Map-Survival Axis Mundi

CellarDoor96

Terrarian
Hello everyone! This is my first major stab at a custom map, so I'd like to get some people's feedback.

Basically, this map is just meant to be an enhanced version of the regular Terraria map with a few extra biomes and mini-biomes. It was inspired by a map I played a long time ago whose author I can't remember, but which basically consisted of only two biomes: a greatly expanded underworld and a "heaven" biome made of cloud blocks. I thought the idea of a heaven biome to oppose hell would be interesting, so I took it and made a map of my own.

The differences don't stop there, though. Heaven is up there, but it's an endgame biome, so it's sealed off and can only be accessed through the titular Axis Mundi (Latin for "world axis), which is what I'm calling the big tower dungeon located at spawn. This tower is present for the whole game, but most of it is locked off until you find the Temple Keys scattered throughout the map. Each section of the tower you unlock grants access to special loot, with better loot the further up the tower you go. There are four doors in the tower, so there are three keys, with the final one obtained by defeating Plantera. Once the last door is unlocked, you are granted access to heaven, which has all kinds of goodies waiting for you. Because Temple Keys are used for this, the Lihzahrd Temple is gated until after heaven and contains slightly improved loot (and higher difficulty) to compensate.

That's not all, though - the much-maligned desert and underworld biomes also contain some new content. Nothing huge, but it's enough to bring you back a few times. I'm considering also adding a few minibiomes to them, for which I have a couple ideas in mind.

Here's the download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv316prv4828ntw/Axis_Mundi.wld?dl=0

Currently this is a work in progress because while the map is functional, I still have some work to do prettying it up. In particular I still have to add slopes to the Axis Mundi and heaven biomes (I might just do that in-game, TEdit's slope system is awful), and I want to make the tower and the heaven dungeon a bit fancier. Like I said though they're meant to be biomes, so I tried to copy the game's randomly-generated feel (not to mention I am not a builder, lol). I may also add a few more mini-biomes and dungeons like I mentioned earlier, too.

Anyway, try it and tell me what you think! All feedback is welcome!

The map has been updated with a few things, mostly aesthetic, but worth a redownload imo. The only really major change is that the difficulty of heaven has been increased slightly, but there are also several smaller changes such as a much better-looking entryway into heaven.

Besides adding slopes to everything (which will be a mind-numbingly tedious process whether I use TEdit or not; if anyone knows a way to speed it up then please let me know), the only big thing I currently have planned for this map is a crashed-UFO minibiome in the desert, but I'll probably take a break from editing this map for a while since I'm busy with other things as well. I will get around to updating it eventually, though.

Well, maybe just add slopes to the landscape and not the buildings that might be up in "heaven". The crashed-UFO should have slopes (and be built with slopes in mind).

Back
Top Bottom