As I see Terraria lore.

How do you like it?

• Exactly what I thought!

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Plausible, but has some inconsistencies. (please comment)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Well... I dunno.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You got it all wrong! (please give your version)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Necrius

Skeletron Prime
First in the world of Terraria were two sides fighting each other - ancient spirits of light and dark. The latter were led by Cthulhu, an immortal deity of immense power. Since he can't be destroyed permanently spirits of light decided to imprison him. They tore Cthulhu apart and sealed him and the spirits of dark in the underworld behind the Wall of Flesh with themselves to keep world from utter destruction. Only a couple of Cthulhu body parts, Skeletron and the Eater of the Worlds escaped imprisonment. Brain of Cthulhu infected the land with its power and turned it into morbid Crimson, Eater of Worlds turned lands into Corruption and Skeletron cursed the ancient dungeon, using Clothier as an anchor for it. Remaining weakened spirits of light turned into Dryad and Guide, who help travellers make the world habitable again and fight Corruption and Crimson.

Sacrificing the Guide awakened the Wall of Flesh from its sleep, making it seek and destroy the one who did this. Its destruction released ancient spirits of light and dark. Ancient spirits of light created the Hallow to fight Crimson and Corruption, but they were angry on the player for releasing their foe and endangering the world once again. That's why Hallowed biome is trying to kill player as well. So they utilized modern technology and their deceased foes' remains to create 3 mechanical beings that must punish the player for his foolishness (yes, mecha bosses are from spirits of light - that's why they drop hallowed bars). The battle and destruction of those beings makes ancient secluded Lihzahrd civilization aware of returning of ancient spirits, so they summon Plantera - a powerful spirit of nature - to protect their home. It doesn't work, so they have to resort to their old technology and use the Golem to fight off the intruder (I guess that's why he's weak - the last resort of a civilization afraid of destruction).

So, by breaking a shadow orb/crimson heart, player releases bits of dark power which was accumulated by escaped evil spirits - Eater of Worlds and Brain of Cthulhu (Skeletron is selfish and not really loyal to Cthulhu) - in order to destroy Wall of Flesh and release their masters and brethren. this power upon release makes different cataclysms occur, like falling meteors. Goblins are outlanders either hunting for meteorite ore or influenced by evil powers into trying to conquer the land that has those power accumulators (since ignorant goblins are way safer than some guy hammering down shadow orbs/crimson hearts).
Pirates are invading because they heard that some land got rare and precious metals (hardmode ones) and there are people who may be wealthy due to the fact that they're in control of those resources. So they decide to pillage the land, enslave inhabitants and make them mine those precious ores.
Moon events and frost legion are unexplained because they can be only summoned.

While spirits of darkness are weakened and few in numbers, they could only once in a while provoke a Blood Moon event, unleashing their power to distort the moon in order to not let sunlight be properly reflected on the land. In Hardmode, when spirits of darkness are powerful again, they make moon block sun completely, letting even more vile beings from the nightmares appear.

Guide, as said in the beginning, is actually a minor spirit of light turned into human to guide (well, duh) newcomers to the land of Terraria.

Nurse comes over when she learns about some brave adventurer in a great physical condition that sometimes requires medical attention.

Merchant comes to establish a shop on newly inhabited land, since people here are known to have money and need different goods.

Arms dealer comes over after he learns about a guy with a gun on some previously uninhabited land. Has gun - needs ammo and may purchase more gun. Same with demolitionist.

Dryad comes when she learns about heroic deed of vanquishing one of lesser spirits of darkness. She decides to ask player's assistance to fight off the evil biomes.

Old man was one of previous inhabitants of Terraria, imprisoned and cursed by Skeletron before all locals escaped or died. He stops aging and becomes immortal. After being released from the curse he decides to move into new town.

Painter just moves into a new town to offer his services, since he sees the town growing.

Dye trader comes, since he learns about people gathering ingredients for making wonderful dyes.

Party Girl comes into a growing town to find new friends and throw new parties.

Angler fell off the boat in his sleep and was brought to the beach by the tide.

Mechanic was thrown into a dungeon by old man. I guess Skeletron wanted to grow stronger by making her upgrade him (So he'd become Skeletron Prime, but he couldn't make it - player comes and spoils everything).

