Game Mechanics Armor/Vanity-Themed NPC Lines

J Fizzle

Golem
Hello again, all you TCFers out there willing to actually view a post that may or may not only have under 10 likes! It's Cloud_9_Gamer, the one most of you don't know due to extreme lack of popularity!
Now, I know what you're thinking, "Of course he doesn't know what I'm thinking, he can't read minds... or can he?"
And the answer is, no, I can't.
HOWEVER...
For reasons I can understand, the NPCs don't seem as... ooh, let's say... lively... as they should be.
A reason for this may be that they need more lines, as some people state.
As I was playing Terraria on my iPhone today, I thought about the diamond ring the travelling merchant sells, and how the merchant would react to it... if he could.
Thus, the idea for Armor/Vanity-Themed NPC Lines was born. Or created, rather.
This is similar to my friend @Jack3t's post of Biome-Themed NPC Lines. I'd support this thread, it's a brilliant idea. Why the devs haven't added it into the game, I don't know!

Having explained that, time for some examples.

Ex. 1 Merchant, while wearing diamond ring: That's a nice ring you have there. Care to... trade it for an angel statue?
Ex. 2 Demolitionist, when wearing molten armor: Go! Get away from my house! With that getup you're wearing, you'll blow it all up!
Ex. 3 Angler, when wearing angler outfit: Are you mocking me?
Ex. 4 Travelling Merchant, while wearing Peddler's Hat: How'd you get ahold of that hat? Which one of my merchant brethren sold you something so rare? And why is there a bloodstain on it?

As a separate suggestion semi-related to this, though it seems a little strange...
Hair Dye-Themed NPC Lines! Am I going overboard with this?
I actually just came up with this idea, as I was thinking about the party hair dye. Care to hear an example?

Ex. 1 Party Girl, when wearing using Party Hair Dye: Ohmygosh. I absolutely love your hair, it really reveals your... outer party.
Ex. 2 Wizard, when using Mana Hair Dye: I can see that mana runs through your body... Or your hair, at least.
Ex. 3 Stylist, when using any hair dye: No, no, no... how am I supposed to cut your hair with... that, in it?
Note: Ironic NPC Line is ironic. She's the one who sells you those hair products.
Get it?!

I'm actually going overboard now, I'm man enough to admit when I know I'm doing bad for the world. Get ready...
Moon Phase-Based NPC Lines! Just tell me when to quit, I'm desperate for popularity... `:cry:

"Oh boy, here he comes with more dumbass ideas that the devs will never even consider in the slightest..." Yes, I know what you're thinking. I'm not popular well-known enough to influence the developers at all. And you're probably correct. But that won't stop me from posting item and mechanic suggestions, whether they're good or bad.

So here's an example.

Ex. 1 Clothier, during the night of a full moon: Ooh, that moon brings back memories. Maybe I'll have something else for you to buy off me tonight... If you care to check.
Please, comment on any suggestions you have!

So that's all I have now, but until next time...

That's all, folks!

Last edited:
I've felt that many NPC's don't react to certain events like you would expect them to. I am in full support of this idea.

I'd love to see NPCs react to bosses and invasions too. "There's a giant lovecraftian beast peeping through the window, but boy, that sun is hot!".
Perhaps making them seem concerned or scared would help in making them more lively.

I'd love to see NPCs react to bosses and invasions too. "There's a giant lovecraftian beast peeping through the window, but boy, that sun is hot!".
Perhaps making them seem concerned or scared would help in making them more lively.

Exactly. Quite often the NPC's don't react to certain situations (such as invasions or bosses as you said)

You keep mentioning, 'popularity'.
Honestly, if you have an actual well-crafted and good suggestion, you might just have an influence on the devs.
'Popularity,' really does has no say in that, regardless of whether you have it or not.
Nevertheless, I do support this suggestion, as I do believe it to be rather a good one, will keep watch for any updates.

You keep mentioning, 'popularity'.
Honestly, if you have an actual well-crafted and good suggestion, you might just have an influence on the devs.
'Popularity,' really does has no say in that, regardless of whether you have it or not.

Thx, Priva. I guess I never really thought about it that way.

(I know I try to act humorous, but this is genuine, I promise.)

Back
Top Bottom