bad things in the school system thread

The drills for sure, gives unneeded stress to prepare for unlikely events which you wouldn't react to that way.

The drills for sure, gives unneeded stress to prepare for unlikely events which you wouldn't react to that way.
that is a good example indeed
fire drills are nigh pointless, as we would RUN FOR OUR LIVES rather than orderly walking out of the building
tornado drills are fine i guess
but the intruder drills could be better

Lockdowns to me are pointless for a person breaking into a school, yet that seems to be the first thing everyone thinks of. They are important for other things though.
Fire drills are important, though even at my school which seems to be pretty good judging by everything I've seen, they could be executed better. Not much you can do about human stupidity though.
And I've never had to do anything for a tornado as those aren't really a thing in my area.

Having a plan for natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, etc.) and practicing that plan is very important. It gets students used to what will happen (leaving their stuff behind, walking out calmly, the loud alarm) and what they should do so they DON’T freak out and run around hysterically when the real thing happens. Now is doing a drill every month excessive and disruptive? Yes, drills could be done less often but it is fact that they save lives and are necessary.

Now lockdowns are an entirely different beast. I remember one time in high school when our school director talked to every class about what to do during a lockdown. She basically told us that the district's strategy of locking us in classrooms was stupid because the shooter would get to us no matter what and the police most likely wouldn't help. She instead told us to slow down the shooter in any way we can (throwing heavy objects, blocking their path, barricading doors, etc.), carefully get out of the school, and run as far away as possible. You can’t prepare for a mass shooting without doing an elaborate mockup and the idea that hiding in a dark room will do anything is stupid. The shooter knows what the procedure is and they will find a way in. The problem needs to be fixed at the source instead of bandaid solutions that do almost nothing. (Spoiler because school shootings are a sensitive topic and we aren't in the mature discussion category)

Last edited:
Now lockdowns are an entirely different beast. I remember one time in high school when our school director talked to every class about what to do during a lockdown. She basically told us that the district's strategy of locking us in classrooms was stupid because the shooter would get to us no matter what and the police most likely wouldn't help. She instead told us to slow down the shooter in any way we can (throwing heavy objects, blocking their path, barricading doors, etc.), carefully get out of the school, and run as far away as possible. You can’t prepare for a mass shooting without doing an elaborate mockup and the idea that hiding in a dark room will do anything is stupid. The shooter knows what the procedure is and he will find a way in. The problem needs to fixed at the source instead of bandaid solutions that do almost nothing.
This is what I mean. Lockdowns are not just for shootings. In the US I wouldn't be surprised if that is considered a far more likely possibility, but I do remember having at least one real lockdown when I was far younger because an animal got into the school.

I thought for a long time that the school system in many countries (including mine) tends to be a "one size fits all." For instance, I was considered "different" by many people and I never thought like I fit in with ppl my age. I always felt like I was forced to fit in so I could be considered as a good student along with the rest. At first, I thought I was in the minority and that I was in the wrong; until I met my long term friends and a few neurodiverse people and realized that they've been feeling the same way.

Last edited:
The public schools in my area keep on getting more and more funding, But they aren't improving in any sort of way. So they aren't underfunded, but all the extra money being given to them is just vanishing. I can understand that sometimes a teacher needs a raise and that they built a new metal gate but with the funding steadily and still increasing, I'd really like to see some actual changes done there.

You know how when you walk 2 feet into school and you got literally every teacher in the building saying
"TAKE YOUR HOOD DOWN!" or "TAKE YOUR HAT OFF!"
I hate that
I asked why no hats or hoods are allowed on in school and the teacher thought for a minute before saying "Its disrespectful."
HOW THE HECK IS WEARING A HAT OR HOOD 'DISRESPECTFUL'!?!?!
School shooters.

I hate when schools pass failing students for no goddamn reason. I was a victim of this in my middle school years and now i struggle with algebra and other high school math. And it didn’t help that my mother and father didn’t teach me anything as i was homeschooled during that time. I still get annoyed when i get called smart because i don’t do stuff that is considered smart and i am not deserving of being called smart because i finally learned to tie my shoes at age 17 when most kids below that age already know. If i could i would remove all contact with my family except my brother and sister and go live somewhere actually worthwhile. Just anywhere but america.

Then why don't they just :red:ing say that? There is no excuse not to own up to being worried about potential shooters. But nope! They seem to really like the 'disrespectful' explanation
The security thing is the real reason why hats and especially hoods aren’t allowed but it’s also partially tradtion. Back in the day hats were a utility item used to keep dust off your head. It was respectful to take of your hat when indoors so that you don’t get dust everywhere. Hats are obviously more of a fashion item now but a lot of older people still hold onto the “hats indoors are disrespectful” thing out of tradtion. The younger teachers might say it’s disrespectful because they are also old fashioned or because they feel their status as the teacher is being threatened by you breaking the rules (which is a whole other can of worms).

Last edited:
If you as a teacher are threatened by a hat, you have some whole other issues to address. Such as being absolutely pathetic as a human being.

If you as a teacher are threatened by a hat, you have some whole other issues to address. Such as being absolutely pathetic as a human being.
To play devil’s advocate, a dress code is good for a work environment. It’s an easy way to make sure that people will follow rules. If they can’t obey the dress code, it’s unlikely they’ll obey anything else with how low of a bar it is. Now I’m not saying a hat is worthy of an offense for that but that is their reasoning

I think this sums it up pretty well
1681001023979.jpg

Back
Top Bottom