PC Automated Sand Factory - Useless Farm?

Igor CruZ

Terrarian
Since the Antlions shoot sand endlessly, why not use it to our advantage?

Gif 4.gif

I present some of the most crazy creations: The Totally Automated Sand Factory, built to generate tons of sand while the player just needs to sit and watch, follow the pictures and then the Explanations of How It Works:
Capture 2018-01-22 20_41_42.png

Capture 2018-01-22 20_43_19.png

[Cleared Image] Full Layout, to the right, the Spawn Surface, and to the left the Well that is filled with sand, above it, a teleporter with two destinations: One back to the Base, the other teleports to the bottom of the well for collecting the sand with the Shroomite Digging Claw, the player must position himself on the two obsidian platforms, to ensure that the Antlions see him and start firing sand.

Capture 2018-01-22 20_42_34.png

Wiring: To the right this is a HoikTrack that activates the teleporters above to teleport the Antlions to the Teleporter on the left, next to the Well.
In the middle: A "Cascade Timer", I'll explain why he was there.

How it works: The player stands on the Obsidian platforms above the pit, and pulls the lever to activate the 1 second Timer in the middle and act the blocks above the spawn surface so the mobs can spawn. A Dummie Ghost is teleported to HoikTack in the middle of the farm and goes from block to block until it reaches the first pressure plate, this plate causes the spawn surface blocks to go into the background, making the Antlions and others mobs fall {The antlions remain standing, but the Vultures tend to fly towards the player. (To deal with this I have made a wall with the "Ghost Wall Glitch", the Vultures pass through it and get stuck in the lava}.
On passing the last pressure plate, the Dummie is teleported to the beginning of the HoikTrack, at the same time another Dummie Ghost is teleported to the HoikTrack below the spawn surface, activating all the teleporters, and finally causing the spawn surface return to the normal state.
Antlions and mummies are teleported to near the player in a box with hoiks throwing mobs to the lava, (All except the Antlions, those are not affected by Hoiks, and end up going to the area to the right of the pit, give they detect the player and start throwing sand.)

Notes:

* Up to 12-13 Antlions can accumulate by throwing sand, this way the Pit fills in 10 ~ 15 minutes

* The total yield is 1 Stack (999) and 600 sand blocks.

* After the well to fill completely, the player must use the teleporte to go to the bottom and collect the sand.

* In the first project, the spawn surface was 1 block tall with the teleporters below, but for an unknown reason, the antlions were not spawning, I had to do with 10 blocks of sand for them to start spawning.

* The Farm features a water candle and jungle temple blocks to maximize the spawn rate.

That is all! Now I ask you: Is it more profitable to create other maps and go mining sand or build this farm in your world? Remembering that the well can be raised to yield more sand, and some of my friends consider this farm "useless", and I built it just for an idea that I carry a lot of time playing terraria.

{Please sorry for the english mistakes, i´m Brazilian:D}

Last edited:
Seeing this structure, it would probably take longer to get sand but probably wouldn't be as cool. That looks amazing. Good job.

LOL, it is a neat idea, but I do think it is far faster and easier to just make a new world and dig up the desert and beaches if you really need a ton of sand.
I think turning this into an Antlion Mandible farm would be a better idea.
`:)

LOL, it is a neat idea, but I do think it is far faster and easier to just make a new world and dig up the desert and beaches if you really need a ton of sand.
I think turning this into an Antlion Mandible farm would be a better idea.
`:)
After the well fill you can kill the Antlions before collecting the sand, because when you teleport down, they tend to disappear :^)

View attachment 192234

I present some of the most crazy creations: The Totally Automated Sand Factory, built to generate tons of sand while the player just needs to sit and watch, follow the pictures and then the Explanations of How It Works:
View attachment 192236

View attachment 192238

[Cleared Image] Full Layout, to the right, the Spawn Surface, and to the left the Well that is filled with sand, above it, a teleporter with two destinations: One back to the Base, the other teleports to the bottom of the well for collecting the sand with the Shroomite Digging Claw, the player must position himself on the two obsidian platforms, to ensure that the Antlions see him and start firing sand.