Goblin Tinkerer was a smart one, who understood that this conquest is suspicious/is a horrible idea. Refused to participate and was thrown into caves by goblin leaders for treason.

Stylist came to this uninhabited land before player for some reason (no idea why), got lost in the caves and happened to get stuck in spider nest.

Witch doctor is a Lihzahrd that didn't want to live a secluded life and decided to contact a person who killed Queen Bee, so he can have access to her remains for studying and rituals, since honey and beehives are so useful.

Wizard was bound and left to die by cultists of Cthulhu for refusing to help them empower demon/crimson altars and make them spread the biome.

Truffle moves into a surface mushroom biome because living a nomadic life underground after the release of ancient spirits became too dangerous.

Pirate is one of the captains who decided that living peacefully with locals is a better idea than dying while participating in an invasion attempt.

Steampunker learns about mechanical monstrosities on some distant land and comes to see and study them.

Cyborg is a military scientist that got himself badly damaged with explosives, so he had to replace most of his body with implants. He comes over when learns about a person being in possession of grenade launcher. (I don't know how to tie him to Plantera, only to grenade launcher).

Last edited:
First in the world of Terraria were two sides fighting each other - ancient spirits of light and dark. The latter were lead>led by Cthulhu, an immortal deity of immense power. Since he can't be destroyed permanently,>(unnecessary) spirits of light decided to imprison him. They torn>tore Cthulhu apart and sealed him and (insert "the") spirits of dark in the underworld behind the Wall of Flesh with themselves to keep world from utter destruction. Only a couple of Cthulhu body parts, Skeletron and the Eater of the Worlds could've>could escaped imprisonment. Brain of Cthulhu infected the lands with its power and turned them>it into morbid Crimson, Eater of Worlds turned lands into Corruption and Skeletron cursed the ancient dungeon, using Clothier as an anchor for it. Remaining weakened spirits of light turned into Dryad and Guide, who help travelers make the world habitable again and fight Corruption and Crimson.
Other than that seriously good story so far.

I have an idea for the "Hardmode" section- perhaps they found the corpses of the pre hardmode bosses and upgraded them into mechanical beings?

It's fun how people are starting to speculate on what the actual background story is of this game. I honestly think it's very complicated. But I agree with the fact that there were ancient beings of light and darkness that once fought each other. The ladder being led by Ctulhu.

I don't think Cthulhu was ever imprisoned, only damaged and weakened to the point where he had to split into smaller parts to survive. I also don't see how the Eater of Worlds and Skeletron relate to Cthulhu. I believe they are separate beings spawned by Cthulhu to take control of the lands (or remains) of what Cthulhu once had. If he was imprisoned you would think he would come back in one piece.

You the player are the biggest threat in this game, your story is unknown. Nobody knows who you are or where you come from. But suddenly you're just there, you are intelligent and quite powerful. You can use magic and know how to craft thousands of different usable objects for your own selfish use.

By using the things you create, you decide to explore the world and disturb what was once a peaceful land. Your curiousity is what is causing EVERYTHING that happens in this game. You kill the inhabitants, you take their resources and you release deadly spirits onto the world, because you were so curious about what was behind the wall of flesh. No! It doesn't stop there! You somehow utilise the powers of both light and darkness to create even more objects for personal use. You continue to feed your curiousity and eventually, kill everything that opposes you. You are just that powerful.

One thing is for sure, the player does NOT belong in this world.

I don't think Cthulhu was ever imprisoned, only damaged and weakened to the point where he had to split into smaller parts to survive. I also don't see how the Eater of Worlds and Skeletron relate to Cthulhu. I believe they are separate beings spawned by Cthulhu to take control of the lands (or remains) of what Cthulhu once had. If he was imprisoned you would think he would come back in one piece.
He was physically destroyed and then his spirit and most body parts imprisoned. After being released, his resurrection at full glory had been made difficult by player killing Eye and Brain while they were too weak to be immortal. Skeletron and Eater of Worlds are Cthulhu's minions, lesser ancient spirits of the dark that took physical form.
Eventually Cthulhu will come back in one piece, but it won't cover player's life span. Or it would, if Red decided to add Cthulhu as final boss. But I doubt it.

I think they merely return to their spirit forms and rest to restore to full once again. The dark spirits never really disappear.

Back
Top Bottom