Ask a Derpling anything.

Astute observations, Keeper of Knowledge. Allow me to elaborate on the finer details. When the first worthy terrarian bested the Wall of Flesh, the lizhards discovered a critical flaw in the Golem, only made clear by observing the terrarian's journey. The Lizhards worked tirelessly to repair the construct, but by the time the three mechanical bosses were deconstructed, golem was not fully operational. However, it was still able to put up a fight, but sending it out risked permanent damage at the hands of the terrarian. The Lunatic Cultist, at the time merely a powerful mage in the Solar Order, decided to take this matter into his own hands. Rallying some followers, they stole one of the ancient tablets that was being used as a failsafe for the Moon Lord Seal and used its power to eradicate the terrarian, destroying it and them in the process, so completely that neither could return. As a result of his impulsive actions leading to the loss of the tablet, the lunatic cultist was banished from the Temple. Bitterly, he and his followers left for the abandoned Derpling Laboratory, intending to use the advanced technology left there to create a weapon to destroy the Moon Lord. They were unsuccessful in this task, but they managed to create another tablet using the advanced derpling technology hidden in the dungeon along with the remains of the tablet used to incinerate the first worthy terrarian. However, before he could use it for anything, he recieved news of the Golem's destruction. Realizing that the seal was almost undone, he resolved to temporarily set aside his resentment and create a new layer to the seal, in a last-ditch effort to affirm that the terrarian was strong enough to destroy the Moonlord once and for all. This history may contain some inaccuracies due to being passed on for so long via word of mouth, but it should mostly be accurate. The specifics of Golem's critical flaw have been lost to time, but I believe it was something to do with the chains connecting the fists to the body, or perhaps the fists themselves.
The Lunar Order lived in the dungeon for quite a while, they simply waited until they detected that the Moon Lord Seal was almost broken to reveal themselves. The Solar order rejects magic, and the Lunar Order had been practicing it for a while, which is what actually got them exiled from the Jungle.
What does she do for you?
She gives us information and helps us research her Lycanthropy, such as what can cause/cure it etc. She also gives us intel on the Terrarians just in case it comes in handy.

The Lunar Order lived in the dungeon for quite a while, they simply waited until they detected that the Moon Lord Seal was almost broken to reveal themselves. The Solar order rejects magic, and the Lunar Order had been practicing it for a while, which is what actually got them exiled from the Jungle.

I see. Guess Lunatic Cultist was lying, or the story got warped through the passage of time. Then again, I heard it from Blue Cultist Archer who heard it from Lunatic Cultist so that's probably the cause of the inaccuracy.

What is the crazily low level of security in your old lab? The keys to the most high quality loot are literaly in the hands of a skeleton who will die in seconds to a terrarian. Why do you even let anybody carry them? Why dont you just lock them in the deepest and most desolate part of the lab where nobody could ever get to? Why are they even locked anyway? nobody uses them and thus won't care if they are stolen.

What is the crazily low level of security in your old lab? The keys to the most high quality loot are literaly in the hands of a skeleton who will die in seconds to a terrarian. Why do you even let anybody carry them? Why dont you just lock them in the deepest and most desolate part of the lab where nobody could ever get to? Why are they even locked anyway? nobody uses them and thus won't care if they are stolen.
The security was tighter before some of the skeletons breached the inner sanctum and gave themselves the credentials for the dungeon's weapon capsules. This was after the Necroavirus had already run it's course, so we didn't feel the need to intervene as our laboratories had already moved to a much safer location by that point. We did have higher security before, but the quality of it depreciated over time.

How do I become a derpling?
Hmm, that’s an interesting question that hasn’t really been thought of before. I suppose it would be generally easy to pull off if your mind is compatible with a derpling body, we tend to mess around with consciousness transferring a lot to begin with. I’ll have to get back to you on that.
Why do you only come out in hardmode?
Even though the Assessors have weakened themselves, the Terrarians are rarely ever ready to face them before then. The Terrarians actually do face Scouts (Cyan Beetles), Workers (Cochineal Beetles), and Harvesters (Lac Beetles) in prehardmode though, those roles just usually create illusions which fake their death so it appears they are defeated when they actually aren’t. They do this not to gather data, but to subliminally drive the Terrarians away from their place of work.

Last edited:
Why does it have to be a conscious transfer?
What, is physical transformation just not an option?
We haven't really ever had to conduct a transformation, as a result it would be inefficient compared to a consciousness transfer, which we have been doing for several years.

Back
Top Bottom