View attachment 192237
Wiring: To the right this is a HoikTrack that activates the teleporters above to teleport the Antlions to the Teleporter on the left, next to the Well.

How it works: The player stands on the Obsidian platforms above the pit, and pulls the lever to activate the 1 second Timer in the middle and act the blocks above the spawn surface so the mobs can spawn. A Dummie Ghost is teleported to HoikTack in the middle of the farm and goes from block to block until it reaches the first pressure plate, this plate causes the spawn surface blocks to go into the background, making the Antlions and others mobs fall {The antlions remain standing, but the Vultures tend to fly towards the player. (To deal with this I have made a wall with the "Ghost Wall Glitch", the Vultures pass through it and get stuck in the lava}.
On passing the last pressure plate, the Dummie is teleported to the beginning of the HoikTrack, at the same time another Dummie Ghost is teleported to the HoikTrack below the spawn surface, activating all the teleporters, and finally causing the spawn surface return to the normal state.
Antlions and mummies are teleported to near the player in a box with hoiks throwing mobs to the lava, (All except the Antlions, those are not affected by Hoiks, and end up going to the area to the right of the pit, give they detect the player and start throwing sand.)

Notes:

* Up to 12-13 Antlions can accumulate by throwing sand, this way the Pit fills in 10 ~ 15 minutes

* After the well to fill completely, the player must use the teleporte to go to the bottom and collect the sand.

* In the first project, the spawn surface was 1 block tall with the teleporters below, but for an unknown reason, the antlions were not spawning, I had to do with 10 blocks of sand for them to start spawning.

* The Farm features a water candle and jungle temple blocks to maximize the spawn rate.

That is all! Now I ask you: Is it more profitable to create other maps and go mining sand or build this farm in your world? Remembering that the well can be raised to yield more sand, and some of my friends consider this farm "useless", and I built it just for an idea that I carry a lot of time playing terraria.

Its a great idea if you ever need sand, but it is kinda useless, seeing as you can mine it yourself. But good job building it. :happy:

As others have said, yeah raiding a new world would be faster but I myself just recently had to create another world to gather sand which kind of feels a bit cheaty to me. I thought that'd it'd be cool if this, what you did, could be made possible; or rather, good enough to be a substitute of creating a new world. Really cool man, and thank you for sharing.

Glass for bottles for potion. Connect this to a potion farm, and you have yourself infinite potions!
[doublepost=1524017232,1524017191][/doublepost]It ain’t youshlesh, itsh a prittie good oidea.

Glass for bottles for potion. Connect this to a potion farm, and you have yourself infinite potions!
[doublepost=1524017232,1524017191][/doublepost]It ain’t youshlesh, itsh a prittie good oidea.
Am i the only one who said that on a new york accent
[doublepost=1524019897][/doublepost]Or 'new york style' accent at least?

In the first prototype I did in a desert biome, but I still needed at least 10 blocks in height on the spawn surface...
I had a look at the source code. The sand block on which the antlion spawns should satisfy a condition, that there must be at least 40 tiles of sand (or the evil/holy counterpart of sand) in a rectangle region with width 9 and height 8, while the spawning block is at the center of the first row of that rectangle.

More precisely, the region is not necessarily a rectangle. The counting is like counting the size of a fishing pool while this counting goes vertical first and horizontal next. So a teleporter under the spawn block will block the counting.

From this observation I guess maybe 8 tiles work? I haven't done any experiment though.

BTW, all sandstorm enemies seem to spawn at the same counting condition.

PS: The space needed to spawn mobs is always 3*3 regardless of the size of that mob. There are extra if's for some large mobs, but that's after the decision of a spawning.

Edit: Yeah, I see that you are using precisely 8 tiles of sand blocks, which meets my observation. So actually you can have only 5 tiles of sand because the region is 9*5=45. In this case, to make the leftmost or rightmost blocks spawn antlions, you can add extra sand blocks to the left or to the right.

Last edited:

View attachment 192234

View attachment 192236

View attachment 192238

View attachment 192237

Notes:

Another way to duplicate sand is to have an armour/buff that preserves ammo and using the sand gun. You can use necro/shroomite armour, ammo reservation potion and an ammo box. You can automate it with a rubber band afk farm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom