tModLoader AStar Pathfinding

It's available on tModLoder's Mod Browser.

Thank you. Ive been playing it for a while and the ai is substantially improved, however there are slight hickups in frame rate (at least on my system) when flying enemies (specifically the eyeballs) are bouncing off a nearby wall trying to get at me.. They do have enough room on the other side of the mound to get inside but they are not really trying very hard..

Overall though the mod is fantastic and making combat much more enjoyable. Thanks for the hard work and i hope you continue to make mods for this game!

Everytime i try to change the settings in the .json files they go back to default when i run the game....

Trying to remove the glitchy/teleporty movement to the npc's by tweaking things but nothing stays where i set it.
Trying to edit update npc time or whatever.

Made the .json read only to force the computer not to mess with the file and it xcaused an error when running the game.

Object synchronization method was called from an unsynchronized block of code.
at Terraria.IO.Preferences.Save(Boolean createFile)
at AStar.Config.SaveConfig()
at AStar.Config.ReadConfig()
at AStar.AStar.Load()
at Terraria.ModLoader.ModLoader.do_Load(Object threadContext)

Last edited:
I've tried this mod a few times, and unfortunately I've had a number of performance issues and NPCs tend to clip through the floor at times. In my latest instance, for whatever reason just having it installed will cause the game to crash within a couple minutes, like simply stop working altogether, no crash message or log, just immediate crash to desktop, despite having worked fine for like 10 minutes or so the first time I used it in the same instance. Which is a shame, since this is an amazingly good mod and concept, as the pathing in Terraria (or, let's face it, lack thereof) has always disappointed me.

In my latest setup, I was primarily trying to use it for Town NPCs only (and had the settings set for such) but the aforementioned crashing and clipping issues made me uninstall for now. I was mostly using it for one thing- Making Town NPCs not complete idiots. I don't suppose you've ever considered releasing an incredibly cut-down version that mostly uses Vanilla pathing, but just allows Town NPCs to path through platforms, that's it?
Not sure if that's even possible. It just drives me insane to continually have them all end up in the attic room walking back and forth on the spot because they have no concept of "down". They just gather in one spot and walk back and forth.
It would be a great small-impact QoL mod, and given you seem to know quite a bit about pathfinding, I figure you'd be the person to ask if that's possible.
upload_2018-11-2_17-6-30.png

Also, it's the spot in that same room where the stairs start where they kept clipping half into the floor, whenever they did manage to path through the stairs, they'd dip down into the ground to get passed them.

does this really work with modded content..it keeps crashing with "A new Guard Stack Cannot be Created"

It should work, but it is memory intensive right now so it can't be run with many mods at once.

Development for this mod has paused once again.

I just wanted to drop in and say how much I love this mod and how I am sharing it with people, please don't get discouraged this mod is a massive game changer and I appreciate it so much
I agree! If you can find some way to just get the performance just a bit smoother (and, in an ideal world, improve compatability with mod-added mobs) this would be a must-have in so many modlists! Terraria's default "pathfinding" has always driven me insane from how generally stupid it is, and this really does a ton to make it feel so much more alive.

Back
Top Bottom