Game Mechanics Another way to solve the accessory quick-equip problem

ManaUser

Brain of Cthulhu
I know some people have an almost religious objection to using the social slots as storage for alternate accessories (despite the fact that everyone does it). But this thread isn't about that. This is about another way to solve the problem.

First: The problem. When you right-click an accessory to equip it, you can't control which accessory it replaces. It replaces them in a predetermined order, top-to-bottom, except it seems to reset when you log out. So except for the special case of replacing all five accessories at once this will inevitably result in everything getting jumbled up if used repeatedly.

So here's my idea: Unless you have a free accessory slot, when you right-click an accessory it replaces the accessory matching the row in your inventory that it came from. Row 1 of the inventory is the hotbar, so you probably won't be storing accessories there, but that's okay because chances are there's at least one accessory you keep equipped almost all the time—shield,  horseshoe, wings, whatever you consider most important—so just put that in your top slot. The remaining four slots would also correspond to the rows in containers, in case you like to keep special-purpose accessories in your safe or pig. And 6th slot from expert mode would also be inaccessibly this way, but again you can just keep something you won't often replace there.

Here's a quick illustration:
accrep.jpg

I'm sure some people will dislike that this imposes an arbitrary restriction on how you organize your inventory. But as I see it, if you choose not to use it you'd be no worse off since the the current behavior is almost totally useless.

I like this idea but to improve upon it, I think that it should work the same as it does BUT with the added feature of when you are holding a number (1-7) it will equip an accessory to that respective slot. That way, the people who have grown accustomed to the old way can still do their thing but if people want to utilise this more powerful tool, they can

I'm unsure this is needed as the original intent for it is no longer an issue.
Well, it's still infinitely better than what we ended up with. What we ended up with was basically the equivalent of amputating someone's arm to cure their carpal-tunnel syndrome.

To fit the expert/master accessory slots, I think it would be best to use the columns instead of rows; dipping into the piggy bank just to right-click an accessory is really inconvenient and I'm pretty sure zero people would do it.

Back
Top Bottom