PS4 Auto Select is unable to use Smart Cursor

UndyingSun

Terrarian
While holding the Auto Select (AS) button, Smart Cursor (SC) will not toggle. Having SC on before holding AS will toggle SC off until AS is released.

Video Examples:
Toggling SC while AS is held

SC turning off when AS is held

Main idea behind this was to allow the player to position their cursor without forcing them to push a bunch of buttons, then start using their tool and let go of AS (the tool you selected continues to be used if you started using it then let go of the AS button - except smart cursor will be on). Having smart cursor on personally led to me breaking way more than intended, and having it toggle on/off by holding AS is in my eyes a convenient way to save pressing smart cursor every time while still affording you the same functionality.

With that in mind, would you say this system feels clunky to use compared to if smart cursor was just made accessible right out of the box? Would you say that auto select would benefit from additional changes besides this one (making it toggle-based like smart cursor)?

It does feel clunky as it is now. Placing torches is more of a hassle without a background wall; you need to position the cursor in an empty space directly left or right of a block before being able to place. Its a little weak for trees too since you have to position the manual cursor on the thin space the tree occupies before releasing AS to chop it down. SC snapped to these spots easily in 1.3.

I think adding an option for what cursor AS uses by default would work well. An option for a toggleable AS is great too. Could go something like this:

AS Default Cursor: [Manual -> Smart -> Currently Toggled]
Auto Select Toggle: [On -> Off]

Back
Top Bottom