Anyone interested in Pokemon hacked roms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Side quests/side stories based around the legendaries seems like a nice way to add them. Other side quests might actually have rewards for completing, making the game actually seem more like an rpg
Just in case you didn't see my edit:
If you're willing to go through with this hack, I'd love to help you think of some content or balancing. I don't want credit I just really want to see something like this done!

I'd also be happy to help with side quests if you make them. If you don't make this hack, then I will :dryadgrin:

Just in case you didn't see my edit:
If you're willing to go through with this hack, I'd love to help you think of some content or balancing. I don't want credit I just really want to see something like this done!

I'd also be happy to help with side quests if you make them. If you don't make this hack, then I will :dryadgrin:
Problem with having help is I don't know how we would try work together because we would constantly have to be uploading the rom and working at different times on different things because you can't just merge changes as far as I know

If you thought up stuff that I could add, that would be the easiest way of helping. Side quests and whatnot.

Problem with having help is I don't know how we would try work together because we would constantly have to be uploading the rom and working at different times on different things because you can't just merge changes as far as I know
Steam for communication and Dropbox for sharing the thing? I mean it's alright if you don't need help, I'm just saying I'd like to :dryadhappy:

Steam for communication and Dropbox for sharing the thing? I mean it's alright if you don't need help, I'm just saying I'd like to :dryadhappy:
Communication wouldn't be an issue regardless, I'm speaking more about the hack and how we would work together as it's one file and we can't merge changes easily, so we would have to be working on it at different times and then uploading it each time we get something completed. It's a pain for something like this. Ideas for sidequests and other things would be helpful, just means I spend less time thinking of things that fit in.

Communication wouldn't be an issue regardless, I'm speaking more about the hack and how we would work together as it's one file and we can't merge changes easily, so we would have to be working on it at different times and then uploading it each time we get something completed. It's a pain for something like this. Ideas for sidequests and other things would be helpful, just means I spend less time thinking of things that fit in.
Yes, I see what you mean. I could probably help around with some stuff but if you know that you don't want to work on it I could just put something together in advance map before you do something again. But I'm getting ahead of myself, are you going to make this hack and if you are can I in someway help out? :dryadwink:

Yes, I see what you mean. I could probably help around with some stuff but if you know that you don't want to work on it I could just put something together in advance map before you do something again. But I'm getting ahead of myself, are you going to make this hack and if you are can I in someway help out? :dryadwink:
We'll see a little further into development, right now it's mostly planning. Yes I am going to make this hack. If I don't end up completing it fully i will release the unfinished work stating everything that has been changed and allowing whoever to take off from there.

We'll see a little further into development, right now it's mostly planning. Yes I am going to make this hack. If I don't end up completing it fully i will release the unfinished work stating everything that has been changed and allowing whoever to take off from there.
Alright, well I'll be happy to give you suggestions if you ever need any! Rn I'm going to play some Pokemon, you made me want to :dryadtongue:

Thought popped into my head; some people may dislike the all shiny legendary theme I'm going to have going on. Should this be optional, such as each quest for the legendaries asks "did you see that shiny beast, [Pokemon Name]" or should it just be all shinies, no exceptions?

All shiny legends certainly may throw some people off, unless given a choice.

But mmm, it's been so long since I last played an actual rom hack. The Gold and Silver FR/ LG remakes were pretty nice, as well as the game enchanting/ trade evolution removal/ all pokemon available in-game hacks of the DS gen.
As far as I remember from rom hacking, the possibilities were rather limited compared to those of Pokemon Essentials fangames though.
Speaking of which, I have quite a few of those lying around, and personally I enjoyed them far more than simple rom hacks.

For the game to shine through the rest as a rom hack, quite a lot would have to be done. I'd rather recommend considering Essentials, as I've seen people do similar things in their fangames to what you wish to go for. Like Godra for example, two starting towns based on choices, possible career choices, starter pokemon determined by a little "test", and as far as I remember, advancing didn't require you being stuck in one tiny area 'till a gym is beaten, but I might be wrong on that one.
One of the fangames even offered to play pre-made challenger modes like Nuzlocke, etc, if the player wishes so, and that was a really nice little add-on.
All in all, being a script package to RPG maker, it in general offers more possibilities to branch out for a truly unique pokemon fangame.

All shiny legends certainly may throw some people off, unless given a choice.

But mmm, it's been so long since I last played an actual rom hack. The Gold and Silver FR/ LG remakes were pretty nice, as well as the game enchanting/ trade evolution removal/ all pokemon available in-game hacks of the DS gen.
As far as I remember from rom hacking, the possibilities were rather limited compared to those of Pokemon Essentials fangames though.
Speaking of which, I have quite a few of those lying around, and personally I enjoyed them far more than simple rom hacks.

For the game to shine through the rest as a rom hack, quite a lot would have to be done. I'd rather recommend considering Essentials, as I've seen people do similar things in their fangames to what you wish to go for. Like Godra for example, two starting towns based on choices, possible career choices, starter pokemon determined by a little "test", and as far as I remember, advancing didn't require you being stuck in one tiny area 'till a gym is beaten, but I might be wrong on that one.
One of the fangames even offered to play pre-made challenger modes like Nuzlocke, etc, if the player wishes so, and that was a really nice little add-on.
All in all, being a script package to RPG maker, it in general offers more possibilities to branch out for a truly unique pokemon fangame.
While that is a nice idea, I think I'm going to stick with the one that I'm accustomed to for now. There is a bit that can be done with rom hacking, and until I've explored it in full, I will not be doing something else pokemon related. At some point down the line you may see a fan game from me, but that could be a long way away.

Rom Hacking is pretty powerful. Plus it can be played on the actual hardware. Essentials is kind of awkward (there are a lot of options of making the game, but not a lot of options displaying them on a large monitor :dryadmad:) and iirc only works on PC. There are some pretty amazing rom hacks for Pokemon I've seen.

Sorry, but this isn't a hacker site.

Even though you're not talking about Re-Logic games, this isn't the sort of thing that we want this forum to be known for. There are plenty of other places on the interwebs to find interest in this topic, I suggest that you find then to continue your discussion.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom