Anyone interested in Pokemon hacked roms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan

Skeletron
I've been tinkering around with the idea of creating a hacked rom with alterations to the game, possibly making it more difficult, while also more rewarding.

Things I would like to alter may include:
  • All legendaries spawn shiny, or are shiny after the pokemon league has been defeated (The second rewards players for not catching the legendaries before the pokemon league)
  • All pokemon are able to be obtained at some point throughout the game (I would like to expand on quest-like routes for acquiring pokemon)
  • Different starter pokemon (Not sure which would be suited yet, or whether there will be a choice)
  • Hidden grotto like areas (The rom I will be modifying is FireRed)
  • Other secret areas (Accessed by doing a number of things, some may be sequence based, others may be accessed only with certain pokemon in your party (haven't tested if this sort of thing is possible))
  • I would like to reward the player for walking, running or riding to places, rather than flying. (Probably would be after the league or after acquiring Fly. Ways I would reward may include rare pokemon spawns only possible through this method, rare items being awarded/found and rare trainer encounters)
  • Expanded single player trading (I want players to be able to acquire golem, machamp, gengar etc.)
Let me know if you guys would be interested in something like this and what things you would like to see in game. This is a side project of mine and as such I will not be dedicating a lot of time to it, which means delayed release, so sorry in advance for that.

The best I've played (haven't played many, mostly due to how long it takes to finish them) was LightPlatinum, a hack which put all the 'mons of the first three or four generations into a single game, and had two regions to explore... Using the GBA.

Your ideas sound good - I stopped playing the original Pokemon games after the GBA because they felt a lot like the FIFA games: Adding a lot of flavor around the main dish, but said main dish remained the exact same.

The best I've played (haven't played many, mostly due to how long it takes to finish them) was LightPlatinum, a hack which put all the 'mons of the first three or four generations into a single game, and had two regions to explore... Using the GBA.

Your ideas sound good - I stopped playing the original Pokemon games after the GBA because they felt a lot like the FIFA games: Adding a lot of flavor around the main dish, but said main dish remained the exact same.
Hmm adding all pokemon from Sinnoh sounds like a huge effort, and based on light platinum the rom hacker behind that thought the same. I might give that a try but honestly adding all pokemon from a future gen sounds slightly impossible. Love the idea but the game only has so many pokemon slots I believe.

I'll try to add some originality to the hack, but there is very little that can actually be done unfortunately as I rely on other already created programs to help create the hack. Is there anything in particular that you would like to see in game that deviates from the norm?

Oh, wow I tried creating a hack a little while ago with a middle eastern type region and fakemon, but it never really worked out :p Would love to sprite some more fakemon tho
wip.png
wipghoast.png

What a co-inki-dink!

It's funny because Pokemon changed the most in the fourth generation, with the physical and special split and online battles. :p So saying that you stopped at third gen because of how much the games didn't change is kind of hilarious to me.

On topic, I'm always looking for good pokemon rom hacks, so by all means, I'm interested :p

Online capabilities in a game are like neon lights in a car to me. I played a few hours of Black and White, but all I saw was the same boring tall grass farms, pushover AI trainers and a B-movie plot. Also, having to get both games to see all 'mons. Hence, LightPlatinum > Fourth gen games.

Online capabilities in a game are like neon lights in a car to me. I played a few hours of Black and White, but all I saw was the same boring tall grass farms, pushover AI trainers and a B-movie plot. Also, having to get both games to see all 'mons. Hence, LightPlatinum > Fourth gen games.
I think you would enjoy Blaze Black 2/Volt White 2 Razor, it has all pre x and y pokemon acquirable throughout the game unlike LightPlatinum which only has some of sinnohs pokemon. Plus you can trade pokemon with people that have black 2/white 2, as if you had the original game.. Just don't go trading pokemon with changed types like Serperior, bad things may happen...

FireRed that is still fun to play after the Pokémon League and rewards the player? That's amazing.

I would love to play something like this! If you need any help I can do something. I don't know what, but I would love to help!

One thing that you should do is have Gengar and the other trade evolutions evolve at a certain level, instead of trades. Unless you have something for that already, but that's what I think.

FireRed that is still fun to play after the Pokémon League and rewards the player? That's amazing.

I would love to play something like this! If you need any help I can do something. I don't know what, but I would love to help!

One thing that you should do is have Gengar and the other trade evolutions evolve at a certain level, instead of trades. Unless you have something for that already, but that's what I think.
Trades probably would have been easier but I may just make them evolve a certain level so players can keep their moves, I guess it makes more sense this way :p

Depending on how serious you're planning on making this hack.
I'll say quality over quantity, you don't have to add in all the pokemon from every gen.
You can stray way from the usual pokemon game and focus more on your own custom story.

I know hacks that've tried to do something new like,
- You're a member of Team Rocket
- In a zombie apocalypse
- Mega evolutions (Yes, in a gba rom)
- Follow manga/ anime storyline

Some turn offs I find in pokemon hacks
- Have severe glitches (e.g. Jam while randomly walking)
- Extremely long and complicated useless texts
- Unnecessarily overleveled opponents (unless story intended)
- A lot of npcs that do nothing useful (players used to the usual pokemon game will expect at least one of
100 npcs to give something so they talk to everyone but NO, nothing at all)
- Poor grammar or understanding of language
- Stupid :redmunch: puzzle design that's stupid
- Fakemon. Unless it's good, just don't

My suggestion or do wants
- Almost open world. You can freely go to any gym anytime
You focus on the story instead
- Items instead of HM moves can be used for obstacles
- A lot of in-game trading with npcs
- More than 8 gyms. Like 16 gyms but you only need 8
to challenge the elite four
- A good Red continuation story
- Increase chance to encounter shiny
- All exp in-game x0.5 (faster gameplay)
- Elite four, arena style
- Have Mega evolutions

Disregard everything you know about and do whatever you like.

If it's minor tweaking like evolving pokemon by trading single player
some third party tool can do that easily. (Nuzlocke and whatnot)
I play my pokemon games on the computer. Can't imagine what it's like to have no fast forward button.

I'll say quality over quantity, you don't have to add in all the pokemon from every gen.
You can stray way from the usual pokemon game and focus more on your own custom story.

- In a zombie apocalypse

- A lot of npcs that do nothing useful (players used to the usual pokemon game will expect at least one of

- Have Mega evolutions

I play my pokemon games on the computer. Can't imagine what it's like to have no fast forward button.
You know what your serious spoiler made me want to start hacking pokemon. I started once but got bored because I just asked why but now it seems cool.

I'll say quality over quantity, you don't have to add in all the pokemon from every gen. - I want to add the ability to at least acquire all of the Pokemon up until FireRed. Sinnoh is a consideration, however I don't know for sure if I want to take this route as it can tend to be very tedious (Copying stats over and whatnot)
You can stray way from the usual pokemon game and focus more on your own custom story. - I wasn't really thinking of changing the story too much, however I will take it into consideration. Probably will just be an extremely altered FireRed experience so you won't feel as though you are playing through the game for the 200th time

- In a zombie apocalypse

- Have severe glitches (e.g. Jam while randomly walking) - Some glitches may not be in my control because of the tools used, however I will try to tackle any glitches that show up.
- Extremely long and complicated useless texts - I don't really see any reason to add such things, so you most likely won't be seeing this in game :)
- Unnecessarily overleveled opponents (unless story intended) - Won't have trainers that you have to interact with over-leveled, however there may be some that are like post-league trainers, mostly for experience.
100 npcs to give something so they talk to everyone but NO, nothing at all) - Hate this as well, a nice balance is needed. I will try my best to get the balance just right
- Poor grammar or understanding of language - English is my first language, plus I'm in University... I hate having to play through Victory Fire for this reason.
- Stupid :redmunch: puzzle design that's stupid - Elaborate?
- Fakemon. Unless it's good, just don't - Might add some that my spriter makes, if that was his intentions. I'll see if I can get him to upload some of his fakemon, no promises though. He's already posted some in thread that I believe he made a while ago. He's pretty talented so if he wants to sprite them, I'm almost certainly going to add them

You focus on the story instead - Not too sure about this... Gyms may or may not be story line content
- Items instead of HM moves can be used for obstacles - Like this idea, not too sure what could be used for what obstacle, however I will keep this in mind
- A lot of in-game trading with npcs - I like this as well. That boosted experience is everything to me
to challenge the elite four - I may make the current gyms re-doable after league with boosted stats/new pokemon (evolutions of their previous pokemon)
- A good Red continuation story - Not sure on story yet
- Increase chance to encounter shiny - Had this in mind already :p
- All exp in-game x0.5 (faster gameplay) - Not sure how feasible this is with my current knowledge but I will keep it in mind
- Elite four, arena style - Elaborate?
- Have Mega evolutions - Haven't played X and Y so this might not happen. We'll see about this...

I would love to make more fakemon, the only problem is coming up with concepts that aren't complete crap. :p If you want a good example of a poorly made rom hack that uses fakemon in the wrong way and essentially has all the turnoffs he listed there, just play pokemon quartz or snakewood.

- In a zombie apocalypse

My suggestion:dryadtongue: or do wants
- Have Mega evolutions

Oh, did you mean all exp in game x1.5? Because x0.5 halves it and that is definitely not faster gameplay :dryadtongue:

And to jordan, editing EXP multipliers might just be a variable, but I think that it's Pokemon specific and could be really tedious to implement.

Oh, did you mean all exp in game x1.5? Because x0.5 halves it and that is definitely not faster gameplay :dryadtongue:

And to jordan, editing EXP multipliers might just be a variable, but I think that it's Pokemon specific and could be really tedious to implement.
You can change per pokemon but I want to find another way to do it because that is just going to be horrible

Oh and if you want to take some inspiration, Fire Red Omega is a brilliant difficulty increasing rom hack. It doesn't add too much new content, but it is a good hack none the less.

Wait dude, there was a hack called "UltraViolet" which did things similar to this. It had all Pokemon and an increased shiny rate. Here are some ideas to make it different.

• Lots and lots of sidequests scattered about the story - maybe that one person in Pewter could know something about Team Rocket starting again and you have to investigate their headquarters. (Could be canon too, as they start up again in between Gen 1 and 2
  • Maybe new islands? Ultraviolet had a new island iirc. They're a fresh way to add to a hack without changing the experience of the first game.
  • Making the legendaries more important to the plot, as you're having the ones from gen 2 and 3. Y'know, now that I think of it, you can do a LOT to make it feel fresh. With the new Pokemon you can have miniplots about the 3 main Gen 3 legendaries. That would be nice.
Just my ideas.

EDIT: If you're willing to go through with this hack, I'd love to help you think of some content or balancing. I don't want credit I just really want to see something like this done!

Last edited:
Wait dude, there was a hack called "UltraViolet" which did things similar to this. It had all Pokemon and an increased shiny rate. Here are some ideas to make it different.

• Lots and lots of sidequests scattered about the story - maybe that one person in Pewter could know something about Team Rocket starting again and you have to investigate their headquarters. (Could be canon too, as they start up again in between Gen 1 and 2
  • Maybe new islands? Ultraviolet had a new island iirc. They're a fresh way to add to a hack without changing the experience of the first game.
  • Making the legendaries more important to the plot, as you're having the ones from gen 2 and 3. Y'know, now that I think of it, you can do a LOT to make it feel fresh. With the new Pokemon you can have miniplots about the 3 main Gen 3 legendaries. That would be nice.
Just my ideas.
Side quests/side stories based around the legendaries seems like a nice way to add them. Other side quests might actually have rewards for completing, making the game actually seem more like an rpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom