PC Artificial biome requirement changes?

FuzzyOcelot

Terrarian
I was enjoying the 1.4 update and I was planning on building a fishing complex (specifically the one here) and I noticed that after filling in all of the required tiles the background and water color didn't change. From testing, this wasn't just a visual thing; every area that was supposed to be a different biome was regular forest instead.
A few things worth mentioning:
My highest platform is on exactly level surface.
There are 3 NPCs nearby.
The biome blocks are encased in sandstone brick as opposed to something like stone slab.
The fishing complex is built on one of the worlds outer forests.
I've attached screenshots of the fishing area and a clear view of inside the box from Tedit.
Can anybody help/does anybody know if 1.4 changed building biomes?
(Oh, and sorry if this doesn't fit T-MEC. I just figured its more on the technical side, so it would be worth posting here.)

Attachments

• Capture 2020-05-19 21_42_10.png
    Capture 2020-05-19 21_42_10.png
    861.2 KB · Views: 2,651
  • biome_box.PNG
    biome_box.PNG
    91.8 KB · Views: 766
We need to dig into source to know how biomes work. I think(guess?) some people are already doing this. Keep an eye on wiki updates.

We need to dig into source to know how biomes work. I think(guess?) some people are already doing this. Keep an eye on wiki updates.
Figured they just changed the requirements. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they are. Although, I do want to try experimenting around a bit to see if I can find the new numbers myself (unless the change was more than just number based).
EDIT: Doing some basic testing, I got an artificial jungle going with 140 lizahrd brick. Even if the others are impossible at least we can still boost spawn rates.
EDIT 2: Full stack of snow blocks, no biome. At least we have pylons now, even if its less efficient to not have snow in the complex.
EDIT 3: 300 blocks for Corruption, 300 blocks for Crimson, and strangely enough 135 blocks for Hallow (and I imagine the rules of Hallow and evils canceling each other out still applies).

Last edited:
The wiki did update.

Turns out that a full stack of snow blocks simply isn't enough. Snow, desert and mushroom biomes all require 1500 blocks.

Wiki says hallow requires only 125 blocks. Did you ignore some mini plants?

For other experiments, wiki agrees with you.
Looking over it again, I just failed at doing basic math, it is 125.
1500 blocks seems a little ridiculous to me, especially for glowing mushroom, since you have to make an artificial one most playthroughs.

Do ice blocks count for making a corrupt snow biome? I currently have a stack of 1600 purple ice blocks and the background has changed, but no corruption minions are spawning... I am very confused.

1590714690261.png

Last edited:
Do ice blocks count for making a corrupt snow biome? I currently have a stack of 1600 purple ice blocks and the background has changed, but no corruption minions are spawning... I am very confused.

View attachment 274842
might be because of the background walls or the ground tile type, or your depth. which enemies exactly are you trying to spawn? I'm guessing you are trying to get cavern layer enemies which means you have to build your farm way lower than that.

@FuzzyOcelot
hi there, if it's a one stop fishing complex you're looking to build
woops, just saw you linked PapaBear's fishing complex thread which is where I was gonna send you :D
the posts on new 1.4 requirements start on bottom of page three on that thread
a few of us are working on expanding it to include new mushroom requirements, and ocean and sky island, and npc happiness ^_^

Last edited:
@FuzzyOcelot
hi there, if it's a one stop fishing complex you're looking to build
woops, just saw you linked PapaBear's fishing complex thread which is where I was gonna send you :D
the posts on new 1.4 requirements start on bottom of page three on that thread
a few of us are working on expanding it to include new mushroom requirements, and ocean and sky island, and npc happiness ^_^
Thanks for letting me know! I built the original 1.3 complex the day I made this thread, so just 3 days after 1.4 dropped, so I didn't really see the updates.
Pretty cool that people have already figured this out and made it so practical for 1.4 (well, as practical as having two 1,500 block areas can be), and I'm really hoping that once a "final" version is made with max NPC happiness and every possible fishing spot is accounted for the main post is updated so all the info is in one place.

View attachment 274842
only snow mobs check corresponding biome to spawn, most of the other mobs only check the corresponding floor.
corruption mobs can spawn on top of any corrupted blocks in any biome, but cannot spawn on other block even if you're in corrupt biome

Back
Top Bottom