick with this announcement, then that would give us the best chance of tapping the best talent, while giving a good amount of notice. I'm definitely looking for others to take the lead on this thing. I'm absolutely willing to help make things happen, as best I'm able, but often find myself over-extended, already, with the little that I do. (I also suck at all the events, heh.;)) So if there are multiple suckers brave volunteers wanting to commit to organising a team, I'm sure we could have a mini-election, or just agree to share various responsibilities between yourselves, start up a thread for it, etc. Quite possibly this is a chance for some of you quieter members to step into the limelight, too.:)

Anyway, this little post turned into more of a broadsheet news report, so thank you for reading through!:)

Last edited:
Boy, I do like my Terraria steamed live!
(typo in the 1st paragraph, 2nd line, Olympics segment)

Hmm. To play for T-Mec or OdysseyPvP.
Wait. I don't have a choice. I'm one of the few hosts on Odyssey...

The link titled "in this thread" in the Olympics section leads to an error page. All these ideas are great though! Excited to hear more information on the Olympics! I would be very well inclined to offer myself to aid T-MEC with this event.

Sorry, but is it supposed to say, "Stream Group!" at the start? It looks like it should be, "Steam Group!"

Back
Top Bottom