bad things in the school system thread

I was what teachers considered 'an easy child'.
I didn't get into fights with other students and teachers, I was quiet and I did my work peacefully.
Every time my report card came in, the teachers would always comment:
"Oh I wish I had Elivyr in my class only, they're such a good student"

This conditioned me to believe that my only redeeming quality was being low maintenance, and even now I struggle to ask for more than the bare minimum.

I was what teachers considered 'an easy child'.
I didn't get into fights with other students and teachers, I was quiet and I did my work peacefully.
Every time my report card came in, the teachers would always comment:
"Oh I wish I had Elivyr in my class only, they're such a good student"

This conditioned me to believe that my only redeeming quality was being low maintenance, and even now I struggle to ask for more than the bare minimum.
cool schooool jam info down your throat

I’d say the biggest issue is how poorly paced it is for students who need more help.

If you’re naturally a good student, you have tons of opportunities on your hands. You find opportunities to get into honors and AP classes, get more college opportunities for your higher GPA, get more scholarships for your higher test scores. It’s a cycle, where being a good student feeds into getting more opportunities. Which isn’t a bad thing on its own, but the fact is that there’s rarely anything to help students who are weaker academically get caught up.

Let’s say you’re a C student - passing, but not considered “good” by school standards. You work hard, but you get placed in standard classes. You miss out on chances to take honors and AP, which both limits your GPA even further and keeps you from getting as many college opportunities.

You’re expected to just magically get better at school and just take honors and AP, but it doesn’t work like that. Schools don’t prepare you for honors and AP classes, meaning that if a poor student does try to take them, they get even lower scores and get screwed over even harder.

Let’s also look at the SAT, a major test that students take in junior year and is the number 1 thing schools in America look at alongside your GPA. The SAT covers reading and math, which already naturally means it’s unfairly weighted toward more academic students. It also covers tons of topics especially in Math such as conditional probability that you may only pick up on in Honors or AP classes. For example, I’m taking AP Language this year and noticed on the SAT practice how much easier the reading section was compared to previous practice years.

To me, schools need to actually offer a hand up to students who are struggling. Most poor students I know still work as hard as they can and just aren’t skilled when it comes to school, and they shouldn’t be screwed over from colleges and other opportunities just for that. Schools need to help lower students get help, rather than just make sure the already good students get showered with opportunities to become even better students and leave everyone else in the dust.

What I’m saying is, schools should focus on making students academically smart instead of rewarding them for already being academically smart.

I don’t how it is in the rest of America but in Ohio, SAT is hardly relevant. Most colleges only care about the ACT. Speaking of the Devil, I did poorly on my pre-ACT. It was at a 17, which is below average. But my GPA is at a solid 3.7. That’s mostly A’s and one maybe two B’s. Because of how well I would do in my classes most teachers would often praise me for how intelligent I was. While it does definitely boost my confidence I strongly dislike it when teachers do this.

Why do we as a society let the letters of an assignment or test define who we are? I never understood this. I only maintain a good GPA because of my work ethic. Most assignments we receive are for a completion grade anyways. That means my intelligence is often misplaced by people who quickly look at my grades. I hate to break it to ya but, I’m not smart.

Just because you got an F on a test doesn’t mean you’re stupid. Conversely, just because you got an A doesn’t mean you’re smart. Sure, you could argue there may be some sort of correlation but that doesn’t mean you should jump to conclusions so fast. I get A’s because of my work ethic not because of my intelligence. And to survive in this world to some extent, I care much more about the former than I do the latter.

I think students should be allowed to use their creativity when solving these problems. There should be certain assignments which allow students to have a more open approach to solving.
Yeah, it’s so stupid how they would make you use their method when yours is way easier

I think a common problem I see in most schools is that they don't teach you stuff for life in some countries anyway :V. Like I'm not opposed to History or essays but it would be really helpful if they actually thought us real life stuff instead of us figuring out ourselves.

Oh and if your school is competitive, good luck in the 'rat' or 'rank' race. I don't know if the city I live in is a bubble or not but hate that colleges and schools require teenagers to be "special". At that rate wanting to be unique makes one follow the crowd... ironically.

I was a "gifted" student, always craving more knowledge at a young age, but I learned almost nothing in grade school and got straight A's up until 7th grade when I started to decline in grades as my attention span had heavily decreased over that time. I eventually realized that school required effort and I didn't want to care for the age old factory system anymore if it couldn't teach me in 7 months what I could learn in 3 or less when I need it for practical reasons. Money doesn't solve much school problems as likely admin will just abuse it. I'll rant more later, but school is clearly not working well anymore for many people.

Back
Top Bottom