**REPORTED** Backup files are populating in the recycling bin every time I play.

SicMundus

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Every time I play Terraria, world backup files start to populate in the recycling bin. They all have the .bak extension and bear the name of my current world. I'm unsure if this is a bug or not, but I don't recall this being a thing in versions prior to 1.4. After several hours of playing over multiple days, I have accumulated 55 .bak files in my recycling bin which itself is taking up approximately 400MB. Since this process isn't communicated to the user, it's safe to assume that many people will be unaware of what is happening. This can be a problem since an increasing amount of space will be taken up on their hard-drive and they might be completely unaware as to why, since the recycling bin doesn't delete files without user intervention. I feel confident that this isn't intended and while I'm not the only one who is experiencing this issue, I wonder if this is a rarer issue than others.

Edit: I should mention that this is completely vanilla. I've never used mods.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this, because I didn't notice that this was happening at all!
I checked my recycle bin, and it was packed full; very much appreciated.

There is an option in the config.json called "WorldRollbacksToKeep"; if set to 1, this does not happen. By defeault it's set to 2, i think.
It is a new option to prevent some world corruption issues, but files appearing in the trash appears to be unintended behaviour. I suggest making backups manually regardless.

Thank you. This issue is still something that should be addressed by the developers but it's good to know there is a potential fix to use in the meantime.

Welcome to the forums SicMundus!
The behaviour of keeping multiple backups and putting backups into the Recycle Bin was added in 1.4. It has caused problems for some players. The behaviour is being revisited and may change in a future version.

Welcome to the forums SicMundus!
The behaviour of keeping multiple backups and putting backups into the Recycle Bin was added in 1.4. It has caused problems for some players. The behaviour is being revisited and may change in a future version.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom